360 - Fuel pump leak RH side 360 Modena | FerrariChat

360 Fuel pump leak RH side 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by ItalienCar, Feb 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Over the last couple of drives, I was smelling some gas fumes around my car after parking it.
    Narrowed it to the RH rear vent.
    Took the side panel out and noticed some fuel at the top of the fuel pump (see picture where the white strip points to). It isn’t a substantial amount of fuel but needs to be addressed.
    I’m thinking that I need to replace the whole fuel pump,correct?

If so, any DIY tips for this? I have read about the 360 spider replacement, but it looks really tight for the Modena.
    Also other than the pump (part number 239814) any other replacement parts I should be getting?

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Use the search function here plenty of threads on the subject, Good luck

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    This is NOT DIY if you are not experienced. Replacing the fuel pump is not a big deal... but getting a proper seal is very important... and if done wrong will result in fire. Not a hard task... but suggest you get an experienced mech buddy to help if you have not done this type of work.

On my e36 m3... if you don't get a proper seal on the fuel pump hat seal.... you will just get some fuel on the ground under the car.... the try again..... on the mid engine 360 and fuel pump hat seal leak will most likely end up in flames.

ItalienCar likes this.
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The pumps you have, with the 'white' caps are likely original to the car. The newer ones are more orange/yellow.

For a Modena, the RH/passenger side pump is 239814. You'll also need the seal 170946 and probably lock nut 170945

100% agree with @one4torque : don't try this project as a first-timer.

Red 27 likes this.
  5. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Mine started leaking about a year ago and I had them replaced by dealer. The mechanic there - a friend - noted that it was very difficult to accomplish this task without doing further damage to the fittings in close proximity. Maybe he was exaggerating the issue, but he seemed definitely worried. In the end job was completed successfully.

6. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Thanks for the information and feedback!
    It does look a little tricky with respect to pulling the assembly out, due to limited direct vertical accessibility.
    I’ll bring it to my local independent Ferrari mechanic.
    Being that it seems to be a standard failure, I’m pretty sure he has done several of these.
    As most posters have mentioned, not something you want to do incorrectly when dealing with 360s!!!

one4torque likes this.
  7. ItalienCar

ItalienCar Karting

Nov 12, 2016
    California
    Appreciate the breakdown of the parts.
    I wonder and hope that the updated version was a design improvement, and has a longer lifespan!

Ricambi America likes this.
  8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is VERY true!!! Please don't take this lightly. I have a friend with a 360 that had the pump replaced by what was supposed to be a competent Ferrari shop. Approximately 2 days later, he went for a drive and saw flickering in his rear view mirror. By the time he was able to safely pull over, the whole engine compartment was engulfed in flames. He safely got out of the car, but within the minute, the whole car was burnt to a crisp!!! The only good parts left were the fender shield on one side, and the front wheel on the same side.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Yeah.... not sure plastic pressurized fuel bits were a good idea to place ABOVE the headers...... but what do I know?

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I have one thing to warn people, even experienced mechanic , while doing this job.

The connection from the pump nozzle to the hose leading to the injectors CAN BE loose if the mechanism inside the connector is somewhat half broken.

I'd check the connection 3 times before going on a drive.

Here's what happened to me

1. I replaced the fuel pump
    2. drive 3 miles of test drive.
    3. everything good and after about 30 min, drive it again, found fuel oozing out of the area like hell ( hose disconnected)
    4. thank god it doesn't catch a fire while the header is still hot ( maybe 200 degrees F by my estimate)

one4torque likes this.
  11. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I've done both sides in my spider, simple enough. I even filled my right side pump during a rally with jb weld, the top section where it leaks and no issues. Sorry to hear about a car fire but pretty straight forward to me and I a jack of all and master of none. Cheers

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Brett - agree not difficult but consequences of leak are big.. perhaps lose a house car and family.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I replaced the fuel pump on mine, the hard part was the access for the nuts and bolts. Wrangling the pump in and out can be challenging as well. Other niggly part was ensuring the hose is plugged on to the pump. Agreed though, if you haven't done a water pump on a Porsche or repair on a tight access car like a Porsche.. bring it to a mechanic.

14. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Have an expert change both pumps. Make sure you ask to be very careful not to bend the fuel indicator when they install the pump, because otherwise you will not get proper reading... I learned it the hard way when I ran out of gas after a fuel pump replacement.. Apparently the fuel indicator would not go any lower than 3 bars , even when the gas tank was empty. For the record the fuel tank in the 360 takes exactly 85 liters when completely empty... We fixed the issue now, but I still reset trip odometer each time after refueling and at 270 km I start looking for gas station and at 300 km I know I must refuel...

15. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy

Watch this and decide for yourself. I did both sides of mine about 2 months ago (2002 360 Modena), I am pretty handy and just went slow and took lots of pics along the way. Good luck.

ItalienCar likes this.