Ferrari California ticking noise | FerrariChat

Ferrari California ticking noise

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Raz93, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raz93

Raz93 Rookie

Feb 7, 2020
    England
    Full Name:
    Raheel osman
    Hi all

I’ve owned my Ferrari California for 3 years. Currently on 40k miles 2010 model. I have a weird ticking noise coming from the engine and it continues even when the car is warm and reving up. Any ideas?

2. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Have u recently changed the oil? I had this in a Maserati and the brand of oil actually made it audible. Seems silly but was the cause. Hopefully it’s something that easy

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Direct injection systems are known for ticking noises which is actually the solenoid firing. Of course, you likely would have noticed that if you've owned the car for 3 years. Does the speed of the ticking rise and fall with the revs or is it constant?

4. Raz93

Raz93 Rookie

Feb 7, 2020
    England
    Full Name:
    Raheel osman
    It’s had its service on time every year and is due one in 3 months. It does 3000 miles a year if that. So today I let the car warm up and it went quiet until I started to drive. As I’m driving it’s ticking with revs increasing. On idle it’s quieter. Higher revs louder noise lower revs increasing speed perfectly fine. Only when applying pressure on the accelerator I’m getting the noise. Going to try get it in this week. Sounds like the lifters but don’t know if anyone has ever had the same issue.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sounds like lifters. They can stay pumped up at idle, but then when you increase the revs, they collapse.

Here's what I'd do.
    Fill the tank with as high octane as you can find. Add STP Injection Cleaner.
    Run the tank as close to empty as possible.
    Fill it again.
    Add Sea Foam Motor Treatment to your engine oil. One ounce per quart of oil is the recommended amount.
    Give the car a nice little drive where you can rev it out a bit. Not hard, but get it out of the town for a good 50 km drive.
    Let it sit over night and take it to your dealer for an oil change.
    The Sea Foam should now have cleaned out any possible blockages in the oil passages.
    If the lifter tick persists, it's time to look inside and see what's up.
    Do you know which oil your dealer uses?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Raz93

Raz93 Rookie

Feb 7, 2020
    England
    Full Name:
    Raheel osman
    The car has always been serviced at Ferrari and have never had to top up oil. The car in all honesty is used mostly around town. It’s hardly driven out of town till summer. I will give it a gentle but good run. I am getting the check engine light flash at me and then go off which is odd.

I’ll give it a try and get back to you.

Thanks

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you're not going in for the oil change this moment as an immediate fix, wait until you're going in for service to add anything. Personally, I don't like additives to sit for a long time. Do the treatment with the additives no more than a week prior to going in. Also, your tank with the STP cleaner should be used completely before you get the oil changed as the cleaner can affect the oil in the long run. That's why you need a fresh tank of fuel with no STP cleaner when you go in for service. The Sea Foam will of curse come out with the oil change, so don't worry about that. Just don't add it until a week or less prior to the service so you don't run around for three months with Sea Foam in the engine.