Vintage Guitars | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Vintage Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thecarreaper, Dec 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound

Love Steinbergers :)

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sorry for the late reply SD. :)

Give the guitar a go man, you will probably enjoy it and end up buying it. :D

If you look at his original KH 'Caution Hot' ESP guitar, he had the fretboard removed and replaced with the same scalloped one that is on the KH2-SE.

This was done in mid 2014 from what I can tell from the pics I have seen online. The 'Caution Hot' guitar has been his main guitar for nearly 20 years now.

He must love using the scalloped fretboard now and he might even have all his regular stage guitars done the same way also. :)

3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #453 PAP 348, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bought a 2003 Kirk Hammett Custom Shop KH2 off Ebay last week. :D

I didn't need this, but couldn't say no to the price. The quality is amazing as to be expected, it sounds awesome too.

It will go with the other 11x KH guitars under the bed and probably won't see the light of day for another 10 years lol. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Having access issues to Gibson & Indie chat sights. I'm a Gibson guy. A Les Paul guy. I've owned three in the past and am considering another one. Back in the day Gibson had three LP's for the taking. Custom, Standard & Studio/MM. Had them all

What I'm looking for is a LP with binding, no weight relief and no coil splitting. So far the only one I can find is a Les Paul Custom. I hate the Richlite fret board and the $4800 price.

Any recommendations? I choose to purchase new.

Thanks

5. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    #455 PhatFrank, Apr 6, 2016
    mdrums likes this.
  6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great collection man!! :)

I REALLY love that black LP. What year model is it?

Cheers Pap

7. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    It's a 2004. Wonderful axe:).

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nice Explorer. I had the chance too strum a few chords on one back in '80s.

9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cheers mate, I bet it is. :)

10. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    #460 PhatFrank, Nov 12, 2016
  11. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    #461 Duane_Estill, Dec 4, 2016
    I just got this last week, and I can't put it down. I've played it a minimum of two hours every day. This is a 1979 Stratocaster, Mexican Red, three bolt neck, 5 way selector switch, completely stock, in like-new condition. This was obtained from Travis Womack, who is a blues guitar player in his own right, and was the band leader for Little Richard in the 50's. He is also an international broker of vintage instruments, mostly acoustic, but he just couldn't pass on this one, nor could I.

The most noticeable thing about it is how loud it is acoustically, and the incredible sustain. It is almost as loud as an acoustic guitar unplugged, and it just sustains for days. I'm playing it through a Peavey 5150 II tube amp, half staick, and it is just incredible. Very bright, crisp, sustainy, rich sound. I have 5 American strats from 1996-2003 and this is by far the best sounding. It's just so musical that is inspires me to play, and I don't want to put it down.

12. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McKeown
    There's a soul and energy in good instruments. Just like the cars, when it comes together with the right person it is pretty magical.

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats to see man. Guitar looks very nice and amazing to think it's like new condition after all these years. :)

Hope you're still enjoying playing it mate. :)

14. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool, congrats and enjoy. :)

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    It's been nearly 3 years since anyone posted in this thread. :eek:

Anyone got any new guitars in the last 3 years? :D

16. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I was able to go to Circle Pines Minnesota, and spend and afternoon and evening with Jim Olson in October of 2017. Jim's small jumbo guitars have been James Taylor's go to guitars since the late 1980's. He is an amazing luthier, and for years was putting out around 60 new guitars a year. He is nearing retirement, only making 27 in 2018, and less in 2019, as he has bought a spot in Arizona at Desert Mountain, and golf has become a passion of his.

I got to take a buddy who introduced Olson's to me in the late 90's. I had bought a 1998 Small Jumbo, a rare Olson 12 String, and was there to pick up Jim's one and only 40th Anniversary Model, which he really blinged out with his best woods and special touches. He is a humble guy who spends 10-12 hours in his shop each day, when he's not on the golf course. Got to go to dinner with he and Sue, and it was the best 8 hours my buddy and I have had in a long time. He took us through the whole build process, and we got to look at his wall of fame, photos of all the huge iconic stars that have come through that small shop. McCartney, Sting, Crosby, Phil Keaggy, and a ton of others.

I have since sold the first SJ I bought to a buddy, bought it back a year later, and then sold it back to him after buying the Anniversary model.

Jim Olson builds some amazing usable art !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks for sharing that Philip, that is incredible! I have never heard of him or Olson Guitars, but those guitars look amazing. :)

I don't play acoustic guitars, but I will take a look at them and show some friends who do play them. :)

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  18. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

As most know I am in a band and playing all over the world, so see lots of guitars! We played in Chicago and went to a guitar show. Saw these all sitting on a table that could easily fall over id someone bumped into it! HA Here is a picture looking from my drums at Bang Your Head Festival in Balingen, Germany.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great **** man! :D

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That sounds more like it. :p

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Wow! Although those are acoustic, looking at that collection reminds me of Nigel's guitar room in Spinal Tap. Don't touch it! Don't even look at it! LOL

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-5io1muSQ

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    how have guitar prices trended last 5 years? Wasn't it about 10-15 years ago they really went through the roof?

24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Certain guitars are still going strong Rob.

My ESP Kirk Hammett collection of guitars has doubled, some even quadrupled in value in the last 5 years.

I don't think your standard Gibson Les Paul Custom has gained any value in the last 5 years, but I think anything that is a "signature series" guitar of a famous player has shown strong growth.

Schatten and rob lay like this.
  25. MrHeels

MrHeels Rookie

Feb 13, 2020
    I like everything vintage, and vintage guitars are a masterpiece. Thank you for the posts, I got great pleasure viewing photos of guitars.