Would you buy a F430 today? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Would you buy a F430 today?

Discussion in '360/430' started by lencap, Oct 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    Congrats and nice find! The lower miles cars seem to all need a clutch sooner or later (when I own) vs buying one with 25-30k that has a new clutch. Seems like you found a sweet spot.

Ideally a Silverstone F1 coupe priced fairly with a new clutch makes sense for me if anyone stumbles across one:)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks! Sorry to burst a bubble for you, the 2009 I mentioned was Silverstone Grigio and beige with inserts and highly carbon optioned. It just wasn't my color hence my hesitation. Look up McLaren of Boston and you can find the pictures. They took it in on trade, put it on AutoTrader and flipped it fast.

3. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall

4. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    dweintra: sorry. I corrupted your post when I tried to quote it for my response. Tech Luddite here.

5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
  6. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
  7. 03EVOIII

03EVOIII Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    Parker, CO
    Full Name:
    Scot H.
    Good post OP! New to the forums and starting to look at getting into my first Ferrari. I am just now starting to look at the 360 and F430. I am looking at higher mileage 360s...do people think the prices (upper 50's to upper 60's) are fair? Similar F430 with high miles are 30-50K more from what I have seen so far. I'm sure some are biased here.. but is the 430 that much better? I think they both look great so I am not really particular to one or the other. Also, I feel like if I want to do more modding, the 360 might be the better choice. Any opinions on that?

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

One thing I like about the 430 is that it looks good. When I watch shows I am not mesmerized by it; but when I see one in the flesh I turn my head and I love its priportion. Definitely a great car for the money. I personally would prefer it to the 360 but I may love the 355 even more although a completely different era. Can’t go wrong with a 430 that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unreelviper likes this.
  9. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I recently got interested in Silverstone and was initially thinking I wanted red. I have learned a lot about what I really want, what options, etc so I am glad I did not jump to buy one too quickly. Sounds like that car (and your car) were excellent values.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  10. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi guys, I'm new to this section, always hanging around at 3x8 and lately reading some threads in this section.

I'm in the market for a F430, not in a hurry but I would love to obtain one.

I've looked at 3 cars, at which mileage do the clutches go on average or is it to hard to tell? can the clutch life can be checked by an external computer?

I've seen plenty of DIY stuff like fixing a loose mirror or loose/damaged tail lights which are common on them. I understand F1 oil changes are crucial and it should be done properly with cleaning the filter in both pump and bottle/casing.

kind regards
    J

11. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Welcome to the section!

I'll try to help a bit.

Clutch life is typically not correlated with mileage, but with driving style.

Yes, the clutch life can be checked. Assuming the car is not on its first clutch, you have to rely on the fact that whoever replaced the clutch set the appropriate parameters in the TCU, allowing for subsequent clutch life to be calculated.

Kevin

12. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks Kevin, what would you recon about the market for F430's I know it's very unpredictable.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    100 to 130 shld get a nice 430 spider from low to high miles

unreelviper likes this.
  14. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Not sure it is possible to predict market trends. I personally feel that the value proposition for both 360s and 430s is very good right now. I would feel very comfortable buying either. But DEFINITELY buy based on your happiness, and not on predicted future value. Then you will never regret the car!

Kevin

timjen88 likes this.
  15. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I drove a F458, F430 and a F360 before settling on a F430. This is my opinion and might offend some owners.

The F458 has more power, but barely noticeably more than the F430 but the dual clutch really kills it for me. I understand it's performance is better, but (and I've said this in other posts) it feels like a dentist's daily driver. The exterior is not as beautiful as a F430 or F360, but the interior feels more modern though still comes with it's quirks.

The F430 is much more powerful than the F360, it's night and day, white knuckles vs classic car power level difference. The F1 systems are much better on the F430. With the F360 feeling very sluggish, vs the spirited (some say brutal) shifts of the F430. Interiors are close to fit/Finnish with lots of lots of quirks (leaky windows, shrinking leader, ect). The externally F360 is the best looking of the three, again in my opinion.

If only comparing the F360 vs F430, my final opinion is, if you are looking a leisurely drive in the countryside, either will do but if you want to get pinned to your seat, and go on an erection educing ride, spend the extra money and get a F430.

The last comment I'll make is unless you're looking for a garage queen/collector car that will sit with the hopes to sell it for retirement money, don't be scared of high miles. These cars are tough and if you notice on this board, all the ailments that affect these cars don't seem to discriminate based on model year and mileage. Get a PPI (don't skip this) and make sure to make the inspector look for the common issues, see if the seller addressed them (with invoices from parts vendor or service shop) or plan to fix them when they come up. Don't skimp on the preventative maintenance, actually drive her and she'll do you right.

16. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting view point Marco, thanks!

There are really good F430 examples currently out there, I've found a great looking 360 F1 in coupe but it seemed the car stood (parked) for a year and that put me completely off..

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Hard to beat a 430 and current prices. Just need to check if exhaust manifolds have been replaced and F1 actuator. Those are the only 2 problem areas. Otherwise these things are solid.

18. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    To put this back to where it began-F530 V FF, I suggest trying an OTO F612 with HGT2.
    You get the V12, the 2 clutch system, unbelievable brakes, a mid engine car, a classic look and 4 real seats.
    It is truly surprising on both the road and track.
    In today’s market, you can find one for ~$130K US.

if haven’t tried one, you should!

19. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Did you post this in the incorrect thread?

Kevin

20. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Oops!
    The original question was F430 VS FF
    Sorry

21. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016

You have my dream line up! I sold my 550 for a F430. Miss the 550 but they are very different, loving the F430. I also think that the 675LT is such a crazy buy currently!

22. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I love the old school driving style and timeless beauty of the 550. The great thing about the 550 and 430 is that they have the perfect amount of power for the street and they give you the pure sensation of driving that’s largely missing in today’s supercars.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.