355. How to remove steering column cover? | FerrariChat

355. How to remove steering column cover?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, May 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    #1 Klas, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

2. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuiXReUgakQ]Ferrari 355 Steering Column Surround Removal - YouTube[/ame]

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I took quite a few pics when I did mine on my 348 which I'm pretty sure is the same

348 DIY "Restoration" - Page 136

IMO removng the scerws to raise the speedo binnacle is essential although some claim not to need to

4. Ky Fan

Ky Fan Karting

Mar 13, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Parking in the middle of the day in downtown baltimore with the top down also works.

5. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ky Fan, my only question with this removal technique is if the car will be returned? I live outside of Baltimore and had a Buick Grand National also.........................taken I can only assume, to complete the steering column removal, that was started in front of my house that brief period in my life I lived downtown.

Mark

6. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    This link to the video just saved me from myself- reinstalling de-sticky'd steering column cover and couldnt figure out that I needed to remove the two screws that hold the instrument cluster to raise it up.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No it is not the same.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Lower the steering wheel to its lowest position.
    Remove the instrument cluster (2 screws, 5 connectors) will make you swear less and it only takes 5 minutes more.
    Remove all the screws and bolts holding the two upper and lower shells together. This is when you find out how cramped it is under the steering column.
    Remove the bottom one, and get the top one out the carefully trying not to break the fragile screw holders

Qavion likes this.
  9. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    It gets easier after the 3rd one...Ive done over 30 now. 348, 355, 360 and 430. Patients is a virtue.

10. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    It might be useful to those who undertake the removal of their steering column to know that, unlike what the sticky no more video says, there are 7, not 6 screws to remove. Two are located next to each other in the same hole and it is easy to miss one. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    1, 2 are long parker screws, so are 6 & 7, except longer. 3, 4, 5 are short threaded screws.

There are no clips attaching the two shells. They bottom one should come out easy if you lift the instrument binacle.

Qavion likes this.
  11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    FYI---There are two variations to the steering surround, 6 speed and F1---I have encountered alot of them with only 6 screws.......

Qavion likes this.