Request for New Owner Advice | FerrariChat

Request for New Owner Advice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bka80s, Feb 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    Greetings and Salutations

I’m new to the forum and joined in order to gain opinions and information from knowledgeable owners of these fine machines. I’m a new Testarossa buyer with a purchase timeline within the next 30 to 60 days.

I’ve decided on a year range from the five lug 1988 to the 1990 model year (it’s just a personal preference on the model year choice, mainly driven by nostalgic reasons). Any words of wisdom as I begin test drives and the PPI process?

I’m interested in hearing from current owners in regard to suggestions on personally stocking consumable parts (oil, filters, plugs, etc.). Is there a go-to place you recommend for these items, or just buy from a Ferrari dealer?

I’ve read through the thread on pricing trends and I’ve been watching the current market for a few months. It appears as though many cars have been stagnant in the marketplace. Would you expect to be able to offer 20% to 30% below asking price and make a deal? Obviously every dealer is different and consignments and other factors play into the equation.

How far out (in time, not mileage) would you be comfortable in purchasing a car with respect to the last engine out cam belt service, if your intent was to occasionally drive the car and not be concerned about the immediate need to perform the service?

Anything else a first time buyer should be aware of?

Thanks to all in advance. I’ll keep you posted on my progress and ultimate purchase.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Brian... most of these issues are easily found in the search.. discussed many times before, and currently.

Search ppi

One q, I’ll tackle.. it has not been beaten to death already.

Belt service vs purchase timing.

two trains of thought - buy after a service or before.

Before:
    Cost of service is additive
    Current running condition is known
    Buyer has the ability to select details on service

After:
    Service costs included in purchase price
    Current running ‘issues’ may be hidden via a cheap, minimal service
    Buyer has no choice on selecting the details of service (like ‘who’ does the work)

Me... I’d rather buy a car that needs a service. Easier to evaluate. Less opportunity to hide faults.

No right answer... just depends how you rank your personal needs.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oil filters from any reputable Ferrari parts source. Does not need to be a dealer. I get plugs from Rock Auto.

Not a good time to save money. Buy the best car you can, it will be cheaper in the long run. A bad car will bury you. Really good cars don't sell for a discount. The market rewards turn key cars so most in the sales business really want the cars fully serviced. Better to buy one the other way and get your own service done but it can be very difficult to find a great car needing a service.

Be patient and selective.

4. campbell360

campbell360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I just bought an 89 TR a couple of weeks ago. I had specific color in mind (white) along with the 5 lug wheel requirement. Your 20-30% is in the ballpark if the car is at a dealer. I found more realistic pricing from owners. I ended up buying from a dealer (consigned) and ended up in your range.

5. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There is a member here selling a nice car with all the maintenance up to date. I’ll look for his post if your interested. Red over tan car. Will need nothing.

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i think 30% off from asking is gonna be tough a 110 asking for 77k good luck

MOSS and Zeff like this.
  7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    like brian said buy the best, cheapest ferrari will be the most expensive one for ownership.i think all the new tr owners most will not sell for the pricing thats been stated on the forum dont look for the cheapest one that needs everything

8. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    Thank you for the input.
    I’ve seen a few cases where the seller says something along the lines of “service done 500 miles ago” but that was 5+ ago when you review the service records. Ultimately it will come down to car availability, condition and price. But I like the idea of finding the perfect car that needs
    I’m interested. I’ll look for it but feel free to pass it along if you find the link.

9. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    Yeah, I agree with you there.
    I’m thinking there might be a situation where I find a car in the 120 range and pick it up for 95ish.

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I suspect people with good cars are just keeping them. I have a clean 87. 2nd owner, 16,000 or so miles.

Don’t know what it’s really worth. But what’s the point of selling? You get 100k or a bit more maybe? What else am I going to get for that, to park in the garage?

Might as well keep it, and drive it...

SAFE4NOW and blkdiablo33 like this.
  11. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah right now that’s a pathetic amount for that car. Definitely not worth selling.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    bka80s
    unfortunately you not filled out your profile so nobody knows where you are located and it makes no sense to tell you from a good car in tokio when you are staying in texas
    or you like to fly all over the world to find your car?

Rifledriver likes this.
  13. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #13 Zeff, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  14. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    Good point. I’ll fill out the profile. As a side note, I’m willing and able to fly anywhere for the right car.

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    WOW ! ! !
    but then also check the transportation and the taxes and registration

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Don't go to China!!

17. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    Ha! Probably worth clarifying that while my job allows me to fly anywhere, I’d still only be interested in cars in the continental US.

18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    im looking for another exotic car and theres nothing out there for low 100s ford gt 250s diablos 200k plus ,tr are a bargain .

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    That's what I thought until a buyable Ford GT came up in Whitefish Montana....in January. Way too much complication for a Texan.

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I agree that is a crappy bracket to shop in if you want something truly iconic, has a good demand/supply ratio with true collectable value. The lowest priced car that met all those requirements for me was a Scuderia.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  21. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    id love to have another diablo ive been hunting for one ,love ford gt also 05/06 years .a scud is a great car

Shark01 likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Might have one this time next week.....for the price of a Scuderia no less....

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  23. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    And there’s another point for the Tr to be affordable right now. It makes spending for the maintenance that much less painful. If these cars were 200-250k you would feel it in your pocket book both when you bought the car and then when do the maintenance. Even though the maintenance is not that bad if you get a good solid car. But just making another point for them remaining cheap for those that might want one now vs later when they go up.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  24. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #24 Zeff, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Always check the tires, their date codes. If they are older than 6 years you will need new tires. Since most people aren’t driving these cars the tires are usually really old. When you drive the car be aware of the brakes, do they squeak? If so you’ll be doing a brake job to fix. Not a big deal and not real expensive but just be aware of this. I would not solely focus on the last major, find the best car as that should be your main focus. Everything the car needs you will negotiate off of the asking price. But be fair when negotiating if you want the car is my personal advise. Good luck and have fun with the hunt.

bka80s likes this.