Ferrari ROMA | Page 83 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senad

Senad Formula Junior

May 14, 2019
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Sanad Alibrahim
    it is hot for a 5 months , all my cars have to have ventilated seats.
    Bentley gt is nice, but it's to big and heavy for my taste,
    I like 2+2 because they are more nimble.
    Also like the elegance in Roma styling very much, that is my taste.
    And Kuwait is not that big 3 hours max from border to border so no need for a proper GT.
    True the back seats are small but it will be enough for the time being, and will see for the future.
    I have other cars, if I need a space.
    Nice sharing thoughts though, keep it up

SpeedExceed and Astrid.Didier like this.
  2. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    Come on woman, give us a break. The Roma is the way it is because that's what some customers want. They want a softer Ferrari for longer journeys and luxury. People who want something more raw, will buy F8 or other F-cars. Ok? Are we good?

It's very nice and refreshing to see a car like the Roma back in the line up. It's a part of Ferraris history, as they had plenty of cars like Roma to offer back in the 60s. Now please stop with this Aston Martin/Jaguar/Bentley non sense. Cars have always had similar feature becuase of something called competition!!!! It has nothing to do with being a copy cat. Take a look at Astons from the 60s and compare them with Ferraris and other carmakers from that era.

Roma is the most Ferrari-looking Ferrari for a very very long time. Now please, give this thread a chance to become interesting again. These comments are grinding my gears.

Lunch Bag, Radu, RamsHmb and 6 others like this.
  3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    How does everyone know what the Roma is like to drive when nobody has driven it yet?

Senad and gt_lusso like this.
  4. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    Great question!

Senad likes this.
  5. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Regarding the F8, Roma and Lusso conversation. If the original plan was to buy F8, then switch to Roma makes more sense than jumping all the way to Lusso.

Roma is not really an entry model because:
    - The current entry model is Portofino
    - Roma is not anymore like California T. It is much wider (in fact wider than the top end models SF90 and 812) . It has also manettino with Race mode (Portofino still missed this). Not sure though whether this means harder suspension settings as well.
    - According to Ferrari's web page Roma is pretty light when compared to other models. See comparison:
    - F8 Tributo: 1435 kg (-135 kg)
    - Roma: 1570 kg (0 kg)
    - 812 Superfast: 1630 kg (+60 kg)
    - Portofino: 1664 kg (+94 kg)
    - California T: 1730 kg (+160 kg)
    - GTC4Lusso (V12): 1920 kg (+350 kg)

If choosing Lusso instead, you would't be getting same level of performance. See e.g. 0-200 kph times:

F8 Tributo: 7.8 (-1.5)
    812 Superfast: 7.9 (-1.4)
    Roma: 9.3 (0.0)
    GTC4Lusso (V12): 10.5 (+1.2)
    Portofino: 10.8 (+1.5)
    California T: 11.2 (+1.9)

I agree that the rear seats of Roma are really meant only for small kids. However, you will certainly enjoy the extra boot space compared to F8. Roma has 272 liters and 345 liters when rear seats are folded (and possibly still some extra space under the folded seats). F8 has 200 liters, which is surprisingly big for a front boot, but its deep and narrow shape has limitations and therefore the general usability is not in the same level as with Roma. So if you had to choose only one Ferrari, Roma might be a good option.

vcappp, JotaEle and Senad like this.
  6. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Can we please get a grip on what “entry level” means? It is a Ferrari. It costs, in any reasonable configuration, 250k plus ... this is not like an entry level Toyota, folks. It has 600+ HP and will like do 0-60 in the high 2s, low 3s at worst. It is not meant to be a sports car, it is a GT. As such, it does GT things, has GT features and will likely be a spectacular challenger to similar cars in the class.

Reading through all of the posts in this section, I sure haven’t seen too many folks dissatisfied with their Californias or Portofinos though.

Perhaps we should all just wait to see the road tests or perhaps drive one yourselves before concluding what it’s like. Again, like EVERY Ferrari, including the maligned SF90, they will sell every one that they care to make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JotaEle, Senad and Borrow’d Mine like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What do you mean by "stepping all the way up to a Lusso"? Priced similar to an F8.

You can dice and slice it every which way you like, but the Porto is just as much entry level as the Porto. Whether it is entry level or not, is not determined by the width, length, race or 0-200 time etc. That is based on two very tangible things. One is the fact that Ferrari specifically developed the Roma for first time buyers that wa ted a softer and less "scary" Ferrari. The other is the price. As far as I am aware, it is the cheapest now that the Porto has been facelifted.
    So, it's the cheapest and easiest and least Ferrari-like of the bunch. How do you get more entry level than that?

I understand your desire to share the experience with the Fam, but initially you wanted the most sporty of the bunch, and then you step over to the Roma? I would think what would offset the loss of sportyness best, would be the V12 and what the V12 GT line has to offer.
    I don't see going from an F8 to a Lusso as a step down, but rather just a different path. The Roma is to me, a huge step down, as I don't see it on the same level as the rest of the lineup, not even the Porto. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that you and some others may not agree, but I am yet to talk to an owner or prospective buyer of a 4XXF8, V12 GT or Sports line, or Porto who thinks the Roma is of the same breed. Snobbery? Perhaps. But I will be honest and say that, from where I'm sitting, it looks like the Roma might end up getting an even harder reception than the Cali got. My local dealer which is among the largest in Europe, gets lots of interest on everything from the Porto to the 812. So far, little to no interest in the Roma, and its mere mentioning in the lounge, only brings up a snide remark or a forgiving smile.
    Being the new kid on the block in Ferrari-land, is difficult at the best of times, and truly painful at the worst of times.
    The latter is not so much about my own perception on the car, but rather just an observation of how the world around me reacts to the Roma. I have my own opinion on it, but from the outside looking in, so far what I see is a car few owners and enthusiasts care to classify as the same breed and heritage as the rest.

At the end of the day, the car that suits your needs and makes you happy, is what you should get. I suppose that part of my disdain for the switch from F8 to Roma probably lies in the fact, that I have a hard time understanding how that can give the same satisfaction, and hate the idea of an enthusiast getting dissapointed.

Just some thoughts. Not trying to offend, just wrapping my head around things.:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You need to look at it much more nouanced. Entry level does not mean lowest class and cheapest overall. If that's the case, Toyota is way up on the scale.
    It's an entry level Ferrari. Compared to a BMW M, it's pretty far up the exotic ladder. But as far as the Ferrari line up goes, it's the entry level and new kid in class.

9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    206 posts now. To me, that shows a lot of interest in this car.

Senad likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yeah, but far from all of it is positive. Sort through all the posts and count how many has expressed a profound desire to own a Roma.
    The Roma has indeed stirred the waters, but it looks to me like the majority is miffed at the fact that not only has Ferrari made yet another model which many thinks dilutes the marque, it's an additional model for a less "devoted" segment if you will.

11. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RamsHmb likes this.
  12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    #2062 pilotoCS, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    These are forums for opinion. We can't all be buyers for every single model offered.

I love the Roma for it's subtle elegance.

Radu, Jordan68, greg328 and 2 others like this.
  13. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Saw the F8 up close and personal for the first time today and spent some time playing with the Roma dealer configurator. As of now I’m going with the Roma. I’ll probably track it some but it will predominately be a street car.

For those who track their Fcars a lot, and by all the hardcore comments, I assume it’s a lot of you, how do the ceramics hold up? TNA

Senad likes this.
  14. crazedboutcars

crazedboutcars Karting

Dec 14, 2018
    Dubai, U.A.E.
    Full Name:
    Madhav Kanchan
    Technically Roma costs more than the Portofino if we talk about the base price... roughly USD14k more so not the cheapest Ferrari for sure

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Senad likes this.
  15. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    I heard that because the ROMA is a wet sump, you can't track it, am I right?

16. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    #2066 Astrid.Didier, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    To cut it short, it's not only me who compared the ROMA to Aston Martin :D:D, the whole world did!!

So. and as I'v mentioned many times before, though it looks exactly like an Aston I think it looks beautiful, but would I buy it, the answer is NO, why? because it doesn't give me the feeling of owning a new Ferrari, it's as simple as that!!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They are short lived when it comes to the 488, Pista, F8, Speciale and 812.. Discs can last as little as 4000-5000. A set of pads can be done away with in a track weekend. We don't know which discs and pads the Roma comes with yet, but even if it should share discs and pads with the Porto and Lusso, they are still not long for this world.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. Plenty of wet sump cars track well. Just like the Cali T and Porto, you can track the Roma. That being said, the track is not the natural habitat of the Roma, and it was never intended for a lot of track use.

19. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the info. I’m glad there are companies out there like Surface transform building truly track capable replacements.

20. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Agreed, the vast majority of street cars that take part in track events all over the world every weekend have a less competent oil supply system than what the Roma is likely to have.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Where are you located?

22. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The US, Houston, TX currently.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Give Remmen a call once you need new discs. They also make continuous fiber ceramic discs like the ones from the UK you mention. They make them to order. 11900 for a full set of their CCR discs, which is the same type of disc as the CCST type. They also have a slightly cheaper version, the CCS which is essentially a traditional CCM style disc.

I don't know if the Porto/Roma shares disc offset with the 458, but if it does, you can use the discs from the UK you mentioned, or Remmen will have a "recipe" for a set of discs that will work, as they previously made CCST discs for the 458,

SVCalifornia, of2worlds and 008 like this.
  24. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I mean that when person is looking for a light and agile car such as F8, it would be quite a big jump to get a heavyweight Lusso instead, which weights 485 kg more. So if you target a fast car, but want a bit more practicality, then Roma is a good option for every day driving and touring. And as an added bonus, it comes with a lower price tag too.

It remains to be seen whether Roma is softer than Lusso, but due to 350 kg less mass, it is definitely faster in the straightline and most likely also in the corners.

Of course, if you want V12 and to fit people at the back, then Lusso obviously makes a lot more sense.

boxerman and Senad like this.