When to fill gearbox back up? | FerrariChat

When to fill gearbox back up?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Feb 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Tifosi,

I just replaced the shift shaft seal on my 88, not a bad job and gave me a chance to replace the silentbloc bushings too. It is ready to refill with oil but I have a question:

Clutch started to slip at the end of the season (my fault as I was dealing with intermittend 6 cylinder cutout and just the light feel of a TR clutch). I am going to replace the clutch while it is still winter (and I have the parts). My question is WHEN should I refill the gearbox?

I haven't looked too deeply into what has to come off to do the clutch but doesn't look like a bad job at all. Do you lose gearbox oil when you take that cover off? I see there are some O-rings which I bought.

Experienced stories appreciated. I'm just happy to know my shifter is adjusted perfectly now. Having it all apart makes the adjustment foolproof!

Thanks,
    Cassidy

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The 2 holes to the bell housing are above the oil level. You will only lose a little from inside the drop gear case. It is actually easier to fill with the bell housing off.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Is your gearbox empty right now?

4. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I pulled the front drain plug to do the job so I'd guess it's 90% empty. I'll do the other just to start with fresh fluid throughout.

What I'm thinking is Mobil 1 75w90 or similar and two bottles of GM's Limited Slip Additive. Does that sound reasonable or is there a better alternative?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Good to know. Thank you. Excellent info. I've had the brakes, cooling system, shifter, dash, seats and soon to be clutch out this winter. It's been a busy season of work but she will be right as rain come the spring. Deferred maintenance and some ravages of time, all corrected with time and effort.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Some on here recommend Red Line, others Royal Purple! Someone will chime in! Maybe Rifledriver?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No positraction additive. It is contrary to the needs of the syncros. About 99% of the GL5 has it anyway and you sure do not want more.