Intake butterfly valve linkage | FerrariChat

Intake butterfly valve linkage

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AVIMAX, Feb 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    At the back of the intake manifold is the linkage that operates the butterfly valves. The left bank and right bank are connected by a rod with black plastic rod ends. Both plastic rod ends on mine are split. I’m assuming they are not supposed to be split. Any idea where I can get new ones? These don’t show up in the parts diagrams for the 550, 575 or 612. I asked the parts depot at my local dealer, they think they may only be available with the complete intake since they are not listed separately.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    Things like this are the reason I have a 3D printer. For very little cost you could make several variations to get a good press fit (assuming the plastic pieces press over a ball end). I would not print the threads (assuming they screw on the rods), but rather print the hole with a tap drill size and then make the threads with a tap. Another tip: Home makers like to use PLA because it's easy to print but it is kind of biodegradable over time. I use ABS. And designers always try to use the minimum amount of plastic to save a penny in high volume applications. But you don't have that constraint, so you can make it stronger than stock.

If you don't have a printer, but can work up a design (try free versions of Sketchup or Fusion 360), there are lots of services that will print it for you.

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Google "throttle linkage ball ends"
    There are lots of better ends, the best are the type used on the 550 throttle cable ends

4. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Well search and you will find! I did a search and came up with some possible options, but then I got an email from the parts guy at my local Ferrari dealer that was also looking for me and he happened across this while looking for something else. I contacted them and all dimensions seem the same except the threaded hole for the linkage rod, it's smaller, but lots of material to drill and tap the correct size. Just might be my lucky day.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Id go with what Ferraridriver said, if you can get metal pieces it would be far superior to another crap plastic one. Also under hood temps especially at the back of the engine get pretty high

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those plastic rod ends are famous for splitting. On the Alfas we were constantly replacing them. The metal rod ends are available from countless suppliers. I am pretty shocked your local dealer had no suggestions. Says a lot to me about their knowledge and ability.

Laserguru likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just curious, do you work for the government?

8. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Initially the parts guy sent me some links for suppliers of metal rod ends and suggested there may be something compatible, then later in the day he sent me the link to the Alfa part that he came across when looking for something else. I was actually quite happy that instead of just telling me he had no idea, he took down my info and looked into it for me and did send a few options before the end of the day. Pricing at the dealer is crazy, but the parts desk has always been helpful even if I buy my parts elsewhere.

9. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ok, you guys have convinced me to go with metal rod ends.

10. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ended up using the same rod ends with locking clips as found on the throttle cable, as Dave suggested. Perfect fit. No room for jam nuts, so added some locktite to the threads and set the length.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and Laserguru like this.
  11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave