Illinois dealers can't provide service records? | FerrariChat

Illinois dealers can't provide service records?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by jjmalez, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Looked at a 2013 Maserati Gran Turismo at a dealership in the Chicago suburb. Service Manager said that the Maserati came complete with a full maintenance history, but due to Illinois law, they can not keep and/or provide service records due to the previous owner(s) information.

Seriously? So the guy who bought a new Ferrari F40 at Lake Forest Sportscars has his complete maintenance records thrown in the shredder because of his address & phone number are on them?

Pfft!

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I looked at the Illinois Dealers handbook and I have to say, he might have been telling you the truth. I am by no means an expert, and hope someone with experience will answer. By my reading, they have to keep a record of the repairs they performed but not work done by others.

3. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I bought a pre-owned Aston Martin from Lake Forest Sports Cars a couple years ago and while we were dealing they showed me the service records with the current owner's name on them and then when I bought the car they gave me copies of the service records with the owner's information whited out.

I bought my Ferrari from Fox Valley Motorcars (now defunct) and they gave me all the service records they had for the car and those were unredacted and showed the previous owners names and addresses.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Liars! Previous owner's info could be redacted.
    Seller has no, incomplete or unflattering service records. If the records were good it would be a sales tool.

amenasce likes this.
  5. bennyb

bennyb Rookie

Sep 8, 2015
    so the maserati was at LFSC?

6. redhammer

redhammer Karting

May 9, 2011
    I just went thru something similar with a different dealer in CA. Because of the privacy law copies of receipts can be issued to a new owner ONLY with approval of the vehicle owner at the time of service, they are requested in person with valid ID.

7. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Ziegler Maserati

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA