458 Italia or F12... value proposition? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Italia or F12... value proposition?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dann0, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Option 2. I also have a Giulia.

14RE458 and daytona355 like this.
  2. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Two cars are always better than one especially if you are in a V8 Gulia. Get the 458 now and keep Gulia. In a couple years will will be able to afford the further depreciated F12. Then you can have both

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So I absolutely love the 458 and think it's one of the best Ferraris they have built.

But they built over 20k 458s.

Values will not stay up forever and I do think people will end up preferring the 488. The car is so so so so much faster and smoother. So at a lower price it will have an affect on 458 prices.

Also... I'm shaking my head... Ferraris are not engines at the back. Lol. The horses pull the cart as some guy said famously. Lol. (I mean all of this tonuge in cheek

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'm afraid the most powerful NA v12 would disagree. The 812 super fast.

Ferraris v12s are still NA. So the 458 will not go down as the last naturally aspirated Ferrari.

Caphill, Boomhauer and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Is your Giulia a QF? Does your DD involve normal roads and/or urban zones, or a racetrack, long canyon roads where the police have been sedated, and an autobahn? If the former, your DD will be more fun in a Giulia QF than an F12, although it will lack the theatre and “I have a Ferrari” feeling. F12 will feel frustrated, like walking a racehorse. If you can stretch an F12’s legs, there’s very little like it and the Giulia will feel small.

458 manages to be almost everything.

The F12 started higher, so it may have further to fall, still.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  6. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Yep it's a QV and Holy hell has it depreciated! Think I'll keep it for the missus!

Sent from my SM-N960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    umm....do you think it is what Enzo Ferrari would agree? what about his personal car 330GT?

technom3 and kes7u like this.
  8. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Who the hell is this 'Enzo' guy, and what in the hell would he know??:eek:

Kevin

9. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I’m an old guy so Ferrari’s are V12s.
    I bought a 612 OTO without doing much research. I subsequently learned what a wonderful car it is. A mid/ front engine car of amazing style and grace.Very fast without a bunch of noise and drama. Having that big engine behind the front axle makes a long but balanced car.
    It is so special that I bought a front engine 575 to drive daily. It’s nice but the 612 is nicer.
    If I had it to do again, I would buy my OTO for special use and a pre OTO (with HGT) for a daily driver.
    In today’s market you buy both for ~ $200 K US.

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Cobblers. 458 built in huge numbers, so it will be a very long time before it does anything other than depreciate.

"The horse doesn’t push the cart, it pulls it" - Enzo Ferrari

Agreed. The only mid-engine production Ferrari built in large numbers (i.e. excluding the 288, F40, F50, etc. "hypercar" series) to show major appreciation is the Dino (246, not 308).

Themaven likes this.
  11. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    F12: want a V12, miles will be "GT-style," like the less flashy appearance, more comfortable. 458: miles will be more track / twisty road fun, flashier (yet still elegant) appearance, less comfortable. I think the F12 seems to be depreciating more, as well, and 458 values seem to be holding well.

I plan to keep my 458 Spider and then go through a process to find the right GT car, of which the F12 is a candidate! Good luck!

x z8 likes this.
  12. Kevin Pauza

Kevin Pauza Karting

Jul 10, 2015
    Naples and Texas
    Full Name:
    Kevin Pauza MD
    Im exactly like you and test-drove all for comparison.
    I purchased a 458 Spyder ,F-12, and 458 Coupe.

It was an easy decision after driving all for 2 months.
    I kept my 458 Spyder because it is two fabulous cars in one. I sold 458 Coupe and F-12.and gave all the proceeds to Veteran and Animal charities I support.
    Although I have other cars for enjoyment,
    The 458 Spyder is near perfection.
    I agree with the above comment that it will one day have cult following... even with its production number.
    PS: The 599 is an incredible performance value, in my opinion.
    I wish you well.
    Most on this post are financially fortunate, so consider also supporting causes you support. That would be an interesting post thread itself.
    Thanks
    Kevin Pauza

LightGuy, 14RE458 and Graz like this.
  13. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Absolutely.

14. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    My experience: I bought a beautiful Nero 360 manual as my first car. I loved it! I felt like I was putting on a glove and when warmed up would do as I commanded. It was quite the looker. In fact, I think the 360 will be in the same Parthenon as the 250 GT Lusso in the long haul. Lusting to have the modern equivalent of the 365 Daytona that I fell in love with as a kid, I bought a TDF Blu 599 GTB. The car has amazing horsepower finesse and can kill you if you are not paying attention. Oddly, when both cars were at a show or being driven to one, the 360 always caught people's eye.
    In my opinion, they are day and night in the way they handled and response. As other have suggested, drive both to see what fits with your first Ferrari perception.

Caphill likes this.
  15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    While this was said, Enzo wanted to win and the race cars went rear mid-engine.

And road cars funded racing. A question of do as I say, or do as I do?

I strongly considered a gated 550 Maranello as my first but decided to do what racer boys do!

16. forshage

forshage Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2014
    Altadena, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl Forshage
    My first advice is BUY WHAT YOU LOVE!

But if you want more analysis (and we all analyze until we buy what we love and then make excuses for it)
    Buy a 430 and a 599, that could be done for about the same price as the F12, they will both have miles on them for that price, so don’t save them - drive the heck out of them.
    And in the end, I don’t know how much lower those cars will go, so you are not going to lose much. And your going to have a heck of a lot of fun. And as far as impression are concerned- most people are going to be “wow he’s got two Ferraris”

17. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I'm going to second the multi-car idea. Two cars you also split mileage so less to worry about there.

In the garage is an F430 F1 and an Aston Martin DBS manual, both of which can be had around price of F12.

The F430 when properly taken care of is a thing of beauty, an analog reality check against the numb video games with wheels coming out today. It's loud, it's noisy and feels like a racecar but that involving and connecting experience is totally intoxicating. After driving one on the track I ended up buying one two months later.

As for the DBS: Manual, V12 and RWD wrapped in one of the most beautiful, timeless and elegant packages. Nuff said

LightGuy and 9650max like this.
  18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  19. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Just did this. Have a red 458 spider. My black F12 arrived yesterday. Never had two FERRARI’s at one time before. Very excited.

Thecadster and Bluebottle like this.
  20. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Dude that's my dream garage. Or more so... F12 daily and speciale for occasional.

Sent from my SM-N960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

x z8 likes this.
  21. RossoFuoco

RossoFuoco Rookie

Feb 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Esberger
    458 says Ferrari in any colour you choose. It’s the classic profile mid engined supercar. The F12 is a true GT car and in profile, especially in a subtle colour as many are, looks similar to many GT cars like an Aston or Jag F Type. This is no bad thing but it does not shout Ferrari to most people. I had the same dilemma when jumping from my 430. I use mine mainly for Sunday morning or midweek blasts around country lanes so I stayed V8 and ended up with a 488 which I love, but the decision is yours and go with your gut.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Someone needs to notify those revolutionaries designing and building the last few generations of Ferrari's Supercars. Enzo might have been experiancing a senile moment when he commisioned the 288GTO and F40 ! ;)

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well... He did think anyone who bought a Fiat era or road going car was an idiot. Lol.

24. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Have you driven an F12? Front not heavy to me. Big front- yes. Oddly nimble in a good way.