PPF on Headlights | FerrariChat

PPF on Headlights

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ridege55, Feb 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Been thinking of getting PPF for the 458 soon. Any insights on getting the headlights PPF? I have been talking to a few Porsche friends, and they said don't do the headlights. Mentioned that it could de-laminate the headlight. Any truth or concern to this, especially for a 458?

2. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Not to worry, the new stuff is even better and self healing. I've been using this stuff for many many years and never an issue. If you don't protect them, you're just asking for trouble.

JanStuart and ridege55 like this.
  3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Jason. I heard that the headlights could yellow (or delaminate) with PPF over time, or when pulling off the PPF would delaminate the headlight. Not sure any of this is true for the 458, but was just confirming.

4. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Mine is currently getting Stek on the front clip (not suntek). I should get it back this week and I am getting my head lights done. I don't have any long term history but think it is a good thing to do.

Gh21631 and ridege55 like this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Did it on mine Xpel

ridege55 likes this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Did mine with Suntek - no problem.

NbyNW and ridege55 like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    better off just using ceramic on glass and plastic, in my experience

8. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Won't do much protecting from rocks and other debris.

I believe with Porsche headlamps you have to be careful and can't be protected with film. Never had issues with Xpel on my 488.

Caeruleus11, Gh21631 and ridege55 like this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Definitively do wrap the headlights …

And now, after 3 years you can see some nasty impacts that may have cracked them ...

Do you have any idea how much it costs to replace one ?

Over $6000 …(included taking out and installing)

So what is $ 50 for one wrap ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The STEK doesn't have as much adhesive and should be safer on the headlights as well as paint.

11. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Did Xpel on several sets of headlights. Never a problem.

12. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I hope it was a good decision. The installer switches from Xpel to this a few years ago and likes it a lot better.

I also am a believer that marketing sales and sometimes there are good or better products with less of a marketing budget.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm told that it is an important nogo.
    There's a chemical in the headlight glass that can react with the glue in the film and dull the glass. I saw two examples of this at a PPF shop in November, where they were redoing an Aventador SV and a 458 Speciale two other shops had previously done. One had been done with XPel and the other with Suntek. Both cars needed headlamps replaced due to this. Asked Adam at Topaz in London, and he concurred. No PPF on headlights!

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok likes this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    My headlights were done 4 years ago ... still perfect !
    Sent from my SM-G965F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

docf likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Absolutely wrap the lights. I don't know what the Porsche people are talking about, theres nothing to de-laminate with headlights. They won't yellow. The thing to worry about is pulling the paint off when they take the wrap off your painted surfaces. A good installer will try to minimize this by using as little adhesive as possible. The bad ones don't know better and use a ton of adhesive and when they go to take the wrap off, the paint will come with it.

PS I've been getting headlights on cars wrapped for 14+ years with no issues.

16. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Seems like everyone who loves PPF on headlights has never removed them before... I have full PPF on my car and this thread kinda scares me... Has anyone redone PPF on headlights and had them not become ruined?

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I wldnt worry about it. They can get ppf off paint they can def get it off the headlights

Melvok likes this.
  18. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The AFS headlights on my 458 have PPF on them (going on 4+ years) with no problems whatsoever. Both are still crystal clear... Either way is a risk though, no PPF and you get smacked by a rock on one of them and it may need to be replaced.

Put the PPF on and it might also cause a problem. I should note (if it matters) that my 458 was previously garaged and I also garage it in a fully controlled a/c or heated environment, so UV exposure is minimized... Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok likes this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The thing with PPF on headlights is the issue with removal. They will come off no problem but they will remove the top layer of coating on the light. As it was explained to me by two independent PPF installers, the lights have a final coating over the plastic that acts as the last focus control over the light pattern. This always comes off when replacing the PPF. It will cause a noticeable diffraction of the light pattern to those that do it for a living. The average driver may not notice it. I believed their story as couldn't see why they would make it up. IMO still better to use the PPF as it does have a documented advantage in protection especially with these very large and expensive light buckets.

20. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I realize that this question is a bit off topic, but the biggest, most vulnerable and probably most expensive piece is the huge windshield. Can anyone point me to thread(s) that cover windshield protection?

21. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    We do the headlights

22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I have had PPF on all my cars purchased after 2010 with zero problems. I highly recommend as in Indiana I seem to be hit with small stones or pebbles on our patches roads.

23. Bobbodaclown

Bobbodaclown Rookie

Jan 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Green
    I have had PPF on a daily for twelve years and that car sits outside all the time. The PPF is still fine. From that, my theory is that the only reason I will need to replace the PPF on the headlights is if it gets badly damaged from an impact. If that is the case, then it is very likely that without that PPF the headlight would have been toast anyways.

24. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    PPF the headlamps. Just bought a 2013 458. The existing PPF was 5 years old and had some hits on it. Pulled the film and the lights underneath were PERFECT. Replaced the film and I am good to go. It is $12,000 to replace and $200 to wrap. Do the math. The 911 GTS in the picture also has film on the lamps.

Attached Files:

25. Bobbodaclown

Bobbodaclown Rookie

Jan 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Green
    Congrats. Lovely car. To take your comment to the next logical step, if the PPF hadn't been on the headlamps in the first place, they would have been toast anyways.