AWD mode and exhaust diameter | FerrariChat

AWD mode and exhaust diameter

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by HBstig, Jan 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    Couple questions as a still new owner.
    1. Is awd only activated in the snow/rain mode? Is there a way to launch in sport mode in awd?
    2. Do you guys know the diameter of our exhaust piping? I am trying to make a custom x-pipe.
    TIA

2. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    1. AWD is ONLY active in gear 1-2-3-4 and Reverse. It has nothing to do with which mode the Manettino switch is in.

3. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    Weird, when I take off pretty hard the rear end gets very loose. With awd that should not be the case.

4. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    It is not that simple.... I would need to know more, however I do have extended experince with BMW, Audi and MB and the respective solution of AWD. AWD is not 4WD to start with, and the first couple of question will be which tires, which tire pressure and what kind of road and weather are we talking about? That said, or written, the Ferrari PTU will not pull like for example Audi Quattro will. It is more of a complement that a full time front wheel drive. Remember it is a separate gearbox in front of the engine I think somewhere it says max 20% of the torque will go to the front.

HBstig likes this.
  5. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    Good info. Thanks
    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're looking at it all wrong. The 4RM system is not really a 4wd or AWD system. As Bamsefar said, it's a seperate drive system connected to the front wheels via a gearbox and a variable slipper clutch system on the front of the engine. It is there mainly to help traction in wet and slippery conditions, and aide a bit if possible when you push it. But unlike a true AWD system where there's a variable center diff and a transfer case that can create a true 50/50 power split by locking the diff, this system is not capable of that. At most, it can provide you with 80 lbs ft. and it is not directly connecting the front and rear. Many make the mistake of thinking of the FF and Lussos as 4wd cars, they are not, they very much drive and act like rwd, because that's what they mostly are. When you set the Mannetino to Sport or turn off traction control and put your foot in it in a Lusso, you are sending about 600 hp rear and maybe 100 forward, without those two drive systems being locked together. Like an F12 for example, it will easily lay down some nice long 11'ses. Yes, the fronts do pull and help a bit, but nothing that will ever save those rears from turning into barbecue sauce.

SVR, 350MH83 and Bamsefar like this.
  7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    A few months ago, someone mentioned being fairly sure about the front not engaged when the mannetino is set to TC-off, but I couldn't get a follow up answer to that. Have been pondering about that since then.

8. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Hmmmm.... Not sure...