Highish mileage F12 | FerrariChat

Highish mileage F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by dann0, Feb 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    I'm looking at an F12 nicely specced and in great condition with 24,000kms (15,000 miles). Is that too many if i intend to put another 20,000kms on it in 3 years? Its a '14 model. Not really sure of the do's and dont's when thinking of resale etc...

Sent from my SM-N960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Shamsta

Shamsta Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    If you're planing on putting that many miles on the car in the next 3 years, why pay a premium for a low mileage vehicle? This sounds ideal for you.

Gh21631, ZF123 and ewright like this.
  3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Where do you live? A 44,000km 9 year old F12 won’t be considered high miles in Europe but it would be in America or the U.K.

4. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    In Oz. It's 6 years old i believe. There's another one I'm looking at... not as good spec but only 11k kms and $au30k more... better value? I know it's all subjective sorry but first time for me

5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    It sure is. But it’ll be 9 years old by the time you’re done with it and added your 20,000km.

I don’t know how mileage sensitive the Oz market is but my best advice is to buy the car you want. 3 years is plenty of time to live with a car and regret not getting the one you wanted because of mileage or value concerns.

We get plenty of first time posters on here worried about mileage or specification or resale. And what they all fail to understand is that a Ferrari is an emotional purchase, not a financial one.

Buy the one you love and to hell with the consequences.

Radu, Solid State, 14RE458 and 2 others like this.
  6. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Love it. Great advice... I'm way overthinking it. Can't help the financial side of things though...

7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Ok, I'm happy to help on the financials too....

Of the two cars, get the 24,000km one.

1) it's better specced
    2) it's A$30k cheaper
    3) in 3 years and 20,000km time, the difference in price between a badly specced 9yo 31,000km car and a nicely specced 9yo 44,000km car will not be A$30k.
    4) the 24,000km car has actually moved and should have had any bugs ironed out. The 11,000km car has averaged 1,800km per year. It's out of warranty and the general experience of forum members is that a garage queens can be more expensive on maintenance. These cars benefit from being regularly driven.

Anthony James and Shamsta like this.
  8. Herane

Herane Rookie

Jun 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I could not agree more with this as well as ANOpax's comment.

I purchased a 2014 F12 with over 24k miles (38k km) last August. At the time, it was a great deal and an amazing spec. Of course, since then I occasionally see "better" deals pop up of F12s with significantly fewer miles and a fair price.

However, I think you have to understand, there will always be a better deal out there. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but I am sure someone is going to offload an F12 at an unbelievable price in the future.

In my case, the difference is that I have put on 4k miles on my F12 in the last 6 months and enjoyed every second of it. My two cents would be to buy the car you love and enjoy the hell out of it. Go for the higher mileage vehicle if you plan to drive it a lot. Personally, I think F12s are reaching the bottom of the depreciation curve so I would not stress too much about an extra 20k km.

Also, I do find that the cars that have been driven tend to have fewer problems. I have only had to perform the annual maintenance, which was free.

sampelligrino likes this.
  9. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    just get what pulls at your heart strings and then drive it whenever you want for years of smiles... don't worry about the depreciation.. you cant replace the Great memories

day355 and sampelligrino like this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    go for it. you'll be more inclined to drive it

11. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    An F12 is an exceptional daily driver and GT; mileage is of little concern if you plan on using the car.

12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Either way you're talking about a 9 year-old car with miles. If you were buying a 6 month old 812 and selling it in 3 years, then mileage would be more of an issue. Get the spec you like and use a portion of the $30K saved to get a 1 year warranty for peace of mind.

13. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010