Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 41 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I think its important to not lose sight of the advantages that Tesla has in the EV space. Any other manufacturer has the ability to find a battery and motor supplier and slap them into a car, sure. However they have so far been unable to match (or come anywhere close) to Tesla's efficiency. The Porsche Taycan has a fairly similar size battery, but only manages to get an EPA range of 201 miles, while the Model S gets 373 miles. Tesla's cost per kWh is also substantially lower than other manufacturer's.

Tesla also Supercharging network is another huge advantage, allowing them to provide a consistently high user experience as well as having almost complete coverage (in the US at least). Finally they also have a significant advantage in automated driving. While there are certainly alot of issues with their system, and particularly how they are charging for capability that doesn't exist, it is still leaps and bounds better than any other competing system.

Tesla also doesn't rely on a dealer network, which has always been a huge hurdle for traditional automakers as their dealers have no interest in selling EVs and even will actively discourage customers trying to buy one. While Tesla's service is pretty ****ty right now, because they control the whole network they have the capability to turn that around very quickly.

Tesla's energy division is a whole other business that also has the potential to become a huge source of revenue. As more and more renewable energy hits the grid, the demand for utility scale batteries will increase. Tesla hasn't put much emphasis on this so far as they are constrained right now on the number of battery cells they can produce and are choosing to focus on the Model 3 and Y. (also the reason the Semi isn't being pushed more)

All that being said, I think the $900+ share price is crazy.

2. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Tesla’s are nice cars but they are a utility. You get a Ferrari for the driving experience. I can see myself definitely adding a Tesla to the stable, but maybe to replace a DD.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we had a Model S, the Tesla gave us a more exciting driving experience (in a different way) than the brand new Ferrari we had at the same time that cost 3x as much.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    TSLA is treated like a penny stock. It's always been a roller coaster which speculators love as movement regardless of direction makes you money. A stable stock is to be avoided with that investment strategy.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Dare I say at times 'too exciting' to the point of nasuea!

DGPF likes this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    certainly didn't help my bulging C5/C6.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That helps explain the Irrational and inflated price of the stock.:rolleyes:

9. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    You have some really good points!

Tesla released its patents on its motors but I'd think most other manufacturers will be able to make a more efficient motor. They have not yet because electric cars aren't profitable, we are now on the cusp of them being profitable so expect better motors. Elon said the hardest part of building the motor was the cooling for it.

Panasonic makes the batteries and sells the exact same batteries to other car manufacturers and new technologies have been created, it's just a matter now of being able to scale manufacturing for them.

The charging stations are a good point but as soon as more EVs hit the streets I'd expect gas stations to turn into open-sourced power stations where each gas station owner will buy charging equipment and charge you to fill er up based on the cost of electricity plus their profit, now it's still not really profitable for them but I can see in the next 5 years it will be.

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #1010 Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Tesla @ $717 is now 4X ($160B v $40B) the market cap of Ferrari..something doesn't really add up.

DGPF and LARRYH like this.
  11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why would they be comparable? Ferrari has no mega-cap potential, TSLA does. Not saying TSLA is worth $160B right now, but in theory it has the potential to be. Ferrari has no chance whatsoever of having such a high valuation simply because they are a very small manufacturer with a very limited market.

JERRYZ and Jaguar36 like this.
  12. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Sorry for the absence everyone but because I don't drive a Ferrari anymore I don't visit this site very often. I'm chiming in on a day with a big sell off in the price of TSLA. My timing is on purpose as I don't want to contribute to this discussion on a high note. Let me update everyone as to my current thoughts and add some perspective to my TSLA investment history.

I fell in love with Tesla at a store in the mall in 2012. In August of that year I put a deposit on a Model S. It was to replace my CLS 63 and sit along side my F430 Spyder in the garage. I grew more obsessed with Tesla by the day and by November I began selling other stocks to buy TSLA. By April of 2013 I had 3,000 shares of TSLA at an average basis of $33. I posted a thread on Tesla's chat site explaining why I thought TSLA would be a $1,000 stock by the end of the decade. Well.... I was close. Between 2013 and 2019 I invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in TSLA options and lost a lot of money along the way as I was too early in forecasting TSLA's appreciation. I kept my stock all the way through however. I just tried to turbo gamble with the options and took a big hit as the stock just traded within a range while the shorts suppressed it. In Late 2018 I left my job at Wells Fargo and went independent. I put my entire 401k into TSLA at $319. There was a period in 2019 when that tranche was cut in half but of course I just held on. So here we are today where I have nice gains and plenty of losses along the way. But my outlook has not changed. Tesla is about to disrupt the entire auto industry.

By the end of the decade we could be seeing "Tesla Inside" logos on every car produced.

1) Tesla's battery tech is already 40% better than any other EV in existence. The "competition" just doesn't exist and isn't coming from the big boys. Look at the range of the current Audi/Porsche/GM/BMW/Fiat/Jaguar offerings. They are more expensive with far less range and efficiency. AND Battery Day is coming in April. Tesla is hosting an investor press conference where they are unveiling their new battery technology that will enable super fast charging and better range and cost efficiencies. For those that research this stuff it is expected that Tesla will increase it's battery capabilities by another 30% - 40%.

2) Autonomous driving is the #1 growth driver in the auto industry in the 2020's. Tesla is about to unleash the world's first version of this any month now. Think about where new tech comes from. Does it come from Germany? Detroit? Japan????? No. It comes from Silicon Valley where Tesla is headquartered. All the world's best engineers go there to be a part of world change.

3) Uber and Lyft are about to be an afterthought. When young people can buy a Tesla and let it go to work for them while they are in school or at work the car will almost pay for itself. Once Full Self Driving is approved by regulators in 1 - 3 years Tesla owners will put their car up on Tesla's ride sharing service and people will hire a ride in a driverless Tesla for half the price they currently pay Uber because there is no driver to pay for. Cars are currently the most overpriced asset in existence. They sit idle 95% of the day currently. That is about to change.

As for the driver experience of a Ferrari v Tesla, I don't miss my loud, slow-to-warm-up, slow-to-torque-up old beast of a F430 at all. Yes it was beautiful. Yes it was sexy. But so was Raquel Welch. "Was" is the operative word. I've moved on to a younger, newer model. And that model is EV. You can hang on to your chrome wheels and your loud exhaust till the day you die, but bring your Blackberry to your grave. I'll be using my iPhone.

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd argue that Tesla might have the same fate as blackberry - what they have achieved so far is impressive buzz, but no much actual substance.
    Outrageously subsidised production has not even allowed them to actually make money outside of the overpriced share, and their "self driving" capabilities have shortcomings that no established manufacturer would dare making publicly available. These points are not personal opinions, they are easily verified.

blownfuse likes this.
  14. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    LVP488 your attempted reverse of my analogy makes zero sense. If Tesla were the Blackberry then what is the new smartphone? To further my analogy, when Apple released the iPhone in 2007 they didn't enter the cell phone industry. They created a new industry that we now know as the smart phone business. That's what Tesla is doing. They are creating a new industry we will call the smart car.

DGPF likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U gained my respect with your ballzy investments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DGPF, blvckintl and JERRYZ like this.
  16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Tesla doesn't have their own battery tech. They use Panasonic.

Smart phones existed before the iPhone btw. Palm (Handspring) Treo 180, which a friend of mine had way back in the day. Rest of us in high school had the Nokia brick phones. :)

Tesla, like Apple, does a great job at marketing as if they invent stuff when they don't and they market the exclusive/luxury side when it's really not exclusive. And they make a simple/clean design product that is not divisive visually and so easy to use even a child can use it. Hence the popularity among many people.

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    You have all your 401k in one stock?

Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

18. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You couldn't be more wrong. Tesla pays Panasonic to manufacture the battery cell that has been custom designed by Tesla. Tesla then takes that cell and Tesla then puts it in a battery pack that is solely designed by Tesla. The thermal management and electrical management of the battery pack is all manufactured by Tesla. And then the software that manages the pack is written by Tesla. Other battery makers sell a generic lithium ion battery originally intended for laptops. Tesla has customized their battery specifically for EV's.

The phones you list above are blips in history. The iPhone spelled the end for regular cell phones and thus exploded the segment. The analogy still holds as Tesla didn't invent the EV. But EV's are taking over the world thanks to Tesla. It has nothing to do with a clean design. Silicon Valley tech is changing the world.

DGPF and BOKE like this.
  19. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Yes. And I am a financial advisor. I am 100% violating the diversification rule for myself. All of my clients have owned the stock for years but in very small allocations to their overall portfolio. They like me. :)

DGPF likes this.
  20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ok, so you will hold forever ? No exit point?

21. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    LOL, if you liked Tesla's stock plummeting in less than a month from $962 to today's $100 price drop to $679, then you'll be ecstatic when/if it hits your original buy point of $33

Somewhere, Monty Python's John Cleese is saying "It's only a flesh wound!"

ryalex likes this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Is Tesla heading the same way as the Norwegian Blue?;)

23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    My exit point will be when market cap growth slows down to the point of being a value stock and no longer a growth stock. The best examples I can use are Amazon and Apple. If you were an early investor of those two stocks they still haven’t fully matured and you still probably haven’t sold out yet. That being said, I will be selling a small fraction of my holdings annually to pay for my dream house along the way.

DGPF and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  24. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    The big problem (one of them, at least) for Tesla is that other auto manufacturers are catching up to them rather quickly. Tesla’s relatively small base of devotees (some, like Steve Eisman, refer to it as a ‘cult’) will remain, but outsiders will feel free to pick another EV, as Bill Gates did recently when he bought a Porsche Taycan.

25. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You obviously didn't read my post. There is no competition coming and Tesla is pulling further ahead of the existing automakers. Bill Gates' decision to buy a Taycan shows how behind the times he is. The Taycan is 50% slower than a Model S. It can only go 200 miles on a full charge vs. 375 miles for the Model S and it can't do long distance travel like the Model S. Are you kidding me??????

DGPF likes this.