Do any of you get buyers remorse after buying a exotic car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do any of you get buyers remorse after buying a exotic car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JustAnotherCarPerson, Feb 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    Yeah I’m not buying it to hopefully make money off it and will probably only buy when when I have good financial support and know I can pay for it and sleep good at night.
    But I’m sort of worried it’s not gonna live up to my expectations.

paulchua likes this.
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I'm married 37 years and we have owned the wonderful F12 for over 6 (six) years now. I do have remorse but not about the car. :oops: :)

3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Definitely this. In fact I posted something to this effect a little earlier today.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
    Waters, Gilmour, Wright & Mason.

This relates to me as a teenager. Before you know it, you're 40 and thinking "I should do/have done this or that" some call it mid-life crisis.

Yes, the more the better :p

paulchua likes this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had to have my girlfriend explain what everyone means on this topic. My answer, my only remorse was marriage remorse, cars, watches, clothes, dogs, nope. I see, I want, I buy, in a constant and continuing cycle.

paulchua likes this.
  5. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    I can empathise with your feelings even though you are some way off actually getting one. I have ordered a Portofino after much agonising about whether one should spend so much on a car and whether it does not look like showing off/not giving a damn about society. Obviously I can afford it and at the end of the day decided I live for myself. Yes a lot of people will be jealous and may even damage it out of jealously but I do my bit for society, pay for a lot for people worse off than me and hey, I worked hard and smart, saved enough, invested wisely so why should I pretend to be one of the proletariat.
    Study hard, work smart, stay honest and buy your dream one day. A lot of people will criticise you not just for the car you have but your success, simply out of jealously. Be sensitive to their needs but live for yourself. Good luck

Shark01, EnzoItaly, Julia and 5 others like this.
  6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I saw my first Ferrari in 1969 at your age. I didn't get my first one until 53 yrs old. I have absolutely no remorse. I have made some incredible friends through Ferrarichat.com.
    Now I have two, FF for daily and F430 spider 6 speed for weekends

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thecadster and paulchua like this.
  7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I too applaud you for getting interested in cars at age 14!

I get remorse all the time:
    1. Did I think enough and choose carefully enough, or did I choose too quickly and could have something else that I would have liked better?
    2. What if there is a recession?

But then like the others said: life is too short, just go for it!

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Okay guys, help this young person out... Wave the crystal ball, and give him an idea of what professions will help him reach his goal.

sjd

paulchua and Thecadster like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've seen it happen, but as with your first question, what is the why behind the what?

What expectations do you have?

Are you planning to track these to engage in competitions?

If absolute best lap times are what you are looking for, I agree there would be alternatives out there.

Do you expect the car will magically transform your life? Nope, only you yourself can do that.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is a great one! Agreed, some remorse was not getting the exact spec you want. Good addition. Though theoretically, I think that's not so much the cars fault itself.

Agreed 100% though, when the time comes, get the exact trim you like!!!

11. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    I don’t care about lap times. But when I think of my self driving a 812superfast I sort picture my self driving on windy roads in the mountains and that I can just go around a sharp bend going fast and nothing going wrong almost as if the car had perfect handling lol.
    But nothing is perfect so I shouldn’t expect perfect handling.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #37 paulchua, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    well, everything is subjective.
    Most folks would say a Prius handles bad but many 70 year old grandmother would see nothing wrong.
    Some folks would say an Accord's handling is not sporty enough, but a Soccer mom/dad would say it's just fine.
    Many enthusiast that say BMW has lost their handling feel, but most yuppies I know think it's great.
    Automotive journalists would say the new Vette handles amazingly, some publications say it's not good enough (like Car & Driver)
    All folks say the Pista handles amazingly, but that 70 year old grandmother would say it's too stiff.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but to question if the 812's handling characteristics are "good enough for you" at this point in time is very much like asking if the mansion your eyeing in Atherton gets 'too drafty?' or if the helipad is too small?

One step at a time my man.

Of course I could be being presumptions, are you in F3 - F2? Semi Pro/Pro karting? (not being facetious) - ....this is Ferrarichat, it wouldn't be out of the question.

ZF123 likes this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Hand model.
    Professional fluffer.
    Senator.
    (all very similar lines of work....)

paulchua and steved033 like this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #39 paulchua, Feb 4, 2020
    Started good, but turned really quick didn't it?

I don't remember when I was 15 circa 1994 at a car show, telling the Ferrari rep that my lamentation is that the F355 would not handle good enough for my expectations...if I did, I hope somebody slapped me upside the head.

15. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    Yeah I hope I’m not coming off as a spoiled kid but I think I’m just worried that I will do all that hard work and saving then have such bad buyers remorse that I can’t enjoy it but you guys are right if you work hard and save up then buy it you would probably feel like you deserve it.

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :D
    I aim to please....

paulchua likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #42 paulchua, Feb 4, 2020
    Assume since you did provide additional context to your concerns an 812 wouldn't 'handle' good enough - I've allayed that fear? If so - good man.

Now onto your second concern Buyer's remorse due to guilt.

You could buy a $1,000 dinner and feel 'spoiled.' or an expensive jacket, your feeling of this 'guilt' or being spoiled doesn't apply to just cars.

Not sure if you are coming from a place of inheritance or your assumed future.

If inheritance:
    Don't regret things (especially good things) that are out of your control. If you were born on third base with the ability to purchase these toys, and it's not hurting anybody around you, what is it you have to be guilty about?

Your assumed future prosperity:
    If you plan to make an honest living (without screwing other people over), what is there to be guilty about anything?

Perhaps your issue has more to do with envy that a Ferrari solicits? A nice house, nice shoes, heck being born Brad Pitt all can solicit envy, again - you seem to be struggling with deeper psychological questions.

Or perhaps you think negative energy from others just because of your current or future affluence is justified? If you truly believe this, then yes - live your life as a monk.

18. ZF123

ZF123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2015
    Bay Area
    Not an exotic car owner, but thought it was pretty cool to see another young person here (no offense oldies :D). I'm relatively close to your age and here's my view on buyers remorse. You will have remorse if you buy something you can't afford. I was very close to pulling the trigger on my original dream car (F430), but after reading about maintenance, tires, insurance and many other "hidden" expenses it didn't make sense. I don't see a point in owning something you can't use as you'd like to. However, if you can afford it, I'm sure there would be no remorse whatsoever as you'd be limited by yourself, not your $$ if that makes sense.

on a side note, i'd recommend tossing some money at tsla, might get you a tiny bit closer to the Ferrari :)

paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #44 paulchua, Feb 4, 2020
    Make sure you read the whole thread. His reasons for remorse have shifted like the sands of time:

We've talked about overreach - he said it's not that.
    He then claimed the 'true' reason is the 812 may not handle good enough for him (even though he doesn't even have a driver's license yet) - I mean, I bet he's worried Lebron might not like him after he 'plans' to buy the Lakers too.

Now we're at the 'guilt' problem.

Any advice on the regret and self-condemnation he is scared about in regards to his future 812?

I really wanted this to turn out well, gave a good faith outreach of my hand.

Yet he's quickly devolved into his chosen name. (sigh)

20. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    when i was 14, i lusted for a bmw 316i (e36) which at that time my family couldnt afford, fast forward 25 years of hard work, our business now has a fleet of bmw company cars.....Go buy a Ferrari in a couple of years, you only live once!!!!

ZF123 and paulchua like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    read the whole thread...
    :)

Unfortunately, he thinks your BMWs might not handle good enough for him.

Yeah he went there...

22. JustAnotherCarPerson

Nov 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Butt head
    The reason I said it might not live up to my expectations is that I recently watched a video of YouTube uploaded by VINwiki about
    “Should you meet your childhood heroes?” And it was about these guys who got there childhood or cars they wanted when they were teens and the guy that was telling his story wanted a 1st gen Dodge Viper and he got it when he was a adult it was a big disappointment.
    He probably built it up in his head and it wasn’t like what he thought it was gonna be and I’m afraid that might happen and I won’t be able to enjoy it.
    No I don’t think I’m BMW is crap or that Ferrari is better and BMW is a trash. I actually really like BMW and most car brands I just happen to like Ferrari more.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #48 paulchua, Feb 4, 2020
    The first Dodge Vipers are notoriously tricky cars to drive for laymen at the limit. There is no traction control, heck, not even ABS.

Watching a YouTube video of somebody saying they were disappointed in a 30-year-old first-gen Dodge Viper, then extrapolating that your planned 812 Superfast's purchase might be in vain because the handling might disappoint you?

hmmm, I guess plausible. I mean some people do get hit by lighting multiple times...

As far as the BMW analogy, you missed the point. Didn't say you feel the BMW is crap, pointing out you're worried about a scenario that may not even happen, or if so, will take many years (unless you on the cusp of a trust fund?)

I assume not, since you've previously said you plan to 'work hard and save up.'

Yet, even after that, you said you would feel guilty like a spoiled kid. Why?

Let me ask *You* a question.

I'm planning to buy a rocket to Mars, but I'm worried i'll be disappointed when I get here, also I feel guilty about it. Can you give me advice?

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    This is a very good one. Lol.

25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Wanna make sure you sleep good at night? Make sure you study as hard as you can and earn the money in the most honest way when no one gets hurt in the process, then in this way, I guarantee you will sleep good at night, no matter what you buy. Also, take care of your parents the way they take care of you when you were young, then buy a Ferrari. If your dad wants one, buy one for him first.

Did I just answer for every dad out there? :)

Welcome to Fchat.