360 - Differences between fuel vapor (charcoal) canisters-'99 360-modification possible? | FerrariChat

360 Differences between fuel vapor (charcoal) canisters-'99 360-modification possible?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RedNeck, Feb 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have been having the gas pump switching off issue since I got the car so I finally decided I was going to swap out the canister. I did my research and since I have an early assy. # (33xxx), all research pointed to 174782 being the correct part. I even verified this with the part that was currently on my car....but after ordering, it looks like for some reason I have the later part, 180132.

The difference is easy to see...the 174782 (the top main picture) has the "vent" side of the canister closed off, while the bottom picture (180132) has a nozzle on that side, leading to the on/off valve (45 on the bottom pic). Both are the same Dayco B460 canister and have the part marking "174782", apparently after the design change, they just used a sticker to show the new part number, which apparently fell off of mine.

My question is this...I have not removed my old canister yet to test any theories, not have I received the one I ordered...but could I either

1. Modify my new canister to accept the nozzle from the old one and keep the setup the same?

OR

2. Delete the on/off valve altogether and just use the new canister as designed? Will disconnecting this create a CEL? The valve only has a hose connection to the canister, but does have an electrical connection.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    A third possibility after looking at a few pictures...maybe just getting rid of the quick-disconnect altogether for the vent tube to the valve and just using a vacuum hose/clamp setup.

3. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    My car is earlier than yours and I have 180132 on my car with the sticker on it, the production date is December of 1998 on my canister and the part is original to the car. For the American, Canadian and I think Australian market part number 180132 was the original part for the 1999 cars and was only the later part in all other markets. I don't remember where I found this information but here is a crappy picture of my part.

As for answers to your other questions, I have none, and there are so few early 1999 cars that I am going to assume no one else does either.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RedNeck likes this.
  4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Well, apparently the parts descriptions were just not very good, and this canister was used for Euro models of the 360...but I received my new charcoal canister today from @carguy246 , thanks! . The plug over the vent hole is just a cap that pops off, and the only difference between that and the 180132 is an extra "nipple" that is glued onto the existing port to accept the hose to the on/off valve....sooo with a bit of poking and prodding I discovered that with a little redneck creativity, some cheap beer, a little heat, a utility knife, and a LOT of patience, that nipple can be separated from the original canister and then fit to the 174182 port after the cap was removed. I will be using some heavy duty plastic epoxy and my $100 investment is going to pay off....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Nice analysis, If you ever get around to doing something similar with the header and figuring out what the actual difference is between the US 99 headers and the Euro 99 headers I would be interested. Also, don't forget to print off a small part number and scotch tape it on to your new canister or it won't work properly.

RedNeck likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Hahaha! I’ll be sure to do that..

Some Guy in the sky likes this.
  7. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I completely remove the entire evap system deleted from ecu,s still same issue . Installed a challenge fuel vent tube, what else could cause this ??

8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  9. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  10. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    There is a fuel pressure sensor the same side of the evap could this be it ? Bad fuel PRESSURE sensor ???

11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Notice 360 challenge fuel system does not have fuel pressure senor . All my research only thing found that it could cause issue bad pressure senor ??

12. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  13. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  14. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Ant thoughts here ??? I am buying one and replace the old one 95.00 dollars gamble here .

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I think the rollover valves can cause the same condition also, have you checked those?

16. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    mine are all new first thing I replaced

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

im confused about what you are asking. Do u have an "air leak" code? And you wonder how to get it resolved?

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sorry late to this party...

I can delete evap system completely and code out the fuel pressure sensor too in the ecu's with my Ferrari SAK tool.

The early 99 cars didn't infact even have a fuel pressure sensor fitted. I can also do the same for cat efficiency, cat monitoring and cat temperature thermistors as well as cold start air injection delete for post 99s. Also secondary o2s. I am now using the cat estimation modelling (if people want it) instead of thermistors and cat ecus. And ofcourse you can also delete the immobilizer too.

With these changes you can delete;
    1. Cats
    2. Secondary o2 sensors
    3. Cat control stations
    4. Cat thermistors
    5. Cold start air injection system
    6. Entire evap with charcoal canister and evap valves
    7. Immobilizer boxes and metal tray behind seats

You can also then fit headers without air injection piping and decat pipes or high flow lightweight sports cats which is my recommended approach.

All of the above yields some quite big weight savings..

tifosi101 and RANDY6005 like this.
  20. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wasn't asking anything, just showing how I got a great deal on the "wrong" canister, new, and hillybillied it to become the "right" model.

I still plan on getting the full monty....at some point, as we discussed, but not sure if I will go as far as removing the complete systems that had been bypassed, other than the immobilizer. My main concerns at this point are sending my ECU's overseas, and having a backup of the programs if I do in fact remove my immobilizer system..

360trev likes this.
  21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    No need, I have several USA affiliates now and I can send you your original files via email for backup purposes

RANDY6005 likes this.
  22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Awesome, do you provide backups of the modified program in case of an ECU failure? My concern is that if those systems are removed from the car, and an ECU failure forces a revert back to the original program, then it will go back to looking for those systems and render the car un driveable

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    You don't have to worry, it's not like the newer cars where dealers can and do update ecus. In fact in the era of the 360 and F430s they didn't have the capability to do it. So there is no real possibility of this happening.

tifosi101 likes this.