FCA membership | FerrariChat

FCA membership

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by mlcor, Feb 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I'm wondering if it's worth it for someone who (1) owns a modern but not a vintage Ferrari; (2) doesn't see using much (if any) of the membership discounts/benefits, and is mainly interested in drives (and to a lesser extent) informal get togethers.

Opinions welcome. Thanks!

2. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have had 3 modern Ferraris and I’m an FCA member for 10 years. In fact I’m the regional treasurer for New York. When I initially got my first Ferrari I looked around for car events and found myself at muscle car meets etc. After I joined the FCA I met a ton of people with all the same interests in Ferrari. I’m proud to say that it’s 10 years later and I love the club and the people, in fact I call some of them my best friends and we travel together. I would highly recommend joining the club if you want to meet people with similar interests and not worry about being judged by what you drive.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  3. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    There are some nice get togethers over the nicer months. I've been an FCA member for a while now as well. One of the biggest perks is the discount at LFSC or Continental on service, more than pays for itself.

Are you downtown or in the burbs?

4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I've been a member for 35+ years. In the early days there were only vintage cars at FCA events. Today, vintage cars are more rare at the events. You will be in the majority with a newer car. New or old you will meet at lot of interesting people with similar interests. Try it for a year or 2; you might be pleasantly surprised.

bball16 likes this.
  5. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Thanks for the responses. @Townshend, I am in the northern 'burbs, in fact just ten minutes from LFSC. Since I just bought the car last summer, I shouldn't need to be paying for any service there for quite some time (I hope!). I really dislike driving into downtown, and I'd be especially nervous driving the Ferrari down there. But I would enjoy other events. I remember the LFSC shows were always fun to go to, before they killed it.

I used to own a Lotus years ago, and we had a decent sized group that would get together in the hinterlands (southwest near Marengo, or up into Wisconsin) for spirited drives. Unfortunately that informal group sort of melted away. Those were the days. I do enjoy get togethers, and went to one North Suburban Cars and Coffee last year, but nothing beats driving these cars.

6. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Mlcor, where do you live? I am in Green Oaks just up the street from the orchard.
    The FCA is a nice organization. They have many fun events, and the ones in Chicago are not to be missed. Driving downtown on a Sunday morning with no traffic is a blast. The national get togethers are always a lot if fun as well. I highly recommend joining.

7. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Wow, we are also in Green Oaks, a mile or so from Independence Grove. What are the odds, in a town with less than 4000 people in it?

And I did go ahead and join. Counting the days til we can get our cars back out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bball16 likes this.
  8. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    It’s well worth it. I always look for driving companions and FCA has great events. I live in the northern suburbs so let me know if anyone wants to do some drives. Have an F8 on the way...

9. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I'm definitely up for drives once the weather turns. Took a brief test drive in the F8 they had at LF Ferrari, you're a lucky man!

10. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Awesome. Sounds like we have a group in the northern suburbs. I live in Vernon Hills. When it gets warm I say we all meet up and drive!

My car is finishing next week (hopefully), which usually means another 5 to 6 weeks before arrival to dealer.

Fixjets777 and tickerhound like this.
  11. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What car is arriving?

12. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Looks like my car hit stage 70 so 6 weeks till arrival at LFSC. Thinking a end of April drive is anyone is up for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fixjets777 and mlcor like this.
  13. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Getting an F8

tickerhound likes this.
  14. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    I am hopeful my car arrives in 3 weeks. Assuming that is the case if anyone is up for a “social distancing” drive let me know.

15. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Yep. The cars are more than six feet long.