Going to Ferrari factory, food question | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Going to Ferrari factory, food question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by italiafan, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Just wanted to thank all the contributors to this thread (particularly Alberto + Marcel), as I was in Maranello last week for a factory tour and although we couldn't get into Montana, we ended up having lunch at Retró Gusto, and dinner at both Pasticcino and Opera 02.

The food and service at each restaurant was excellent, although Opera 02 was a real highlight given the weather and the lovely setting that complemented the fabulous dining experience.

paulchua likes this.
  2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Awesome to hear about Opera 02... we’ll be there in a couple weeks. Looking forward to dinner and a couple of their tours.

We also have reservations at Montana. Sadly no factory tour. No F-car right now. We will tour the Lamborghini factory.

QV308 likes this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    When we were in Maranello last year we stayed at the Maranello Palace... not bad very basic... but the supirise to me was La Gazella the hotel restaurant - which is not on site but about a 15 min drive ... the food was fantastic, service was great and it was pretty cheap - I think for two people we were out for under $60... which shocked me. the next night there were 4 of us and we went again and it was about $100, and that was with wine, cocktails, etc... the chef brough over his own Grappa and Limoncello... and drove us home as we closed out the place. Lots of Factory people there. I was not expecting much food wise but it was very good. Maranello is a great little town, love the atmosphere, and people. Montana is by far better food quality - Cavallino is a must do. food is hit or miss. you have to go when they are not swamped. stick with pasta.

paulchua likes this.
  4. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Terrific, I'm sure you'll enjoy Opera 02. I hope you reserved a table outside?

We also went for a factory tour at Sant'Agata Bolognese as part of the trip to Emilia Romagna.

Are you including Pagani on your itinerary too?

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We only asked for a dinner reservation. We’ll tweak it for outside when we get there.
    No Pagani with limited time. Wasn’t sure how much to schedule so we kept it light.

QV308 likes this.
  6. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was there a couple of weeks before you, only for two nights, so we reserved Cavallino the first night, and Montana the second.

I enjoyed Cavallino. Food was very good, atmosphere was great, and I was surprised how low the price was, by my standards of course. When I travel to small towns in North America, I’m also often surprised how low prices can be there.

Second night at Montana... Mrs Rosso still hasn’t stopped talking about it. It was distinctly better than Cavallino. I didn’t think we would, but we went through all the courses offered. Shared one starter, two pastas, two meat course, two desserts and of course the obligatory limoncello digestive. Oh. And plenty of vino along the way.

If they have roast veal the night you are there, do not miss it. It was incredible.

At the end of the night, based on the amount and the fantastic quality of everything, I was shocked how low the bill was. That same meal in Atlanta or San Francisco or even Des Moines would have been three or four times as much. (And it wouldn’t have been as good.)

The next morning we moved on to Florence, and I could go in for days about the food there!

One last note. Mrs. Rosso can’t handle gluten, and so she was a bit bummed heading over there that she wouldn’t be able to enjoy a real Italian Bolognese. Not true. There were more gluten free options in pretty much every restaurant we went to than I have seen pretty much anywhere in the US. She was actually able to have a gluten free Pappardelle with Cinghale Ragout. She was in heaven.

We’re going back next time just for the food.

QV308 and Nospinzone like this.
  7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Italy is excellent for food!

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +1 on the retrogusto, Enzo the owner and his wife are the real deal. Really nice folks!

QV308 likes this.
  9. knlprez

knlprez Rookie

Dec 25, 2007
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Kingston
    Resurrecting a bit of an old thread, but we will be doing a factory tour in the near future and are looking at restaurant options. One in our group is gluten free, does Montana have any gluten free pasta options?

10. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes indeed they do. Mrs. Rosso is gluten intolerant and we were both very pleasantly surprised at both the range and quality of gluten free options everywhere we went, including Montana.

(Funny add on, when we were seated I spoke to our waiter in my - I think - passable but halting Italian. He just smiled and said “English? OK. We do English.” After letting him know Mrs. Rosso needed gluten free, he just said no problem, we won’t bring you anything you can’t have. She didn’t stop talking about how good it was for months.)

knlprez and NbyNW like this.
  11. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Don't want to hijack a foody thread but I'll be in Maranello and Modena in late June '20. I own a 458 but didn't buy new and can't get any favors from my dealer/service guys on the tour. Is there any way to do something more special than the "normal" bus tour given that I am an owner of a F-car? Thanks and the restaurant recommendations are very helpful!

12. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Bus tour? Is this a general in city tour , or dedicated to auto? You should go to as many museums as you and not only Ferrari?

Buying new from your dealer is not nec a requirement to having them sponsor you for a factory tour, however relationship with them is, as there are limited dates and slots available to them.

Go to Montana and you will see a lot of memorabilia there too

13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I never used my local UK dealer but rather Maranellos of Egham, UK. I did have recall work done there but know on of the staff quite well. Worth trying a different dealer.

14. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Thanks. Still working it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

DOP is the authentic Balsamic ... IGP is what gets imported to the USA. if you are buying a bottle of Balsamic Vinegar for less than $50, you are getting IGP. which is basically cooked down vinegar with coloring of various quantities. some IGP can be very good... but DOP Vinegar is done the traditional way through evaporation which takes time and is done in small quantities like Sherry or Port... solara system. it acquires its color naturally ... its not in heard of to buy a small bottle of DOP for $250 or more. I have some that is 75 years old ( Enzo would have been just starting out ) .... its on order of a premiere cru Bordeaux.

Nospinzone, SAFE4NOW and killer58 like this.
  16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've been to Francescana and if you are a "foodie" its spectacular... however the locals are not as wowed ... Massimo Bottura has done a good job but he's now getting over played. He is now taking over Cavallino... so Ferrari are moving the restaurant up market. just like the clothes will now be done by Armani.... Francescana is an experience... the food is extremely good for a Michelin star restaurant there are a couple of do not misses - one being the tortellini and the lasagna... lemon tarte is also good but messy. when we were there it was Truffle season - so we had tagilatelli alla tartufo. which was simple and left you wanting about 1000 more bites... the truffle was infused in the pasta, and the sauce looked like an egg... amazing. it was light but super truffle flavored .... cant figure out how they did it.

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Any USA authorized Ferrari dealer should be able to schedule a Factor tour for you. last I checked its $350 a person. if not Contact Ferrari North America.... they will be happy to take your money. if you are going in June - it will be warm inside... so dress accordingly - they done allow shorts or open toe shoes, but it gets stuffy. ( we had pasta and two bottles of wine before our after noon tour... I was almost a sleep by the time you get to the leather workshop... ) I would recommend two days in Maranello. One for the tour - they will take you to the museum, but its for a short time - then ends at the Ferrari store. 2nd day - do the main museum in the morning when its not busy, and then drive up to Modena for the Enzo Museum... its easy and totally worth the time. ( Maserati is just down the street in Modena)....

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Tortellini and Lasagne ("e", plural) are two typical and common pasta here in Modena: you can eat excellent Tortellini or Lasagne for 10-12 euro each (or even less) in every good restaurant (90% of the existing ones) without wasting a ton of money.

In my opinion it's better going to a typical Italian restaurant (Bottura isn't, whatever level of excellence he reaches): if you visit Texas, maybe better eating a typical Texas beef than an Italian pasta… ;)

This is why not all locals like Bottura, despite being an Italian excellence, who definitely he is.

ciao

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I understand completely. I love Modenese food... and I think he is doing today for Italian cooking what the Troisgros brothers did for French Haut cuisine in the 70's... he's refining it and making the same memories while bringing more art and skill to the cooking. Your comment about Texas is not too far off.. but the beauty is that if you are in Texas and want Italian food - there are several authentic places ( mostly Neapolitan style ) to get it. The Issue with Italian food is there is no real repertoire like there is in French Cuisine. Each area of Italy has their own way / custom of doing food - but its unwritten and uncodified, so it makes it harder to really say what tagiliatelle bolognaise is ... you have to rely on each area to define it... or not have it at all. Cacio e pepe... or Carbonara are great examples of pasta that is fantastic, but you will get it a number of different ways... Bottura is using that lack of codification to bring more finesse to Italian cuisine, and mixing it with other techniques for something new ... and exciting. you would not go to Bottura for a traditional lasagna... his lasagna is not at all what you typically get in a local restaurants. We could all buy fiats and have an Italian car.. .but we buy a Ferrari for the passion and dedication to speed,. racing and romance... same with Bottura.... or any 3 star Michelin restaurant.

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Typically when I travel I eat local foods. It is easy in Italy because I love the food from many of the regions but I will defend Texas. So happens I eat here regularly and we do have a couple of good Italian restaurants in Austin area. An Italian friend from San Francisco raved about a local place here swearing it was the best outside of Italy she had been to. When you and Bruno visit we can replay our lunch in Modena. I'll buy.

Then we'll go have BBQ the next day.

Albert-LP and SAFE4NOW like this.
  21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you have a few extra hours and can get in this is a wonderful experience. It's just a about 2 km past Montana's on the same road
    https://acetaiarossibarattini.it/en/

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    belatedly to the thread: +1

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Maybe I wasn't able to Express in a good way what think. I mean that an Italian tourist in Texas would like to eat something typical of Texas, a traditional Texas food, as you are a tourist and eating the local food (for me) is a way to discover and knowing better the place or country you are visiting. So I wouldn't go to any Italian restaurant in Texas, even if excellent: I can eat Italian in Italy, I would prefer to eat in the Texas way. I wrote Texas, but I could write "France" or "Germany" and so on. This said, I go back to the discussion: In my opinion Bottura is not Italian way of cooking. Excellent, but ( like the Italian restaurants in Texas) not typical of the country and the area where he is.

Ciao

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree. I prefer to eat good local food when travelling. Otherwise...why travel?

SAFE4NOW and Albert-LP like this.
  25. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It never ceases to amaze me when we travel in Italy and France and see Americans going into McDonalds. WTF?

I don't even go there in this country. :D

Crowndog and SAFE4NOW like this.