'62 Maserati 5000GT | Page 13 | FerrariChat

'62 Maserati 5000GT

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by frank4cars, Oct 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    So Ed finally sold it.

2. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    This car deserves a nice restoration, I'm a sucker for this design, maybe my favorite Maserati ever (with the A6G/54 Frua thrid series in a lighter style). It is elegant and stately, and there all the details that are typical of Frua. Hope it is in good Hands now.

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I've made more than my fair share of dumb moves. Here's the tale of one of them.
    Back in the late 70's, I pried loose from Lucille Schaub (widow of Harvey) Ferrari S/N 024MB, the Marzotto "Uovo". To get it, I had to buy the "package." The package included the ex-von Newman enclosed race-car trailer, and a strange Maser. I was warned that Harvey had messed with the Maser engine, and had probably mis-timed the cams. Knowing nothing about Masers, I immediately sold it off to someone in the mid-west whose name was known to me, for peanuts. Yes, ladies, it was a 5000GT. Now, with that little bit of history, can someone ID that car, and maybe even post a picture? I remember thinking it was not attractive, but then beauty is in the eye...

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed: I think you sold the Monterosa bodied car (006?) to Hilary Raab.

5. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I knew someone would answer, and I bet myself that it would be you, Dyke. Thanks! I suppose Hil made it run (or maybe you did?). What ever happened to it? Any more pix?

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #306 F1tommy, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed: Car is still with Tom Coady. He has really made it nice. A great car and a very nice family. I had a ride in it not so long ago. You are also correct in that the 5000 GT's are very special cars.

8. henk3

henk3 Karting

Feb 14, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Henk de Vries
    Bringing 103*100 back to life. It is a massive complete rebuild project, but the car is complete. Interior will be suede again, original colour was lighter than the dark brown shown in this thread. Exterior will be marrone metallizzato but the original ("cangiante") is with more clarity than the standard color at the time, and certainly a lot brighter than the dull brown it had the past decades. The engine is unique, being a prototype preceding the actual production Mexico engine. Also, this has become a complete rebuild.
    Portenos/FGM thank you for the insights here. Your 3500GT 916 is in good hands, best regards!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I would be very interested to know who has and where 916 has settled.
    Ciao,
    FGM

henk3 likes this.
  10. henk3

henk3 Karting

Feb 14, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Henk de Vries
    I am now the proud owner of 916, have read with interest all your reporting here on Ferrarichat. Imported last year and registered NL now. In perfect order and driving great! It has joined my Sebring, Mistral, Indy, Ghibli family.
    Henk de Vries, Amsterdam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Henk3, from the picture of your engine, it looks to be the "standard" V8 that was mounted on many of these Maserati at the time.
    Was there a 5000 GT engine in your car at some time?

henk3 likes this.
  12. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    As a side note, what a spectacular collection of automobiles. Your choices for your collection are outstanding.

henk3 and Nembo1777 like this.
  13. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I am happy to see you have my old car sitting in such a beautiful collection of automobiles.
    The 916 engine is very strong!
    Ciao,
    FGM

14. henk3

henk3 Karting

Feb 14, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Henk de Vries
    This is the original engine as installed in 103*100, it is a prototype Mexico V8, probably around 4700 cc. Possibly based on the civilized version of the 450S as used in the later 5000GT, supposedly very driveable, we shall see! I drove it briefly on the road about 18 months ago (after a first re-commissioning), and it was ok, sort of comparable to Indy /Ghibli.

15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I have known 103.100 for many years going back to the early 1980s when it was owned by my good friend Bill Hillficker.
    The engine in the car has nothing in common with the Ghibli which is a dry sump engine.

It is most likely an engine from the Mexico family and as you correctly stated the Indy. A wet sump, single distributor, chain driven cams.
    Perhaps chosen for its ultimate reliability. It is certainly a very unique 5000 GT.
    it is in this family that the engine was derived and has nothing to do whatsoever with the architecture of the 450 S engine which is completely different.
    I have many photos of the car in my archive.
    Here are 4 of the set.
    Ciao,
    FGM

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

henk3 likes this.
  16. henk3

henk3 Karting

Feb 14, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Henk de Vries
    Wow! Thank you.
    I have a classic car article featuring Bill Hillficker and the car in the 80's.

17. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
    3500 GT, wbaeumer, thecarnut and 3 others like this.
  18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Anyone able to update status of the Ghia 5000gt? Anyone I ask about it is very hush hush about even where it's located let alone who owns it now. I would just like to know if it's restoration is underway yet and if they think ANY of the body is able to be saved.

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    According to my humble records, #103.002, the ex-Shah-car is located and owned in France.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    oooops....I read too fast! You are asking about the Ghia-version (and not the Shah/Allemano-car). Well, the long lost Ghia is located and owned in the USA.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  21. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Is it being saved? I recall it was a big deal just locating that car. Then it disappeared again. Was hoping to hear about its absolutely enormous restoration. When I saw it, I didn't believe much could be saved.

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, you could save or replicate anything - at a price! However, it was a steal for the buyer in the auction. Resto comes up to 1 Million, I assume but that plus the sale money and fees would be still below market price.

23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    sale price accordingly to Hammer Price was $533k. The highest price paid for a 5000GT since 2016 was 1.677 for an Allemanno. Granted the Ghia is special, but like all vintage Maseratis they don’t command the numbers their equivalent Ferrari (500 Superfast)

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    2016 was a different universe!

The Ghia was not only special...it was a one off! Perfect for Pebble and all Concourses on this planet!

25. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Exactly, during that time frame the one off Michelotti bodied car sold as well as one of the 3 Touring bodied 5000GT plus the Indianapolis Allemanno car.

wbaeumer likes this.