458 Italia or Spider??? | FerrariChat

458 Italia or Spider???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pninja005, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 458 Italia from first owner and now all of sudden my wife tells me she prefers me to get a Spider... ?!?

Owners; which one do you recommend and why?

2. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    So when I was looking at my 458 I really wanted a spider. But at the time the extra $$$ for the spider was a stretch so I went with a Italia . After having had the Italia for a while and admiring its lines I was glad I went with the Italia. I have since picked up a performante and this time I had the choice of either, as cost was not an issue any longer and I went with the coupe.

While I do like convertibles I feel a pure drivers car is a coupe.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm a drop top guy through and through, but for the 458 I'd choose the Italia. The chassis flex and softer suspension setup of the Spider does absolutely nothing for me. But what works for you may be entirely different than what works for you. Keep in mind that the cowl shake and chassis flex is not just and issue reserved for those of us whom are frequent track rats. It's a very real thing that is also present going down the interstate at 70 mph. Cross a bridge for example, and the whole thing shakes and wobbles when you run over the expansion joints in the road etc. Go around bends in a spirited but still non-skittish fashion, and you will feel the steering column move about. It just does not work for me.

I will say this. Go and have a proper drive in both - more than an hour. See what you think.

If you think the Spider is a viable option and you want to look into it, here's one lat thing to look out for. Make sure it has the carbon racing seats. The electric seats and standard seats puts you waaaaay too high up in the car, unless you,re like 170 and have a short torso. I'm 181 and of regular build and.proportions, and even with the electric seats in their lowest position, I'm looking out through the upper most 6-8 cm of the windshield. Feels like I'm having to look out from underneath the frame. Add to that it feels like you're sitting on top of the car, rather than in the car - which coincidentally also looks a bit cartoonish from the outside.

Some agree with me, some don't. You need to try both, because they are very different.

docf, Caeruleus11, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  4. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Just drive both and get what you like. I prefer the italia as the engine view is special, and the spiders curves just don’t look right to me, the slope of the roofline/b pillar just feels off. Totally get the benefit of no roof, but I’d choose other vehicle options for that, personally.

xfrgtr, SPOM13 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am not sure where you live OP, or the type of roads you have, the amount of traffic you have to deal with, or the way you drive. Yes all that matters and after my experiences with cars I can tell you that if you have to deal with the same conditions I do it really will come down to whether you want the ability to have the sun shine in your car. I am old now my reflexes are not what the used to be but there was a time that I could have gone pro, and I can still handle a car better than most. My girlfriend (she helps me understand what people write on here) once said when I was shopping with her, that she needs clothes for the way she actually lives not the way she dreams she did (no evening gowns). I have used that logic when giving people advise about cars. Buy the car for the way you will use it in your life. If your life is like most peoples you have no racetrack across the street, or sweeping mountain roads where you have the road to yourself. More than likely you will be sitting in traffic or not going past 70mph very often. Your wife says spider, I'd listen to her. I have a spider, but I was not looking for one, I was looking for a coupe (I already have other convertibles), but I saw a white spider at Algar and I said (which is how I am closing in on 500 cars), I'll take it. Why because it was a good car had no carbon fiber decorations (totally useless junk) inside the car, and the car was locally owned and serviced at Algar. I have driven quite a few 458's and I have never felt anything close to what people claim to in the spider. Keep in mind I am autistic and my tactile senses are far beyond normal brained humans, I can feel a pebble in my front tire. I am not a big person 5'8" 152lbs and I usually drive alone (I don't like people that close to me), but I have no issues with the Daytona seats in my spider. I agree that each person has their own opinion about the coupe/spider thing and each person has their own purpose for their car. Either way, good luck.

6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can’t even describe the feeling I get driving with the top down and the engine singing on my spider. Couldn’t imagine anything better.

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  8. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    One of my customers said he sold his 458 spider due to the cowl shake. He said he just hated it. Interesting posts. I’m in PA and the roads aren’t the best but being able to drive BOTH before I buy one isn’t going to be easy. These dealers don’t let you do much of anything. If anyone is near PA let me know and maybe you can take me for a drive.

Melvok, Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’ve owned coupe, Spider and Speciale (and 488 spider and Pista).

458 spider has a lot of flex and shake. Over every surface. Really disappointing. But, by far the best sounds. Not even close. I’d get another and am looking.
    If sound isn’t the end all be all for you as it is with me, get a coupe.

tekaefixe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You have got to be kidding. Are you saying that things in the US with dealers have come to a point where a serious buyer cannot get a proper test drive anymore? If my local dealer tried that, he would see nothing but heels.
    To the OP, talk to your dealer about it. You're in a favourable position if your dealer has both a Spider and an Italia you're interested in. Then you put down a deposit and simply agree that you will take which ever car you like. If he then still is an ass about it, tell him to go spin, because at that point, it's not a business you will want to count on for support in the future anyway. I can't stand this kind of idiotic snobbery where dealers think the clients are there for the dealers sake. I can understand you don't want every Joe off the street joyriding the cars if they are not clients or actual potential buyers, but it's down right moronic and incredibly poor service to not let a potential client drive a car he/she may want to buy. Glad I'm in a place where dealers know they are there for the client, and not the opposite. I can understand why a new client will not get that kind of treatment, but they should be offered a proper drive and a good experience at the very lest. PA dealers must surely have a ton of business going for them if they can treat potential clients like ****.

tekaefixe, Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  11. Franchise1450

Franchise1450 Karting

Apr 20, 2019
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Franchise1450
    I own the Italia. The car is so ****ing loud already with the windows down you really don't need any more noise than it already produces. But more importantly, this car was meant to be a coupe, the engine viewing is an absolute work of art, it's part of the soul of the entire car and brand now, and you get none of that with the convertible. Do not underestimate how cool it is to see your Ferrari engine on display every time you walk up, it's absolutely beautiful and makes this car unique.

12. Franchise1450

Franchise1450 Karting

Apr 20, 2019
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Franchise1450
    Oh and also the price is like $20,000 cheaper

13. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I have always had A topless you. When looking at a 458 I drifted toward the Italia for a change of pace. I drove both and did not notice a lot of difference on shorter test drives. Perhaps more seat time would yield a different result.

none the less the Mrs.’s said it is not like you to have a coupe.

Being a hard top was also a big plus as I am kind of over canvas.

I purchased a spider and love it.

x z8 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    My wife and I just purchased a 2015 458 Spider. I wanted a 458 Spider and she wanted Rosso Corsa with black interior. We both got what we wanted. Although she did like our former 360 Spider more as you could see the engine. I love the open top ride of the Spider. It is a personal choice in the end but those famous words really are true. Happy wife, Happy life. I'm very happy.

x z8 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    From another thread (458 Mileage Sensitivity), posted today:

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I agree that the coupe looks better in that respect BUT I spend my time in the drivers seat where I can't see that. I prefer the open top when driving.

x z8 likes this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I live in PA, in the suburbs of Philadelphia, then minutes from Algar. My car is in storage until April 1st, but I can make sure Algar will give you test drives.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    This is what i love about FChat!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    BTW...I graduated from Cheltenham High School. :)

Cigarzman likes this.
  20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i've always been a coupe guy. i think they look better. plus driving a drop top is glamorous for about 15 seconds then its annoying. plus the 458 spider wobbles quite a bit. i live in the NW and drive in the rain so a spider isn't as "practical" anyhow. stick with your initial impression

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Glamorous??? That's a new one. I have to ask out in the open. Fellow FChatters, how many of you use your Spiders for glitz and glamour events? Me personally, have not walked a red carpet since 2016 and I came by team bus, not in a Ferrari lol:D

I think those of us who like drop top driving, think it's great for a long time, and if it's a good car, it never gets old. The 458 is like I also said, too flexy for it really, and frankly, Ferrari does not do wind deflection as well as others. A 911 may not be the most exciting thing ever, but you can cruise the Autobahn at 250 kph top down and light a Cohiba should you wish to do so:) Once you get above 130 kph in a 458 or 488, it does start to get windy and noisy, at at 200+ it gets pretty damn loud:)

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    LOL, you folks are spoiled take a drive in a spitfire or a TR6 and then talk to me about cowl shake. I don't even notice it in the 458. I guess being old does have its advantages. I am not from the Philadelphia area (came here 33 years ago), but I do know where Cheltenham is. When you have taken apart as many cars as I have you don't want to see a engine, that is unless you are working on it. Something else I never quite understood, why people like to look at engines.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I never thought the Ferrari spiders (360, 430) were too bad, then one day I drove a coupe and I never went back. I drove my friends 458 Spider when it was brand new, again, wonderful car, but wow, the chassis flex was too much for me. I know I am sensitive to it. I would always get the coupe, but, this only will go to cement the advice above: try them both and decide what you prefer.

xfrgtr and Graz like this.
  24. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    All good points here, pro and con But to me, unless you are tracking the car, having a convertible ferrari is just the quintessential way to go...that sound, the wind in your hair, sun on your face... ciao bella!

x z8, Ash Patel, NYC Fred and 2 others like this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Yes, but the flex is VERY evident and present.

RT964, LVP488 and xfrgtr like this.