Is a Dino considered a Ferrari ? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Is a Dino considered a Ferrari ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by zvdxb, Jun 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    While the U.S.-model driver's door jamb D.O.T. manufacturer's label may not settle the question of whether or not a Dino "is" a Ferrari (see, Clinton, William Jefferson), it ought to end the claim that the Dino was "made by FIAT." Having said that, if a person is determined to consider a Dino to be either a Ferrari or a FIAT, no one will disabuse him or her of that notion. Fred

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I “think” Ferrari “intended” to make Dino a separate sub-brand under Ferrari .. .[/QUOTE]

I’m inclined to believe that. Our Dinos carry (almost) nary a Ferrari badge.

But why? The common answer is that Enzo Ferrari did not want his name associated with a car with only six cylinders, an inferior car. “Call it ‘Petunia’ or whatever,” they imagine Enzo talking to his staff, “call it after what’s-his-name.”

True? Enzo didn’t mind having a Ferrari badge on the Sharknose, which won him his first F1 Constructor’s title. Dino’s death devastated him, and he mourned his son and visited his grave everyday. In Ferrari’s office, seen here in this 1965 photo by the great Julius Weitmann, the only ornament is a picture of Dino, there on that far wall.

Did Enzo not want his name sullied by the six-cylinder engines his son helped design? Or did he simply want to ensure that his dead son’s name would live forever on these lovely cars, without the distraction of a Ferrari badge?

Well, Enzo carried the secret with him, so you decide. Your guess is as good as mine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #128 4CamGT, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    I’m inclined to believe that. Our Dinos carry (almost) nary a Ferrari badge.

But why? The common answer is that Enzo Ferrari did not want his name associated with a car with only six cylinders, an inferior car. “Call it ‘Petunia’ or whatever,” they imagine Enzo talking to his staff, “call it after what’s-his-name.”

True? Enzo didn’t mind having a Ferrari badge on the Sharknose, which won him his first F1 Constructor’s title. Dino’s death devastated him, and he mourned his son and visited his grave everyday. In Ferrari’s office, seen here in this 1965 photo by the great Julius Weitmann, the only ornament is a picture of Dino, there on that far wall.

Did Enzo not want his name sullied by the six-cylinder engines his son helped design? Or did he simply want to ensure that his dead son’s name would live forever on these lovely cars, without the distraction of a Ferrari badge?

Well, Enzo carried the secret with him, so you decide. Your guess is as good as mine.

View attachment 2872931 [/QUOTE]

Andres, I think that’s a correct perspective. “Dino, almost a Ferrari” could have been a Freudian remark by Enzo. Could it have been Enzo’s love and admiration for Dino to eventually become his successor? The “Dino” was the ultimate tribute for the remembrance of his beloved son.

2GT likes this.
  4. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    While this may have been an issue when a Dino was a relatively inexpensive car, with values where they are now the question is: who really cares? A single Dino's sale proceeds could fill a five-car garage with "real" Ferraris. I can't imagine anyone is questioning a Dino purchase based on whether it is or is not a "real" Ferrari. A Dino is simply a wonderful little sports car the likes of which the Ferrari factory will never produce again.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    If anyone wanted to know Ferrari’s (the company - whatever the official name has been through the years at any given time) thoughts today, just ask to have your Dino Classiche’d and that will end any speculation on the official position.

However, let’s take a look back in time....

What seems to have started this whole debate is one of the initial Dino 206 Brochures, an advertising piece. Factory Literature piece 20/68. This is NOT the first Dino brochure (15/67), but the second (I may have missed one).

The brochure says in Italian “ quasi una Ferrari” and has the English translation “almost a Ferrari”.

This verbiage was used again on the first 246 brochure (29/69), but the only real difference in the brochures are the technical specs, all the pics and ad splashes are the same. Basically, a quick update of specs using the same/previous piece.

By the time the first “Real” 246 brochure arrives, the format and wording are way different. This is Brochure 40/70.

It now says (in English) “proof of the constant development of the smaller Ferrari cars”

By the time the GTS comes, brochure 65/72 states “another successful product of the Ferrari limited series range”

Dino Ferrari was focused on smaller engines and therefore smaller cars. That has always been a hallmark of the Dino range. Whether racing cars, road cars or thought. Looking at the Dino’s before the 206 GT, they are all smaller in size.

Enzo dedicating the Dino format to smaller cars, isn’t a snub because they aren’t V-12’s, but rather an honor for his son. Nothing more or nothing less.

The wheels were set in motion as the Fiat transition takes place and makes sense to have a Dino line that expands Ferrari’s capacity. Fiat gets theirs and Ferrari can have his but both stand alone. As the early 70’s start to play out, the oil crisis changes the world. The previous plan for a brand, on both fronts, start to change.

Clearly, the public wanted to buy a Ferrari and not a Dino, but was happy to buy a Ferrari Dino, so the company adjusted to not loose sales.

The 308 GT4 was caught in limbo, but by the time the 308 GTB rolls around, we can start to see why it was no longer to be called the Dino GT/8.

Even better, what is the Italian definition of “quasi”? I am not sure, as subtlety affects every language. In English, one accepted definition is “having some but not all of the features of” per dictionary.com. There are lots of other definitions that do not tend to pretend something is not something else, but rather a partial part of something.

At the end of it all, I think snob appeal died away. I don’t dislike a Daytona, but it doesn’t do much for me. I have said this over the years. I still feel the same way. A Daytona (well actually a 365 GTB/4 since Ferrari never called it a Daytona in period) is a great car. However, it is really not a Daytona because a brochure didn’t call it that in period, is it?

Just wondering....

Shawn

-K1-, paulchua and UroTrash like this.
  6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Bluebottle, abstamaria and Jon Hansen like this.
  7. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    What's cooler? A Dino 206/246 or a 308/328/328/348/355/360/430/458/488/F8? Market prices show Dino.

Bluebottle likes this.
  8. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many thanks, Shawn. That’s very comprehensive.

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    yankeleh and UroTrash like this.
  11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    UroTrash likes this.
  12. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Well said, Fred - and, I might add, very few people know as much about the Dino as you do!

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  13. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks, Bob, but you know even more about Dinos, especially mine! Fred

14. yankeleh

yankeleh Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    Forida/France
    Full Name:
    Freddy
  15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #140 miurasv, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    "Is a Dino considered a Ferrari?" Yes, a Dino is considered a Ferrari, but it is not a Ferrari. It is a Dino, a car that was made by Ferrari, and the perfect junior, but no lesser version, of the father, Ferrari.

GIOTTO likes this.
  16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely right, Fred - A Dino is a Ferrari through and through. Only pedants argue that a Dino is not a Ferrari.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    As I said all my adult life -- coming from someone who owned a Dino for 15 years --

A Dino is not a Ferrari. Its better.

UroTrash likes this.
  18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    On cue! :D

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    [/QUOTE]

He not only intented to make "Dino" a separate brand: he legally did.
    As said many, many times, the last batch of Right Hand Drive 308 GT4s built for the british market (= about two dozen cars) has a full 17 digit VIN which is spelled "ZDF...etc"; Ferraris have VIN starting by "ZFF....etc"; whatever you think of the filiation between Dinos and Ferraris, legally, according to the international Vehicle Reference System, "Dino" is a different brand.

Rgds

TheMayor likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sorry to nitpick, but not true.
    At least if we do consider the three pre-production 308GTBs: all three were initially badged "Dino", there are many pictures proving that (see the 308/328 section).
    By the time the car entered production, the slow sales of the 308GT4 on the US market had convinced Ferrari that the "Dino" name was not marketable in the US, so the production 308 GTBs received "Ferrari" badges and script.
    But the pre-production 308 GTBs were indeed badged as "Dinos".

Rgds

TheMayor likes this.
  22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Just another example of badge engineering. In the '60s you could buy a BMC 1100 as a Morris, Austin, Riley, Wolesley, MG, or Vanden Plas. Same car, same manufacturer.

TheMayor likes this.
  23. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Agreed, John. If the question were whether or not a Dino was ever BADGED as a Ferrari, it would answer itself. However, it can't be denied that in every respect other than marketing, a Dino is a Ferrari. My Dino is currently undergoing some refurbishing at Algar Ferrari, where it was sold when new, and from everything I have gleaned from their treatment of it (and me, as its owner), it is a Ferrari to them. As with the age old philosophical question of which came first, the chicken or the egg, this issue will never yield a definitive answer. Fred

crinoid and Bluebottle like this.
  24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    At the end of the day, who gives a flying ****!!!:D

miurasv, racerboy9 and 375+ like this.
  25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I just love that it is called a Dino. I don't think Ferrari knew it at the time, but they made such an outstanding and extremely special car in its creation.

DinoLasse and Bluebottle like this.