Washing your car in the winter | FerrariChat

Washing your car in the winter

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Alexcle, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Hello all,

I have been confronted with a dilemma. The winters here are cold in ohio and with my 911 being close to my dealer I go for complimentary hand wash anytime. However with the Ferrari, dealer is hours away and I cant wash nor do I want to wash the car in the cold. Summer I am happy to admire the lines and wash.

There is a high end wash for my other cars I am a member but it’s not touchless.

My car is a daily driver, how do people wash their cars in the winter- touchless wash? I have Full PPF and ceramic coat- will the chemicals or pressure from the water be bad for it?

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If your car isn't too dirty, use Optimum No Rinse Wash or try Carpro Ech20.

kes7u likes this.
  3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Mine go into hibernation with the first road salting and don’t come out until the spring rains have rinsed the roads clean.
    Wife will take her 911 to a local car wash and have it hand done. Since it’s a daily driver, we don’t really care if they “touch” it or not.

kes7u and NürScud like this.
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Slip the guy at the Porsche dealership a few bucks!

:)

Matt

bernardo66 and daytona355 like this.
  5. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Lol- I am cool with the service and sales guys there and they do favors for me all the time. Bought numerous from them.Problem is the GM at the dealer is a grinch and they only sell Porsche there. He would hear about it if we sneak it in and ppl get in trouble

Plus I am trying to find a long term winter solution while cold here. Only winter is the issue and I like the car too much to not drive it. If it rusts later- I am gonna get something else.

6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I drive my car all winter. It gets dirty once and stays that way until the Spring....it solves a few issues the biggest being not wanting to drive it because it will get dirty:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The AMMO Frothe system works quite well ... requires no hose or water other than diluting the concentrate, I do it in the garage, comes out nice. Mix the Frothe with water in the aerator, spray it on a panel at a time, wipe it off with a microfiber towel. I also use their paint conditioner afterwards.

https://www.ammonyc.com/shop/hoseless-lift-kit-150/

Thecadster likes this.
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmm, I had never heard of that product. Good to know.

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I don't drive my Fcar in winter usually. My 458 Spider does not perform anywhere close to its potential when the tires are not warmed to at least 120F. It is not easy to get the tire temps that high when the ambient temps are significantly less than 32F. So I console myself with driving my S4 and S5 Audis shod with all-weather radial tires. No stress. No mess.

10. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Floor drains in my garage.

JV's89 likes this.
  11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    when i was in college i drove an MGB, and in the winter (in NH) i put on a hardtop.
    i had pity on the car once, and took it to an automatic car wash so that i did not have to get out of the car.
    i went through the wash and drove it home.....and then discovered that i could not open the door since the water had seeped in and the door latch was frozen!
    i had to remove the hardtop from the inside and crawl out!

12. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    You can get an outside tap that is both hot and cold water so you can wash it with warm water when it’s cold outside.

My wife thinks I’m crazy but I have washed cars down to about 35’ F.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D

I have done that and my wife also thinks I am crazy. LOL. However I am trying to find a solution where I don t have to wash it myself in the cold. MAYBE a quick hand wash place, but all auto around. Seems all the hand wash are in the rough areas of a city, not ideal to stop by there!

14. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Double check on detailers in your area. Heated indoor detailers are common now. It will usually be that of or ceramic coating guy.

15. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    That’s a good idea, I will try that thank you

16. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Use a bucket of very warm water. Believe it or not, it makes a huge difference.

Nospinzone likes this.
  17. enzoformenh

enzoformenh Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    I like the no rinse stuff as well. I usually run it through the touchless wash first to get the heavy stuff off and then finish it in the garage with the no rinse. Most of my cars are black so I have to be extra careful hence the touchless first.

Nospinzone likes this.
  18. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Same here; heated garage with drains make it easy. I prefer to wash inside year round.

bball16 likes this.
  19. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yup. I have radiant in the floor, 2 indoor retractable hoses, 2 retractable extension cords and a wall hung garage vac. It’s 40 outside right now and I just washed all 3 cars in shorts and sandals.

JV's89 likes this.