Thoughts on this 355 Spider? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on this 355 Spider?

Discussion in '348/355' started by sgtpeper, Jan 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What do you all think of this deal?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=532009788&LNX=PSEMAILLEAD

I reached out to the seller. It had its last major 3 years ago.

He's also including new stainless headers and stainless cat eliminators.

The airbag leather has shrunken and the stickies were done except for the dash vent. Last owner had the car for 17 years and this guy is the 3rd owner.

Doesn't seem super motivated to come down in price.

Didn't love that he believes it's okay to go 10 years between major services...

2. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    My thoughts are that the pictures are terrible. Definitely need to see it in person.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    What's going on with the ashtray and mirror control panel?
    Red shift knob?

With only 5 blurry photos included, none of the engine, he obviously doesn't want to sell it.

I would want to speak to the guy who owned it for 17 years.

WATSON and Ferrarium like this.
  4. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Ferrarium likes this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I always get a kick out of it when someone says something like this, "Didn't love that he believes it's okay to go 10 years between major services..."
    If the car has no issues, why would it need a major other than Image Unavailable, Please Login ? Do annual fluids changes, take care of issues as the occur and drive happily. I have 7 on mine, don't plan on any surgery anytime soon. Other than water pump and timing belts tensioners, there really isn't any need to drop the engine to address other issues. Most of the "while you are in there" issues I read about represent neglect to me as most can be addressed w/o engine out. CV boots, headers, clutch, engine mounts, sensors.... none require engine out.

jjtjr likes this.
  6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    On the plus side.... it is a 6 speed manual. :)

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If everything checks out and you want a spider, I don't think that is a bad deal.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    s
    I have to agree. I believe that any car, regardless of make is a machine that requires maintenance. And a car that is tracked often and brought to redline on a regular basis should probably have an engine out more often than a car that is just driven lightly. For a buyer to consider whether or not the car was maintained properly, a PPI would tell the tale. The same philosophy can be applied when purchasing a used chainsaw. There is definitely "Belt paranoia" in the Ferrari world.

10. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    If it is in need of an Engine Out (7ish years), has dash shrinkage or needs Sticky interior addressed should be questions to the Seller, PPI would be highly recommended.
    But even if it needed the Engine out service it is priced well enough to accommodate this.
    If all those things were addressed & Engine out within the Last Year you'd be looking @ $70K+ asking price