Stroll buys a stake in Aston Martin | FerrariChat

Stroll buys a stake in Aston Martin

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, Jan 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Red Bull just confirmed it will not be sponsored by Aston Martin anymore after 2020.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A name change very soon perhaps?

Aston Martin sounds better than Racing Point.

Isobel likes this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That was expected.

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    2021, it's mentioned in the article.

william likes this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. The article stated that would be the case as of 2021.

william likes this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I bet Eddie Jordan never imagined for one second that the F1 team he started in 1991 would end up being called Aston Martin 30 years later, after passing through 5 different owners!

Aston Martin's previous foray in F1, back in 1960, wasn't very successful.
    One of the drivers was a Texan chap named ... Carroll Shelby !!!

jpalmito, Flavio_C and ktu like this.
  8. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Will just prolong the ultimate demise of Aston Martin, building AMG's in party dresses would never work out well and now they have an F1 cash drain on top of it, I really don't think F1 participation is going to help them sell anymore road cars.

jpalmito and m5shiv like this.
  9. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I haven't looked at the balance sheet of Aston Martin as a business, but since they operate in the high end vehicle market, have a long history, tie-ins with James Bond and auto racing, I'd hope there's enough profit margin on their expensive road cars that they can survive. They just introduced their first SUV, so if that works out like other makers they should be boosting the bottom line.

As far as Mr. Stroll, well, it's easy to criticize buying your way into F1 for your son, but, I guess if I was that rich I'd do it for my son too! Lance has made his share of mistakes and hasn't been qualifying well, but I think his stats show he makes a lot of passes on the opening lap, so who knows.

Isobel likes this.
  10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    A big challenge ahead: combining pink and green.

stavura, Robb, bernardo66 and 2 others like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Aston Martin financial woes started when they invested in mid-engine supercars like the Valkyrie and the Vallahah.
    They were the brainchildren of CEO Andy Palmer who wanted to buid halo cars at Aston.
    Lots of money was invested in buying enginnering from Red Bull to get Newey's expertise on board.
    I don't think these cars will be a commercial success, and probably Palmer will be shown the door before long for his mistake.
    The clientele base for Aston Martin is very different from Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren buyers.
    Aston customers want comfortable and sedate day drivers that are not too ostentatious.
    Cramped knee-high supercars that attract attention don't fit in that category.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'm inclined to disagree. My opinion is that Stroll is very talented at creating and extracting value in the luxury goods world. Aston Martin is a premium brand that carries a lot of cache but has fallen on difficult times. This makes it a strong opportunity to acquire the brand and turn it around. Lofty goals but the people involved have a track record of success so it looks possible. Only time will tell. My belief is that Stroll has seen value where others missed it and will build Aston enough to make it a valuable prospect to a major car maker to buy. Who knows maybe Mercedes could be a buyer or VW could add it to its fleet. Again time will tell but I'm optimistic.

Regarding Stroll's shift from the fashion world to the auto sector that too makes a lot of sense. Again my opinion is that he has had a lot of success in the fashion world but has also been a car guy for some time. With his son in F1 shifting his talents to the car world is a tempting challenge and an opportunity to be around his son and spend time with him while helping him as much as he can. Let's stop the baby Stroll bashing for just a second and ask yourself if placed in the position of Stroll Sr. with your talents, passions, and finances at your disposal would it not make sense to do the same?

Isobel, stavura, Simon^2 and 2 others like this.
  13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    They’re reporting that the corporation is changing its name to Aston Martin Aye.

14. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    AM's production seems to be about 6000-7000 per annum. Ferrari and Lamborghini were making money at those volumes. Perhaps AM's production costs are high due to the MB content (electronics and engines). Perhaps they were running too close to break even, sales volumes took a dump, invested in the big ticket super cars and started losing money. Don't know.

Flavio_C likes this.
  15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Stroll to his son: So Lance, do you like your new team now?
    Lance: Yes daddy, but the name is stupid...

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Well, who knows, perhaps Stroll Snr had his pride wounded when Ferrari told him that his son was not Ferrari driver material... Now he is somewhat a competitor...

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    CEO Andy Palmer got too ambitious, IMO.
    First he wanted to bring supercars to the brand, but had to outsource the engineering (Red Bull-Newey) at a cost.
    At the same time, he intended to launch the DBX, the first Aston SUV, against the Lamborghini Urus and Bentley Bentayga.
    He had to borrow money to buid a new factory in Wales to produce the DBX.
    Aston went on the stock market to raise some equity, but the share price was far too high, and went down almost immediatly.
    All that made the banks nervous and reduced the lines of credit.
    It's not really the volume that matters, but how exposed your are to a change of economic climate.

I think that Lawrence Stroll got a lot of shares for his bucks, buying when they are down.

Flavio_C, Sunracer and Nuvolari like this.
  19. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    First step get rid of whoever is styling the cars as none of them are cohesive with the cars being littered with odd details, the DBX maybe ok but looks like a posh Mazda CX5 which probably matters at the price point

Sunracer, Ferrari 360 CS and 355TDI like this.
  20. 88porsche944

88porsche944 Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
    Do you have an article where that was posted?

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    You mean that Austin Powers looking guy shouldn't design Bond’s cars anymore?

Attached Files:

stavura likes this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    88porsche944 likes this.
  23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I disagree for the majority of the AM line. Their aesthetic is different from the shock value of Lambo or the racer inspired Ferrari. AM is supposed to be pretty and they mostly are.