Race School - GT or Formula? | FerrariChat

Race School - GT or Formula?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by SpeedyOmega, Jan 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi everyone.

I want to take one of those SCCA driver schools this year. There's two that can work with my schedule, one is a GT course at Lime Rock and another is the F4 course at Indy. I have no experience on a race track, at all, and neither class seems to require any. Just curious which you think would be the better option and why? F4 sounds instantly awesome and fun, but it's totally unlikely I will race an F series (probably more like spec miata or 951). Anyway, just curious what you all think. Thanks!!

2. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Formula car all day, every day. The sensory input compared to a closed wheel car is no contest. And a built-for-purpose race car is going to give way more feedback than a converted street car. Learning things like trailbraking and how to balance a car on the throttle while cornering (weight transfer) will be much more obvious and easier to learn when the car reacts more to your inputs. And even if you decide you don't like open wheel, all of the lessons will still be applicable to GT cars.

Smiles likes this.
  3. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good information. Thanks!

4. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    It is always best to start driving on track with a car which doesn't have any nannies (traction control and ABS) as this teaches you much better car control. Modern cars can cover up a multitude of mistakes.

I learned to drive on track with a Porsche 944 Turbo (951) and it taught me to be smooth because it has zero nannies. I race with a 2011 Porsche Cayman S with Bosch racing ABS but no traction control.

The aero on the Formula car will make the car handle much differently than a GT car so not all of it is transferable. That being said, the Formula cars usually have no nannies and sometimes, as was the case with the Formula Skip car I drove at Lime Rock, have sequential gear boxes. That is fun!

You shouldn't think either car would be a right or wrong decision as you will learn either way. If you have never driven on track you most likely won't be going fast enough to explore the real differences between the two cars.

Make sure you watch some good video on YouTube of people who know how to drive. Google an SCCA, NASA or PCA race and watch the winner. Try and pick a car which more closely resembles what you plan to drive. If you have a Sim (XBOX or iRacing) it is good to use that before going to the track to enhance muscle memory.

It can be a little frustrating at first as be proficient on track is all about seat time and instruction. Most of all have fun!

5. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    LuigiVampa,

All good points. I'd also add to not start with a high horsepower car. Big power is fun, but it can become a crutch to cover up mistakes. You don't want to become "that guy" who wallows through the corners holding everybody up and then blasts away down the straights. A lower power car teaches you to maintain momentum and carry good corner speed otherwise you'll be slow down the next straight.

Regarding aero effects, I had the chance to talk to several F4 drivers at COTA once and they told me that the wings generate little to no actual downforce. The same was true for the old Skip Barber cars. I don't know about F3 or the SCCA classes.

6. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Even on my Cayman the rear wing is capable of a decent amount of downforce. F4 definitely have good aero and the Formula Skips as well. You just have to drive fast enough to create the downforce. That's what the wings are for.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Quoted for truth.

Well said and accurate!

Matt