C-8 Corvette a disappointment | Page 2 | FerrariChat

C-8 Corvette a disappointment

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Bill ochrane, Jan 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Well there in fourth place GTLM at Daytona right now with 20min. left behind a BMW and two Porsche 911s . Likely to finish in fourth.

2. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    _Carnut_ is "bang on" with his description of the folks on Corvette Forum... (I too am a member)... am on my 6th Vette (more than 800K miles over 30 years).... as is often said, "Best bang for the buck." My C7 has 95,000+ trouble free miles on it. Gets great gas mileage - commonly more than 32 on a road trip... with improved sway bars and larger shocks it handles much better than a stock one.

I do believe people who tout Corvette handling should spend a few miles in any F-car.

I waited 60 years for a Ferrari, silver 328 GTB - I pretty much split the DD duties between the two cars: deciding factor is generally "Do I need the trunk space?"

I'll likely be trading the C7 for - not a C8 - though I do like them - for a Porsche Macan... keeping the 328. I'm 78 and need something of a DD that's easier to get in and out of - but a couple of cases of wine in the 328 works... now, if I need the Yeti that has to go in the passenger seat - :D

G. Pepper, Isobel, 14RE458 and 2 others like this.
  3. R CALI

R CALI Rookie

Jul 13, 2017
    Keller, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Segel
    I'm one of those that has had Corvettes since 1968. In addition to our Cali we have a variety of other toys in the garage. My C8 convertible will be built in April and delivered at their Museum in May. IT IS NOT A FERRARI OR A FERRARI SUBSTITUTE! There are many in the Corvette community that try to compare it to a Ferrari to no avail. No matter how you look at it, it's still a Chevy, and in our case, wrapped in about $40,000 of options from the base price of $60,000. Sure it 'pops' and has performance to spare, but they will be building 40,000 of 'em a year for quite a while. The one thing it will NEVER have is 'exclusivity'. Isn't that really the reason someone buys Gucci loafers, a Hermes bag, or a Rolex watch?

I really can't wait to get mine, BUT I sure will not be sacrificing any of my other toys to get it. A few weeks after we get it, I'm certain my wife will begin referring to it as our 'rain car'.....

customryder and Mimmo Blue like this.
  4. John Hasty

John Hasty Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John H. Hasty

5. John Hasty

John Hasty Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John H. Hasty

6. John Hasty

John Hasty Rookie

Jul 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John H. Hasty
    What else would you expect from a Porsche owner?

DARKLIGHT likes this.
  7. M1GIR

M1GIR Karting

May 27, 2005
    BOCA RATON, FL
    Full Name:
    MASSIMINO GIRONTA
    I HAVE OWNED FERRARIS OVER 20 YEARS AND CORVETTES FOR OVER 30 YEARS. 20 YEARS AGO IF YOU WANTED TO DRIVE AT VERY HIGH SPEEDS AND FEEL SAFE DOING IT YOU NEED AN EXOTIC. I HAD A 328, 360, 430 TWO CALIFORNIAS AND 575 MARANELLO. I PURCHASED A NEW C7 Z06 IN 2015 AND GOT ONE OF THE FIRST 32 TO LEAVE THE FACTORY. I STILL HAVE IT AND PUT 23K MILES ON IT AND BESIDES CHANGING THE OIL AND TIRES TWICE IT HAS NEEDED NOTHING. IT HAS BEEN EXTREMELY FAST, FASTER THAN MOST FERRARIS ON RALLIES. I HAVE ORDERED THE C8 (THE BASE CAR IS EVEN FASTER) AND AM LOOKING FOR A 458, LAST OF THE NON TURBOS THAT I WILL KEEP. THAT FERRARI SOUND JUST ALWAYS LEAVES YOU WANTING MORE. I HAVE DRIVEN THE F8 TRIBUTO BUT THE CAR LEAVES ME FLAT.

Manda racing and G. Pepper like this.
  8. DARKLIGHT

DARKLIGHT Rookie

Jul 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tim Turner
    I’m actually a 1980 Aston Martin Vantage owner. The reason I joined this forum originally was to get information on fixing a friends 1980 308 GTSi. I couldn’t believe how GREAT THIS FORUM IS! I belong to the Aston Martin Owners Club forum and the big discussion is what Champagne goes with what cheese. I can’t believe what a help you guys are. I’m not even close to wealthy, so I have to fix my car myself. Because of lack of information that can be very challenging. I have several friends that own Ferraris and they are very mechanically inclined but don’t have the time to work on their cars. So I’ll help out when I can. But getting back to the Corvette discussion. I worked at a Corvette specially shop for about 10 years. The strange thing about Corvette owners is that a lot of the older owners cars were actually being used frequently when I was working on them (1988-1996). I still drop by to say hello to the owner of the shop occasionally. The owner of the shop said that most of the younger owners (40-60) aren’t really car people. I seldom see people using Corvettes in “Anger” anymore. But that’s just my observation here in San Diego. By the way I drive my old Aston as much as possible. Thank You, TimT

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Rookie

Jul 27, 2016
    I was at the Rolex 24 in Daytona and every year the corvette display is well done. Numerous cars to sit in. One year a C7 displayed on its side so the underside was easily visible,.... As I walked up to the display this year I expected more than I got. I think it comes from way the front of the car looks. Its just too high off the ground and not much different than sporty sedans and hatches. Nothing to hate, but also nothing to fall in love with. I chatted with two guys who alleged that they have owned many corvettes and both of them were very negative. Not liking the interior and no manual option. My 430 is still my baby and won't be for sale to get a C8.

Attached Files:

10. Wyvern

Wyvern Rookie

Jul 27, 2016
    The Risi car always has the best paint. Poor guys don't get the balance of performance breaks they need. Now this car creates emotion!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. JohnInItaly

JohnInItaly Karting

Feb 5, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    John McCoy
    I bought a second Ferrari in October, and the dealer treated me very well. I was going to buy a Corvette, just to try one, if the base price really was $59,999 and the local Chevy dealer, here in farm country, thought that he had the Queen's crown jewels, so to speak. I am expecting the fit and finish to be far below my Ferrari's, and will just forget about it.

12. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In 1990, I went from Porsche to an Acura NSX. At the time, my wife owned an Acura Integra, a great DD that was fun to drive, and it was reliable. I had every magazine article, every press release on the new NSX. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I got a silver beauty, number 714, that I thought was a really good omen.

I began to sour on the NSX experience in less than a year when after a 700 mile trip, the cords on the tires were showing upon returning home. There were less than 7K miles on the tires. Before we left, I inspected the tires, and they were serviceable. A blowout at 70 mph would have killed my wife and myself. Acura, after a class action suit, gave initial owners three sets of tires, or a certificate for a $1200 discount on a new Acura. Big deal.

The foregoing is really meaningless to what I want to offer, and that is the NSX experience went downhill real fast because Acura DID NOT SUPPORT the vehicle. Oh, they gave the car ten percent more ponies and a T-top, but the vehicle remained under-powered for the length of it's run.

17 Years later, Acura offered a hybrid NSX with lots of power, cost 150K, and looked horrible. Acura sells 15-20 a month if that. The folks on an NSX forum wonder when Acura is going to kill the car.

My point (I regret if it has taken so long to make it.) One thing you can say about GM and the Corvette is that GM has continued over the years to support their enthusiast's base with new models. They keep the vehicle ALIVE in the minds, and consequently, the checkbooks of their owner base.

I will not buy another Acura... ever.

However, I would like to take a test drive in the new Corvette.

13. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Are you shouting? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Henry Bex

Henry Bex Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Henry Bex
    Well they got rid of the circular taillights :mad:

energy88 likes this.
  15. rdynamix

rdynamix Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2013
    Saw it in person this week at an auto show. It's OK looking but I can't help thinking that it seems like the design is a bit dated. Almost like it is a sports car from 2010. Every new Ferrari seems to be a design from 5-10 years into the future. The C8 seems to be a design from 5-10 years in the past.

Nice bargain performance car but I can't get excited about the styling. Add to that no manual transmission and squarish steering wheel and I'm out.

I like the C7 better and I'm no Corvette traditionalist.

Was excited about the mid engine but it's just not doing it for me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That wheel does not work for me either. I understand you can not get your fingers around it and the spokes are low at 90 and 270 degrees.

I think one who owns a Ferrari appreciates that he is not a marketing target for GM's Corvette.

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    tbuff, Jaguar36, BJK and 5 others like this.
  18. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I thought it was $60K for a 3 second car???

Manda racing likes this.
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not the one I specced

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    True that's a lot of car for the $$. The styling just seems a little off - sort of dated looking like it is from a few years ago.

21. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    Dude, The C8 is an awesome car. After all, it was based on the 458 Italia. Who cares what some think, It's exotic, sounds good, looks great and is fast as heck. Drive it!

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My C8 spec is around 83K, Jon you must have thrown everything in your build. I will take a test drive soon, and once I do, and if I like enough (there is always something that I will need to do to it), I will hand them my build sheet and a check. I don't see cars as this one or that one, I see them as what purpose I have (for now) for that car. I just bought my 2nd i8 (I was not crazy about the first one because it did not fill the purpose I had for it back then), and it fills its current purpose perfectly (I have made a few changes and it can now push me back against the seat), which is a winter fun car (my winter 911 is in the shop since Dec). Like most things I see cars differently than you all do. No car has ever disappointed me (maybe a Merkur but that was a long time ago), they just could not fulfill my purpose at the time. I have always railed against AWD sports cars (turned Gallardo's and 911 TT's into RWD cars), but it was because I didn't have a purpose for them. Well now I do, so I have one, and it serves its purpose very well. Perhaps for all of you my way is difficult to understand, but it is very simple like deciding what your hungry for, or your decision about what to wear in a certain situation. That is how I determine what car I want today, or which one I will drive. The day I bought my 48 spider, I was just bringing my California T (my purpose for that car was never achieved properly) in for storage, and I saw a white spider and said give me the keys please. That was it. I don't mean to be rude, but when I see people coming to car forums looking for justification to buy (or not buy) a certain car, I have to wonder how those people make it trough life. I will never feel the emotional responses that the rest of you do to a machine, but that does not mean I don't like driving (owning, taking apart), my cars. I am sure if I buy (probably not really an if) a C8 I will find a purpose for it, it might be to go food shopping, it does have a lot of storage space.

23. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    #48 Pis7a2020, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Well, to be fair, the blue F8 that is making its rounds, is underwhelming and very much close to a base car as well. Perhaps when new models are released, the first ones they produce are the base versions, which are then followed by the highly optioned ones.

I personally think the new Vet will be a formidable platform, especially when you get to the Z06 and ZR1 variants. I see Vet guys at the track all they time and they kill it.

At the end of the day, a base Vet is like $40k or something like that. That’s like the price of the carbon wheel option for a Pista. So I would say, good job Chevy. You get a lot of car for the money and an additional $10-15k in options make a huge difference in that car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Morrie, I did throw pretty much everything at the car. But it’s a convertible so the base price is higher.

Carnut likes this.
  25. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Your posts really are something else. You DO realize that 'liking' something is 'enjoying' something, which is, in reality, an emotional response??!!??

Kevin

JaguarXJ6 likes this.