430 spider top wont open | FerrariChat

430 spider top wont open

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bigfisher89, Jan 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    I have a '08 430 spider. The top won't open all the way. It opens most of the way but when it gets to the last part of the cycle the top doesn't go all the way into the boot and the bonnet does not close.

I have been told by my ferrari mechanic that the elastic bands in the top wear out - he says they have to remove some stitching and then tighten the elastics however he claims this is a few hours job and it is only a temporary fix that will only last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years then the top will need to be replaced.

I know the elastics are a common issue on these tops however I am not finding anything on this forum that addresses what the common problems and subsequent fixes are. Can anybody shed light on this? Is this a fix I can do on my own or should I be trouble shooting other components before I have my mechanic try to fix.

2. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Mine does the EXACT same thing...what has worked for me is the following...its weird, but it works every time.

A) Start the open function
    b) Once the front lifts off the windshield, reverse the function and close the top fully
    c) restart the open process, and keep going until open function ends.

I have been told its likely a strap adjustment I need, which I will get in march when I take the car in for service cannot imagine either one of us needs a NEW top as a result of the above?

pilotoCS likes this.
  3. GCNSX

GCNSX Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 20, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Greg
    What’s happening here is most likely worn elastics as you said. When you’re opening the top, as the section that is attached to the windshield unlatches and goes up vertically, reach directly above your head and you’ll feel a crossbar that will pivot front to back. The elastics flip this bar back as the top opens, and as they wear, they will no longer have the tension to do this. Flip this bar back by pushing on it thru the headliner (it will become obvious when you try it) and the top will open and fold away normally. I have seen this on multiple 430’s. You can do this easily from the driver’s seat each time you open the top and avoid having to dive into any sort of repair if you can deal with it.

You will not have to reverse this when closing the top. The bar will flip forward on its own.

jscarbtm and Tat-Liang like this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Ok. Very cool. Will try this weekend. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
  6. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    Thanks Much!! I will try it.

7. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    Any one know if shortening (tightening) the straps is something i can do myself? If so does it entail removing some of the stitching then re-sewing or something? Is there more than one elastic strap that needs to be tightened and if so where are they all located in the top? While I can certainly use a needle and thread I'm not sure tearing the stitching out is something I should be doing.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If this is your problem, it is necessary to replace the elastic that has lost it's stretch. It is possible to add new pieces (available at Walmart or Hobby Lobby) without removing the old ones. There are threads and videos that can show you how.

9. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    Where can I find the videos and threads to which you refer?

10. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    I have been looking for these types of videos and threads but have not had any luck finding them.

11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Here's one: There are others. I just Googled "Ferrari 360 soft top".

This guy really digs in and fixes several problems. He doesn't speak English but if you watch, you can see what he's doing and where things are. It is possible to do the elastic repair without taking the top apart like he does, but it helps if you know what it looks like inside. All the pieces are black so it can be sort of confusing to work on.

12. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    Thank you; I saw this and started watching it but since it was not in english I didn'tt watch much of it. I will watch.