360 - Solution for cleaning spotting inside of 360 headlight lenses. | FerrariChat

360 Solution for cleaning spotting inside of 360 headlight lenses.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Marcopolo3382, Jan 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    I was browsing Facebook one day and saw a product that caught my eye and thought to myself, this would be perfect for cleaning the impossible to reach area that is the inside of the headlight lens. For a while now I’ve dealt with the eye sore of water looking spots inside of the headlight lenses of my 360. I’ve looked at different ways people have tried cleaning them but always found that whatever someone was doing was just some type of contraption that they had to make and I was reluctant to try those methods. I was to the point to where I had just decided to “live with” how my headlights looked. Then one day on Facebook I saw a product called Scrubber Duckys. I must say that the product in its intended use had no appeal to me since I don’t participate in the hobby it is designed around. However! I said that would be perfect to clean the inside of my headlights with!!! So I reached out to Scrubber Duckys and was able to get all of the products that they offer. The following is a instructional on the process I used to successfully lean the insides of my headlights. Enjoy, I hope this helps anyone looking for a solution to this eyesore of a problem on their 360.

NOTE* this is a tutorial on the process I used to clean the inside of my Ferrari 360 Modena lenses. Attempt at your own risk. I will not be held liable for damages that May occur due to misuse or inexperience, Always use precautions. Safety first.

Tools needed:
    Floor jack
    Socket wrench with extension
    8mm socket
    Phillips head screwdriver
    Flexible grab tool (wrapped in painters tape to prevent scratching the inside of the headlight)
    Painters tape
    Microfiber cloth cut into small squares
    (2 x 3 inches should work)
    Streak free foam glass cleaner
    Scrubber duckys magnetic scrubber kit
    THIS KIT IS WHAT REALLY MAKES THIS POSSIBLE.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Time to complete: 3-4 hours depending on skill and lens condition.

Process:
    I found it easiest to remove the front wheels and inner fender well cover rather than going through the small access panel that is used to replace the headlight bulbs. The more space and leverage you have for this job the better it will be so do yourself a favor and remove everything that is in the way. I found it to be a very tight workspace even like this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Next remove the bulb to the highbeam.
    It is the light on the inner side of the light shown here where the red arrows are.

After you remove that I just laid it out of the way. Be careful not to bump or break the white plastic rod above it. That’s the headlight leveler.
    Now that the bulb is out of the way, this will be where you are going to access the inside of the headlight.

*NOTE* I used just the scrubber by itself and found it to be a little too abrasive for my liking. If I were to do it over again I would tape the scrubber magnet to the back of a cut piece of microfiber cloth and have it to where the microfiber cloth was in between the magnet and the lens.
    Next take the larger scrubber magnet (that is taped to the back of the microfiber cloth) and spray it with the foam glass cleaner. You don’t want it to be dripping but you also don’t want it to be too dry either. If it’s too dry it will be too abrasive and it can scratch the inside of the lens
    Next lay it on top of the end of your flexible grabber tool. It is magnetic so it will stay in place and carefully guide it through the bulb opening. I kept feeding it forward until I was close to the glass

I then took my magnet in another microfiber towel on the outside to grab the magnet and I was able to release the scrubber magnet by doing a rolling motion with my grabber tool as I slowly pulled it away.

Now that the scrubber magnet is in the lens I made smooth passes in a line back and forth. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE YOU DON’T GET THE MAGNET STUCK IN A TIGHT SPOT OR CREVICE. You also want to be absolutely sure that you don’t lose any part of your cloth or magnet because remember, once it goes in if it falls in the headlight it will be almost impossible to get out. You have better luck with the magnet but a piece of cloth, not so much.

As you can see I did the larger more open space with the large magnet. However, it is visible where I stopped near the top of the light. The reason for this is because the large magnet it too large to get in the tighter space it the upper part of the headlight. I was too concerned with the possibility of getting the large magnet stuck in the tight space so I decided to stop and use the small duck shaped scrubber. This magnet is very flat and will reach all of the crevices and tight spots. Again, I taped this to the back side of a piece of microfiber towel to keep it as thin as possible.

One thing to take note is that the smaller magnet is not as strong as the larger magnet so take your time and go slow so you don’t lose the magnetic connection with the small magnet. You also want to be sure you have a good magnetic connection with your magnet on the outside lens because you don’t want the magnet inside to roll. Like I mentioned before, you really don’t want to lose anything in that headlight.
    One thing I noticed was that it is beneficial to try and replace the microfiber cloth with a clean and dry one and go over where you just cleaned. This will buff out any streaks that will be in the glass so clean this as if you were cleaning any glass. I didn’t let it dry because I noticed streaking as it started to dry.

And lastly, after you’ve cleaned the inside and buffed it dry let the lens dry for a few minutes since there may be a little fuzz in there. I had a little bit so I used compressed air to blow out any debris that may have gotten in the lens during my cleaning.

Results:
    I am happy with how it turned out. I am even more happy about not having to spend $7,000 on new headlights due to a cosmetic issue that will almost certainly happen again over time to a replacement headlight. I also think that this is less risky than trying to heat up your headlight and take the lens off to clean it. I’ve heard so many stories of the lens breaking.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

brookliner7, S F, Kevin Rev'n and 9 others like this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Nice! Thx for sharing. This is in my future.

3. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    No problem, Hope it helps. Just remember, Be patient. Hahaha! There was one time when I lost the little piece of cloth in the lens. It was definitely a oh crap moment but I took a breather and assessed the situation and figured out the best solution to the problem and by the grace of god I was able to retrieve it. Thus my opinion on using tape to secure the magnet to the cloth.

4. Toonfosi

Toonfosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2014
    Valley Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Chad Woods
    Thanks for taking the time to share this process! Results look well worth the effort. I’ve got the same water spots (actually quite self conscious about it esp. when pulling up to a busy city crosswalk at night, haha), so will be following your lead.

Marcopolo3382 likes this.
  5. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    I bet if you need to fish out a piece of dropped cloth, sticking a shop vac hose on the bulb opening would get it.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Excellent! I suggest attaching a bit of thread to the items that go inside the lens. If it's dropped, it can be retrieved by pulling out the thread. I have some very light water spots on just one lens. I'd love to get rid of them without taking the entire thing apart. Great work!

7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Excellent, will use this technique

8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    This is the coolest idea ever...

Marcopolo3382 and A H like this.
  9. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing.

I suppose if I develop a modicum of patience at some point in my life, I will definitely do this!!!

Kevin

10. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Awesome! Glad I could help. Just be conscious of what material you use to clean it with on the inside of the lenses. I wish I had used the microfiber more than just the material on the magnet. I can see areas that were more abrasive than I like but still way better than the water spots.

Toonfosi likes this.
  11. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Awesome! Glad I could help. Just be conscious of what material you use to clean it with on the inside of the lenses. I wish I had used the microfiber more than just the material on the magnet. I can see areas that were more abrasive than I like but still way better than the water spots.

12. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Yes, I bet that would work as well. I hope that anyone else that try’s this shares their experience so this is something that can be perfected and used in the future.

13. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    East memphis, I did tie a piece of thread to the magnet but was afraid it would scratch the lens but in hind sight if it could be taped to the bottom side it will work as long as it didn’t slip out from the tape. BTW, if you ever want to try it I’m in the memphis area too. PM me your cell phone number and we can get in touch.

14. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I never thought of this, great idea.

Scrubber Ducky seems a bit expensive for what you get. Based on your experience, is there any reason why 2 similar magnets from china-mazon wouldn’t work if you put microfiber on each?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    I chose scrubber ducky because of how small and thin the magnets are and because they are manufactured with a scrubbing cloth around them. This would allow me time to start working on the cleaning and less time fabricating something to my magnets. I did try it with other magnets last year and it was very difficult to manipulate those magnets. I also feel the magnet that holds it is protected by a rubber cover so if it slipped out of the cloth I had a better chance of not scratching the outside lens.

shifter likes this.
  16. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Neodymium magnets that they sell at Home Depot and other places might work as well. They are super powerful and can be purchased different sizes.

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My headlights are exactly like your before pictures.
    That principle is a similar one used to clean the inside glass of an in use fish tank.

18. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
  19. 8202632

8202632 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    CDC
  20. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
  21. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi guys I just found this thread and am curious if you guys were able to remove the foggy hazing at the top of the light...to me it's something that looks 'baked' in hence not sure if it can be just wiped out?

I know it's possible to polish out the lens from the inside once splitting it from the headlight but that's a totally different level of invasiveness into getting these lights clean.

22. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
  23. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    If it’s on the inside the method I posted works great. If it’s on the outside and it’s oxidation to the plastic you can use a dual action polisher with a microfiber cutting pad and Meguires heavy cutting compound until it clears up then follow it with a polish using a foam polishing pad it will work. If it’s really bad and you’re brave you can wet sand it with a at least 2,000 grit sand paper and get ready to cut and polish at least 7 passes but it will work. Experiment on junk plastic first to build confidence. Go to a junk yard and get a headlight from anything and practice till you’re comfortable. It is worth it cause the headlights on a 369 are $3,700 each! Good luck and be patient and take your time.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  24. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    I really think that can be polished off with one or two passes. Doesn’t look too bad. I don’t think you need to even consider sanding that. I bet you’ll see a difference in one pass with the polisher.

25. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Hi, this is on the inside of the lens - I'm not sure if there is part of it from outside but I can check. The car was in Florida in the past and now in New England - both locations with high humidity, etc. which I assume can be a contributor?