F355 Market | Page 141 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #3501 Jon Von Bon, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    It is hard to get more performance out of a car that is a 10:1 compression, 12 second car out of the box it’s true. I don’t agree with the claims of some who would say that there is 30hp to be gained from sticking a tubi on it. Even the stock exhaust or the 355 isn’t all that restrictive, take the clam off your headers and take a look, no obstruction there.

Cat deletes, remapping and pinning the ECU(s), intakes and maf mods and rev limiter delete and of course exhaust work will produce some great results. All of which has been done to my car.

Replacing the heavy seats and replacing doors and skins and bumpers with light weight stuff is the next thing which I have not done but others like Jim here have with great results.

Turbos would be the next logical step. But I think at that point you would lose the spirit of the car. And in my opinion, the very point of loving the 355 is the very essence of its spirit and character.

There are tons of guys on here that have forgotten more than I could even care to know about the 355. All I have is my comparative experience between several 355s and I have had and have other very fast and more modern cars. Because I only like fast cars, beautiful women and other great things of life.
    There is dyno and other performance metrics on my car somewhere that I can’t locate but trust me, often, my 355 will catch me sometimes off guard and I have found myself thrown back in my seat reaching for the wheel with my other hand. My off the line and midrange improvements with some of my mods is impressive and will smoke the tires off it. In my opinion the key to finding the missing link in power performance with the 355 is finding ways to get more torque and more importantly midrange power out of it.
    It’s a 12 second car that does 185 MPH out of the box. It’s plenty fast. Finding the midrange power is the key to unlocking the magic power box in the 355.

I look forward to hearing about your happy experience when you find the gem of your dreams.

It should also be stated that the 355 will still out handle most everything out there today. It’s a little tail happy, but that can be managed to advantage as it seems to share characteristics of longer wheelbase cars when the rear gets loose. Again, another magic factor of the 355. And yes, it will out handle even a cayenne.

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    All this craziness. How about enjoying and honoring these great machines in their pure, unmolested form, as intended by the factory? In the end, it’s clean, well maintained, unmodified examples with reasonable miles that the the market values most.

3. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    No craziness. Spirited debate. Good points and stimulating conversations all around.
    Some guys like stock. Some guys like a few mods.
    I appreciate the conversation. I hope it helps people who are or may become new owners and even existing owners make good decisions and be aware of options.

But if your going to try to tell me some breadbox is going to clip my 355, well, I’m going to challenge that.

This forum is reallly great with a ton of good information. I have a lot of experience with these things that I hope I can impart to the brethren as it has been of benefit to me. I’ve torn them down to bare tin and driven them 60K miles on them. Like I said, I don’t know everything and learn everyday.

Buy
    Drive
    Enjoy

Peace out.

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    This.

I got my 348 after everyone said they're slow and junk. Do i care? No. I enjoy it for what it is.

People will numbers jockey all the time, but guess what, we're hitting the limit...the next movement is driving appeal and enjoyment. Remember, the young kids are after experiences...you're seeing Vans, and Overlanding, and suv's making a comeback. Prove that driving is an experience and an enjoyable pastime, and the result will be people enjoying the cars for years more to come, and values will rise.

sjd

tres55, Jon Von Bon and chopsui like this.
  5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Where did you get the 12 second 1/4 mile figure from?

Everything I see online says they run low 13s at best maybe a high-high 12s quarter.

Cayenne Turbo S will do it in 11.5 seconds. Even a stock BMW X5M will do it in low 12 seconds. I hope you don't run into either at a light. Lol

The 355 is a FUN car that is fast enough...but it's not fast by today's standards by any means.

6. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    High 12s or low 12s it’s still a 12 second car out of the box that has a 185 MPH top end. That’s pretty amazing. Even by today’s standards.

My 355 is one very quick 355 and it’s quicker than 12 seconds. The mods that I have unlock the power in the midrange and on the bottom end where the stock version is lacking.
    It is a very full power car through the ranges and it is very satisfying to drive. I like the stock look inside and out and other than the challenge grill, novitec lights and Big Brake Kit, it looks stock. When you drive it however, it’s extremely fast. Not for a 355. For any car. I would let my 1st wife drive my stock 355, I wouldn’t let her drive my modded one, (on second thought....).

Now, my S63 AMG would absolutely smoke anything that I encounter on the road, but that is a modern super car that looks like a 4 door sedan. A straight up muscle car.

My 355 would give my old C6 Z06 a decent run and beat it in not all, but a lot of categories. Certainly out handle it.

When you get yours, mod it the way you want, then come over for a beer.

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I had one for many years and just recently sold it to look for another example. Mine was a 98 F1 GTB with higher miles and I originally bought it to drive regularly (which I did when I first got it) but then our family grew and I have other cars that would be easier to jump in and go with so it didn't get used nearly as much anymore.

That's why I sold it...so I could find a nicer example with lower miles and rarer combination (mine was RC/Tan) so I can enjoy until I kick the bucket and hopefully my kids will fight over it. :D

Jon Von Bon likes this.
  8. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well, since this is the market thread, mines for sale for a billion dollars.

carnutdallas likes this.
  9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    In the world of 1/4 mile racing, something is or isn't based on instrumented testing.

If you aren't near a track you should pick up one of these and try it out. https://dragymotorsports.com/

Some I know have tried it at the track say it's very accurate.

That being said, highly doubt your car would run sub 12's in the 1/4 without more mods for power or weight reduction.

What year is your S63?

Mine is a 14' and ran 12.1 at 118mph stock so to say your F355 is quicker than 12 seconds is also saying it's quicker than your S63. (unless yours is a 2018+, I believe the 4.0/9 speed combo is a bit faster than the older ones)

F355's ran very high 12's stock (I think even the owners manual states 12.9sec) and of course mods help but takes a lot to drop a full second.

I -do- think the stock performance, especially taking into how accessible it is with perfect gear ratios, is still impressive.

10. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Jim, mines an 18 4maticS

It replaced my E55. (Also awesome).

I took 4 passes at the strip and clocked a sub 12 # on the 4th pass. I believe I was over 120mph

I’m telling you. My 355 is extraordinary and fast.

11. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Which big brake kit do you have? Any comments on strengths and weaknesses?

12. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey Rock, I have the Brembo BBK.

ITS AWESOME. It’s my favourite mod. Car feels completely secure. No fade, no wooden response under constant load. Looks cool.

I have a 14” front disk. 4 piston all the way around.

13. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This thread has turned into a Swinging-“D” contest, LOL

Let’s talk million dollar F355’s, I knew I sold mine too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Von Bon and BOKE like this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Can you post the time slip?

Numbers don’t add up to what’s done to your car.

Unless you were talking about your S63 at the strip, then we are on the same page :)

tres55 and BOKE like this.
  15. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Will you take installments?

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 355 is a mid 13 second car for the average driver. Respectable for the time it was built. It is not a low 12 second car. To get those times you are really beating on the car in perfect ideal conditions.and I mean just trying to kill the poor thing. If that is your driving style..good on you. But it is by no means the norm.

tres55 likes this.
  17. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    I can see a 355 hitting 12’s. Maybe in the high 12’s stock. Just need a good 60ft time and perfect shifts. I guess we need some printed time sheets to find out.

18. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    No.

19. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Jim, I’m talking my F1 355.

No turbos. No weight dump.

My stick 355 which only has the cat delete cappy mod would be in the 12s

20. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Tom, Of course your beating on the car, your on the strip, you’ve got your helmet on and people are watching you and you’re beside a Subaru WRX and you at that moment are not thinking about your propeller shaft, gearbox or clutch. You’re thinking about not suffering an indignity of being beat by a Subaru. In that moment, you don’t care if your car busts in half, you’re going to annilate the car beside you. At least that was my state of mind.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  22. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Agreed.

Real excitement racing is piloting 2 wheels.

With Jim’s awesome colour combo and weight reducing mods and the cooler and lighter 550 carbon seats, his is worth $999,990,000.00.

$10,000 less than mine.

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    To be blunt, that never happened.

You've quoted numbers for your car that have went from unlikely into the realm of impossible over the years.

The above mods do not in any way result in over 100hp gain on a stock F355 which is what would need to happen for the car to be capable of achieving F430 acceleration.

tres55 likes this.
  24. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #3524 Jon Von Bon, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Jim. I will find the paperwork . I love telling stories and they are mostly true, but gear head to gear head, Grand Bend Raceway in Ontario saw the fastest 355 ever to pass on the strip. My comments over the years have been consistent.

The car has a 60+hp gain.

25. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Your car is still worth 10k less than mine.