458 - 458 Speciale Tires - Pilot Sport Cup 2 K1 vs K2? | FerrariChat

458 458 Speciale Tires - Pilot Sport Cup 2 K1 vs K2?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MTribe, Jan 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MTribe

MTribe Rookie

Mar 18, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi all, apologies if missed this in other threads... does anyone know if the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 K2 is intended as a replacement for the K1?

I read the K2 was developed for the Pista, and the K1 the Speciale. The K1s have been out of stock for a while, so wondering if the K2s are intended to replace the K1s.

Thx!

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob

I’ve been wondering this myself, so I asked tire rack and this was their response:

“Ferrari used both on this vehicle, and what is important is that they all match. The K1 is only available through Ferrari dealers, but the K2 is available retail. Since this is an OEM spec tire, any changes to the tire beyond the published specs are proprietary information that the tire and auto manufacturers do not share with anyone.”

Not sure this was a good answer.... Anyone else?

3. MTribe

MTribe Rookie

Mar 18, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The K1 was in theory not suitable for the Pista (nor for the 488 GTB, although it was actually used for the track press tests) because it does not have the appropriate load ratings - however, the K2 with its higher load ratings should be suitable for the Speciale.

5. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    So what’s the best spec tire for the 488/F8 ? K2 ?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Sorry for that, it seems I completely mixed up things...
    So after checking Michelin web site, what is important is the load rating (95Y front / 103Y rear) and apparently Michelin reinitiates the "K" numbering for each new dimensions (so a tyre of same dimensions, width, diameter, profile but with a different load is not the same tyre - so that it does not have an incremented index for the "K").
    The web site proposes K1 tyres for the Pista (with no mention of K2) although as mentioned above, press articles (and even a press release from Michelin) have said the specific tyre for the Pista is to be named K2. However the press release mentions it as an iteration of the tyre of the Speciale (which it is not, since it has a different load rating); so to be honest I do not know what the reality is now (is the K1 with correct ratings the same as the intended K2? or is there an alternative K2 tyre for the Pista, although it's not mentioned as available on Michelin web site?)
    It would be interesting to double check what is mentioned on the PSC2 of Pista delivered now, K1 or K2.
    So far I am rather confused :(

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    K1 is the Speciale soec set and the K2 is Pista spec. They share the same load rating, compound and speed rating, but tread width is different, i.e different f/r bias. Both k1 and k2 will work on the Speciale. 488, Pista and F8. Ferrari set up the Speciale for the k1 in the way they thought was best, and same goes for k2 and Pista. That being said, several Pistas have been delivered and are still being fitted with K1 rubber as the K2 has been in low stock on and off. There's not really a right or wrong, as one tyre might suit one driver better than another in terms of driving style. I like the K1 on the 488, but I do wish it had a bit less rear bias and leaned more towards oversteer. But to put it simple.
    K1 Speciale
    K2 Pista
    And there's no danger or issues associated with using either on any of the cars that uses this size. Only car that cannot use them, is the regular 458 as it uses a completely different size.

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The original Speciale tyres had lower load ratings - but they seem to have been discontinued now.
    I looked at that specifically because there were a lot of questions (and arguments) about the press test 488 fitted with Pilot Sport Cup 2 for track timing, while these tyres were officially not available (and it was apparently due to the load ratings, I could not find any other reason). Now Michelin is proposing the PSC2 for the 488 (with the new K versions having the appropriate load ratings), which they did not before.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    True. I talked to a Michelin rep about this back in May I think, and according to him it was simply done because Ferrari had expressed a wish for a stiffer tyre for the Speciale. The old load rating was in fact adequate for both the 458 SA and 488 GTB which are pretty close in terms of weight. Except for the load rating, everything else is the same. There has been made no changes to camber, compound, tread patch size or tread design. It's all the same between the old and new K1. He also expressed an opinion about the ability to mix K1 and K2. For example for those who like a bit more understeer you could use K1 rear and K2 fronts etc. This is of course more track specific tuning, and I would personally use the same on both axles for street driving. But interesting stuff never the less.

10. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Informative thread, with how powerful cars are these days I find myself paying even more attention to tires (and tire pressure/temps)

I had new tires mounted/balanced + alignment at my dealer for my Speciale, asking for Cup2s OEM spec. I see now I got K2s all around. Didn't realize there were 2 OEM specs. No complaints with my Cup2 K2, trying to understand from @ilco-pilota what impact if any switching to (older?) K1 would be for the next set for my Speciale

11. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Actually both are available, I believe the R is a radical option and not the default choice (at least I did not see yet any Pista with the R, which has a different pattern - closer to a slick tyre).

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    I’ve seen many Pistas on R’s. One more difference, price is almost double than regulars SC2.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. The MPSC2R is an option for the Pista, not its standard tyre.

REALZEUS and LVP488 like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You are correct. The R is an option, and the price is downright insulting considering the longevity of the tyre. I definitely think the Trofeo R which also comes in a Ferrari spec for the Pista at this point, is the better choice. An MPSC2R rear is like 700+ Euro, they must be soft in the head.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The typical prices are 485 font and 600 rear in France (with possibility for 446 front and 540 rear), it compares to 303 (270) front and 390 (336) for the PSC2 K2.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Okay. I was just going off the top of my head. Still a stupid price for a damn tyre. They are milking it with this one.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just looked around a bit. That pricing must be unique to France. What I find is pricing in the 650-750 Euro range in many other European countries. It's even 560+ pounds in the UK which equates to roughly 665 Euro.

19. MTribe

MTribe Rookie

Mar 18, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I wound up going with the K2 on my 458 Speciale. If this helps—when the dealer (San Francisco) types in the K1 part number in their system, it replaces the K1 tire with the K2. I’m still not sure what the difference is, but if Ferrari is having dealers fit the K2 instead of the K1, I’d say that’s a pretty good endorsement for it on the car.

20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Following up on this thread, service is saying that I need new Cup2s for my Speciale. They are now ~2.5 years old since put on, with tread wear measured at 5/32nds rear 4/32nds front.... feel like this is still AOK for awhile no? Especially since majority of my driving is cruising around and a canyon here or there...

I know it's mostly personal to driving style/how much grip you want, but would love some input!

21. MTribe

MTribe Rookie

Mar 18, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    In my opinion, if you check the date code on the actual tires and they're within 3-4 years old, you're above the wear bars, with no uneven wear across the tread, and they're providing the grip you want (aka not heat cycled out if you're tracking), then you're good to go.

I've been very happy with the K2s on my Speciale, BTW.

22. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I'm equally happy with the K2s on mine as well, I guess my ultimate question is what is the typical tread depth wear that suggests tires need replacing? Maybe more specifically for the Cup2s? Otherwise I'm a bit oblivious, as driving the car has been sublime but for safety reasons of course want to be sure

3/32nds?

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Difference in tread width.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Just wear it to the bars. Simple as.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

sampelligrino and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Agreed, unless as noted above they are heat-cycled out, wearing unevenly, etc. or if you drive in the rain (who does that with Cup2s? Not me!).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

sampelligrino and Caeruleus11 like this.