What happens if LaFer battery goes flat? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What happens if LaFer battery goes flat?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by schein609, Jun 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Thank you for your insight , following your suggestion, we were provided a Braille CF replacement battery.

Question I have is, what did you do to by-pass the lead directly next to the negative post , that plugs into the OEM battery as noted in the photo below?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Also, FWIW , the OEM battery is 95% of the cost , the labor is minimal to R&R + reset procedure after battery replacement.

The OEM two batteries I have replaced in the past several years were $11,014.08 and $12,556.05 + shipping ( Part # 323568 )

S

3. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I learnt from a LaFerrari owner friend who is having his KERS battery replaced currently that the natural lifespan of the battery chemistry is apparently around 10 years but reduces with discharge cycles and sitting uncharged. His is an early car, so if true, we should be seeing a many more battery replacements over the coming 2-5 years.

4. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    No battery lasts forever.

I’m currently having the dealer provide a health check as they’re no longer under warranty... Happy Days!

5. Lou Cerchio

Lou Cerchio Rookie

Jan 20, 2020
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Louis Cerchio
    This was very helpful. Our LaFerrari is charging now.

Camlet1 likes this.
  6. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Does this work for the LaFerrari? The EPA classifies hybrid batteries under emissions equipment, requiring manufacturers to warranty them for eight years and 100,000 miles. Some states, like California, require emissions equipment to be covered for ten years and 150,000 miles. If the battery fails within warranty range, your total replacement cost is zero.

7. HeraldoBoldrin

Feb 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    heraldoboldrin
    I receive one La Ferrai today, and after conecting the charger.. i notice that the blue light is blinking showing that the 12v battery is charging.. but the Kers charging light is off... is correct? anybody can help me?

8. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Yes they alternate on charging. Blinking blue light to start is correct. Leave it for a day and then check if all three lights flash every few seconds. That is the sign that the batter has charged fully

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  9. HeraldoBoldrin

Feb 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    heraldoboldrin
    I try that... after all night charge.. red light on in the charge.. and message in tha car panel HV Degraded case temperature, HV Fail, Hybrid system failure.
    So probably i have Kers battery problem... correct?
    (i bring the car oversea and unfortunenty stay more than 30 days unpluged)

ryalex likes this.
  10. FCD

FCD Karting

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
  11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    To be perfectly clear, the failure to maintain the battery is not a warrantable failure. If an owner does not utilize the provided La Ferrari maintainer ( not to be confused as a charger ) it would not normally be a warranty matter. As an example, one runs out of fuel ,that would not make it a warranty engine replacement.

Did you utilize an actual Fronius battery charger to attempt to revitalize the battery? I have not experienced the La Ferrari maintainer ever actually recharging a completely dead battery as you described.

If / Since your battery has gone completely dead, there is a process that would need to be followed to bring the car back online, even after recharging or replacing the bad battery.

FWIW, When not maintained or other outside influence occurs, my experience is that one of three items can fail:

1. Low Voltage Battery ( $18k )
    2. High Voltage Battery ( $265k / $85k )
    3. Power Inverter ( $65k )

If possible, you may transport your La Ferrari to a La Ferrari workshop and have them perform Level I or II Diagnosis and find a solution for you.

I am sorry for your inconvenience, hoping you are back on the road soon!

Send me a message if I may help remotely as needed,

Steve

of2worlds and Marcel Massini like this.
  12. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Red light is bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Mike WMS

Mike WMS Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Feel free to contact me. I’m the LaFerrari guru in CA.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    So the only cure for this red light is a new Battery? What was the outcome of this situation