458 and 488 price parity... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 and 488 price parity...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dann0, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #76 Shadowfax, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    The level of desperation appears to have little relativity at the moment because where one sells 3 more appear. There are a lot more available for sale than what appears on car sales too - i recall being advised not to list mine at the time as it will only worsen the situation further. There is usually more used stock at the dealers than what is listed too. At one point a price has to be taken regardless of how desperate the sale is. It comes down to whether you want to sell or continue to hold out for a sale that in reality will never happen at that price. I recall a 2018 being sold for under 350 drive away and it had sub 1K on the odo. I also recall taking a 200K hit on mine for similar reasons that later models with equal options could be had for less and, on today's scale it would be worse. I'm so glad I bit the bullet and took the price I did. It's a case of taking the bird in the hand if you get lucky enough to have one take interest.

Take your 488 or 458 into a dealer today and ask what they will pay you right here and now to get out of it you wont like what they offer you. This is why the prices are all over the place. Everyone is asking and hoping but so few are buying unless the price is sub 350 and even then aren't flying out the door. It will be worse when F8 arrives and the flippers start up again. I really feel sorry for those guys. They will be smashed. Sometimes its just best to take the price and move on and pick your loss back up on the money through other means. Bottom line is you pay a lot for these cars new and get very little back now. This can only mean these cars are way overpriced new or, they have made so many the money just isn't there on the used market to absorb the numbers least of all return an acceptable resale value and sale time frame for the guy who paid a packet new. F8 will be exactly the same.

jehu999, WLFerrari and MANDALAY like this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I do consider myself very lucky that i was able to spec a 488 GTB exactly they way i wanted. Depreciation was never a factor as I just wrote of the amount. I enjoy and love my 488 GTB and so glad that I have her. So I fall into the category that I don't have to sell.

If the change over was an acceptable amount i would get a F8 but at 200 k and over its just not worth it. In a way all im doing is giving it to the government , well 150k of it will be theirs. Buggered if i am going to give them any more !.....

Lets see how things pan out in 2 years time at the end of the F8 but all indications are that it will be worse , given im sure we are going into a global recession.

488 GTB great car !!!!!

blkdiablo33 and Shadowfax like this.
  3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You know its interesting in Vic there is only 4, 488 GTB for sale privately. One which is ridiculously priced 2016 and the spec, Meh. 3 at non Ferrari dealers ( IMO i wouldnt ever buy from any of them , that's IMO )
    Zero from Zagames, I guess they are not advertising but on their web they have zero. Interesting they have a 2019 911 GT3 with only 45 kms ? May had to trade it to get their Pista
    Next weeks open day Ferrari at Zagames , ill see how many they actually have.

Here in Vic its against the law to have consignment. So either they have cars or they don't. So really there isn't a plentiful supply down here.

But I have never bought secondhand so I don't know if a Ferrari buyer would travel out of their state ?

4. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I totally get it. ...the prices for 488 as they are closer to a 458 is very tempting even for me...why not for a faster car newer car. But the sound of a car is just too important for me more so over power so Im sticking to the 458. BUTTTT I would take the looks of a pista over sound.

Viper830tt likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yep the prices are all over the place big time which is confusing and scaring the buyers, making it tough for the dealers to get sales over the line. You have a 2016 for 590 and another 2016 for 365. Most of the cars asking above 400 have been there since forever. The 2016 in that level of spec should be worth somewhere between 300 to 340 drive away based upon what later models have moved for. Most owners are destined for a 200k hit or more. These cars are also aging now and 2020 is only 2 months off so they will really need to sell some of these before new years. Re the 2018 gt3, I suspect a few have to trade their 488 along with another toy for the Pista instead of coming up with the money for the shortfall.

MANDALAY likes this.
  6. Franchise1450

Franchise1450 Karting

Apr 20, 2019
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Franchise1450
    I own a 458 Italia (first and only Ferrari to date) but drove the 488 spider in Italy for a week a few years back and put hundreds of miles on her racing around Tuscany on a trip from northern Italy to Rome (As a side note anyone reading this needs to do this, it was $600 a day through Kings Rent a car and I firmly believe there is no better use of a Ferrari then driving in Italy. The people love them (and I mean LOVE them), there are no speed limits, it was heaven on earth).

I loved the 488, and it gave me the Ferrari bug, but I ended up buying the 458 due to price and more importantly the NA V8. I actually think the transmission and stability is better in the 488, but the sound is about half as good. Looks to me are a toss up.

You really cannot go wrong either way, but for the money, the simplicity, the NA V8, and as an added bonus lack of any real depreciation recently, the 458 has my vote. And it needs to be RED ON TAN, no other color will do for me on a 458.

xfrgtr and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Sometimes there is a positive point to my condition. I just bought Ferrari #8 (a white 458 spider), but cars must all have a purpose for me. So if your purpose is to own a Ferrari than either car is fine. There was a time that I was a good enough driver to consider going pro, and though those days are long past me I can still handle a car pretty well (I have to if I want to stay alive considering what I do to some of my cars), and I have driven varieties of both, and where I live (I can only speak from that), there is nothing the 488 can do that the 458 cannot. What I mean is on public roads driving even aggressively legal (my new term), there is not really much of a difference between the way the two cars perform. I think the 458 sounds better, the 488 is more modern on the inside, I think they both look good. My purpose for the 458 spider was hey I always wanted a white Ferrari, and it has a nice non carbon fibered up interior (I have had my fill of CF all over the car). Figure out your purpose for a car, and will figure out what car suits that purpose.

Need4Spd, Avia11, Thecadster and 4 others like this.
  8. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    As a first ferrari buyer ... i think also my economic head has a bit of a say. Not only the heart ruling the roost. For all intensive purposes 488s in Oz are at or below 458 prices now similarly speeded and often lower kms. That gives a fair few years left on the 7 year warranty. I love the 458 but got to say the 488 is growing on me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Thank you Ray for an owners comparison review.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You will love the 488. It's a soulful and intoxicating beautiful car.

sampelligrino likes this.
  11. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. I've been driving Lambo's since 2005, Gallardo and an LP640, For me it was an easy choice. I went with a 2018 low miles 488. I expect to be crucified for saying this..but the opportunity to see 8-9000 rpms are few and far between. I liked everything I felt and heard with the 488. It's civilized when you need it to be and ferocious when you want it to be.

12. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Yeah here in Oz sticker for a 488 was around $525k + options i believe... now seeing sub $400k for my17 and 18 cars with sub 3000 kms... pretty attractive
    Sent from my SM-N960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm glad I'm not the only one in the world who thought it was "intensive purposes" :)

When I finally realized it was actually "for all intents and purposes" I couldn't believe I had been saying it incorrectly for nearly 30 years.

Kinda like when my Dad would wake me and my sister up - when we were little kids by - coming into our rooms and saying, "up and at 'em!"

I was always like "who is Adam?" And why is my Dad always waking me up in the morning by saying "up and Adam"

Ray

greg328 likes this.
  14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow... Minte... Now there's a forum name that's a blast from the past. Not this forum, another one hahah ;)

15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Then add your stamp duty etc. I see the low prices advertised but never seen a post of anyone ever buying a cheap 488 GTB

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Just sold my 17 spider. It had around 9k miles and it cost me nearly £30k pa. I could have sold it after a year at £10k loss but I didn’t and used it. A Range Rover over 3 years and 40k miles has cost me nearly the same. I would rather have got more of course, but I wanted to p/ex it rather than mess around with SOR since I have a few cars due this year.

I consider this normal depreciation, not recent Ferrari depreciation, so the cost has no doubt increased but even at this level it is not unfathomable. Would I rather have a 488 spider than a 458 spider? Without any hesitation.

PA Wolfpacker likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    At current market prices the 488 is a real bargain, unmatched value for money. I was planning to sell mine, but I'm keeping it. Instead of paying through the nose for replacing it by an evolved version, I will rather expand my "collection" benefiting from the market on used Ferrari (because to be honest, all used models are now at attractive prices).

18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Gently used 488's definitely a good deal and will be a better deal in the next few months as more are traded in on delivered F8's. Modern non-numbered Ferrari's are now following the depreciation schedule of similar mass produced sports cars/exotics. I have enjoyed the experiencing of specifying a new Ferrari but currently don't believe it's worth the spread. i'm not super picky when it comes to options. Have done no carbon fiber cars, have done loaded carbon fiber interiors. In the past when an owner could get in and out without suffering too dramatic a haircut, I felt differently. It's an opportune time to be a buyer and even low mileage F12's have piqued my interest as they near $200k.

Thecadster and Bundy like this.
  19. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Everyone here focus only in 458 sound compared to 488 and I guess that this statement is too simplistic. 488 is faster, newer, fresher, etc but IMO has no soul, the car drives súper easy, super everything... take a drive on a 488, then jump on a 458, then you will understand. One week back I tried a F8 on track, it was very nice and disappointing at the same time. Car does everything well, just take care of kicking the gas, but for instance you don’t even notice you are scaling up rpm and you hit on and on the limiter because of that. Zero sensations to me. Even the interior is so neutral.

And this comparing 488 to 458, imagine with a Speciale: 100 kg lighter and 40hp more powerful. Last interesting F is the Pista but aerodynamics are so much complicated, no flow lines there, no balance. Just flaps all around the car.

To end up, and this is a very personal statement, nowadays there’s not a single Ferrari that thrills me, and I’ve tried the whole Brochure. Amazing cars? All of them. But, Where’s Ferrari going? Only they have the answer to this question. Sure to better yet profitability but...

20. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I’m sensing this regularly among the Ferrari community, that the last Pininfarina gen really was something special vs post-Pininfarina cars. Was comparing an F12 and 812 side by side recently and I got it.

Avia11 likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1

22. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    458 with 9,000 rpms = heaven

23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA

+1

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I just don't get these talks about the 458 having more "soul" - whatever it means... Compared to a 488, it makes more noise and it's slower and that's it for me. For the rest it's really on the same page, very polished and easy to drive (which is not a bad thing btw, it's just the modern technology allowing efficiency without harshness - which has made the Speciale and Pista more artificial in my view).
    A 430 Scuderia (or a 360 CS) could be considered as an alternative to a 488 because it's really rawer and a different proposition, but a 458?

Dicecal and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nah. What you're sensing is that the last Pinin design and the 458 is something special mainly to the 458 cult. Generally speaking, many in the comunity have moved on to newer snd better things. Your perception of the 458 is not all encompassing, far from it in fact. The general interest for the 458 in the comunity is still on the decline and people are focusing on other cars - hence also why 458 pricing is still on the decline.
    If it's your fave, great. Enjoy it and drive the pants off of it.

wrs likes this.