456 price trends | Page 2 | FerrariChat

456 price trends

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ross, Jan 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The 456 is a retro-modern Daytona design. Red is the only color I'd have on that car. Took me 18 months to find one.

Had no idea there were only two back then (There are only two yellow ones in the US as well).

Would never own a green car of any brand (Or a brown one).

To each his own.

ross likes this.
  2. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    Low mile M GT for $95k. This car was originally listed at $145k so that’s either indicative of demand (or lack) or something wrong with the car. This more subtle red wears much nicer that Rosso Corsa for the 456/550/575 imo. My casual view/opinion is that 456M GT should trade at roughly 80% of the value of a similar spec/condition 550.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=533264981&zip=92625&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D92625%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceDESC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Dtrue%26modelCodeList%3D456MGT%26makeCodeList%3DFER%26searchRadius%3D0%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=456MGT&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FER&modelCode1=456MGT&clickType=listing

3. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    And adding to that there’s nothing I rather have than a 456 or 550 at current prices! Even if you assumed this collector car mania is done for good and you’d lose 50% of your money in 3-4 years like a normal car there’s nothing better.

paulchua likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Cheapest manual M I've seen. It looks Rosso Corsa in those pix, but it can't be. Would love to see the paint code, but I think it's what I call Dr. Pepper red. I've forgotten the correct name for it. No Daytonas and no shields, but it looks clean. A few years ago one like that sold out of CNC that they were asking $138K for. Not sure what it actually sold at.

Another thing to keep in mind, that I learned from the mechanic who did the work on my car, is that there were some tweaks to the M's from '99 to '01, primarily to the cooling. The best M's are '01-'03. There is no better red than Rosso Corsa, according to the resale market. I think there is a lot of sour grapes sentiment about Rosso Corsa on this car.

I agree there must be something amiss for this to be so low. That or the market is even softer than I thought. Only casually follow anymore, because I'd like to see one of the yellow ones come up. I figure yellow might be a hard sell, so if it was low enough, I might buy one.

It is tempting at that price. I sorted one out before, so I know exactly what to do. But it could be quite expensive. It was $35K over six years to make mine perfect.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there is a yellow on in the dupont registry link

6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Oh, I had missed that, thanks! And a manual at exactly $125K, which is what I think they're worth. I'll keep an eye on it, but the dash and seats have some pretty bad leather problems and the wheels are awful. The ask would have to come down some before I even contact the dealer, because I'd expect a litany of other things to be wrong as well. But that would be an M worth having for me. It's a shame that every manual M I've seen so far has no shields or Daytona seats, probably because they were trying to spec it cheaply. The auto was additional, IIRC.

7. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    That car is Rosso Barchetta. Was listed at $140K by Ferrari Long Island in Aug of last year. It was absolutely mint, no issues.
    Been driven about 150 miles since then.
    It's got a very rare dedication plate on the glove box door.

F11 and G. Pepper like this.
  8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    In fact, I think those photos are the ones from FoLI !!

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So, Ross, if you haven't noticed, everybody in this fan club pretty much knows most of the cars out there. I give only another 3-5 yrs and everybody will know every cars given name as well. My wife, who claims actual ownership, named her Bella. Here she is showing off at a local Nashua, NH charity car show on Main St.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Blue is so nice on these cars. Makes the shields pop.

Laserguru likes this.
  11. thphon

thphon Rookie

Oct 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Leonardo Arias
    sorry to derail the conversation for a moment but anybody knows if Ms don't have the window issue?

12. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    They do.

thphon likes this.
  13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
  14. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That is a great picture of a very pretty car!!

15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Okay, gents. For those who we can't seem to add to the other conversation thread in which my registry attempts have been chronicled, I attach the two present running versions. For those who hate Excel, sorry bout that. For those who can tolerate it, the US 456Ms v17 file is tab delineated by Model Year. Leftmost column is sequential VIN number. After that you get color, interior color, transmission, Assembly number, Engine number, mileage, shields, seats, piping, contrast stiching, steering wheel and dash color, calipers, and any sales notes I gathered over time. The second file, 6MT 456M GTs is the same data but sorted down to only the manual transmission cars. Again, ordered top to bottom by year/VIN. Also on the bottom is a recounting of the available paint colors. In order of occurence, we get Argento tied with Unknown, Titanio, Nero, TdF Blue, and then Azzuro California Met (@4.1%!!) tied with Blu Pozzi. Total silver/grey cars is 42.3% including the one Canne di Fucile and the three Ingrids. Total Black cars is 9.3% while total Blue cars is 18.5%. Across all the shades of Red, the total red cars is 9.3%. 1 Giallo, 3 Greens and we are done!

I have two things to say here. One please check the data on your car and send me corrections and further info where you see blanks (way thin on assy numbers and engine numbers). Oh, and keep a look out for the missing 16 Unknowns. I lose sleep over those poor babies. What if they are homeless??

Two, keeping this register is a clear measure of cold winter nights here in New Hampshire when Bella is hibernating and I need a car fix!!

Enjoy, and please participate. This is done as a service to the 456 community at large.

Attached Files:

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  17. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The later the model year, the lower the probability of window issues. But it doesn't go to zero. Mine is the 5th to last 456 built. I don't have window closing issues but the rear sealed windows are a bit skanky on the seal rubber on the outside. Worst thing on the car are those rear window seals. Somebody attack those with sulfuric acid or WTF??

18. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yours has great seats, a flat climate control panel and apparently no stickyness to your mirror control. No visible dash leather pulling either. Quite lovely. Did I miss something??

19. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I'll add two files; 1) Cars advertised for sale, starting in 2017, and 2) Some color stats of all M variants.

Attached Files:

paulchua likes this.
  20. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Eric, I'm reminded of the old saying about the two certainties in life - death and taxes.

The 456 adds a few more:
    Sticky bits
    Valve guides
    Window pins

To anyone who says there are some cars that never suffered those, I say it's just a matter of time....

paulchua likes this.
  21. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My valve guides are good, I'm working on the stickies, and the window pins are undoubtedly lurking....just lurking.
    Also, I need to pull my fuel pump gaskets and see if they are disintegrating. Everybody else's do.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    For your sheet if u wanna add my seat options etc

23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Il Tifoso, tantumaude and G. Pepper like this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Love those wheels

HK Mondial likes this.
  25. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name: