458 values/trends | Page 6 | FerrariChat

458 values/trends

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joe P., Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    It's controversial, Mel.

I for one tend to agree with you. I feel it's impossible to disassociate value from rarity, even in simple economics. However, just because something is rare, it isn't automatically coveted. There has to be something else associated with rarity to make up for a hefty pricetag, imho. Like most things in life, there has to be a balance between rarity and demand. The more both converge to the same point, the more value a car will have.

There also the question of knowing and defining what is rare. The very concept of "rarity" changes. Half a century ago, when most cars were mainly built by hand, 20.000 units of a given model didn't fit in the concept of "rare", quite the opposite. Nowadays, car manufacturers are able to manufacture more than a million units of any given model in one fiscal year alone, so 20.000 units overall of a given model imho is definately rare.

Anyway, I feel there isn't a definitive answer, which is why these topics are always fun and interesting to participate in!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

xfrgtr, PCJR, Melvok and 1 other person like this.
  2. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    If the market continues in this direction I may never get a 458...

Melvok likes this.
  3. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    You'll get a 458 if you want it. These will continue to depreciate and it will be quite a bit if they get miles on them and the stock market continues the way it's going . These cars are awesome and popular but I can't see them being super collectible .
    The only thing that ever stops anything from selling is the price.

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What do you mean?
    Never?
    You will...just work the things you need to work...all things are possible.
    Post pix of your beautiful 458 when you get it.
    ;)

TheDiffuser likes this.
  5. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I had a RC/tan 458 Spider in Naples and currently have a RC/tan 488 Spider. I can tell you the AC is much better in the 488 and makes the summers more bearable. If my 458 was representative of all AC units I would not get a Nero.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Save MORE :) !

Good Luck :)

7. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    I am still hunting around, deals can be had. I am looking for a higher mileage car even possibly rebuilt title in a coupe. If anyone is parting with one let me know!

8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Funny you dug up this post. Ended up with a Bianca Avus on Nero Spider, couldn’t be more pleased. I polled the audience whether not getting a Spider would be a mistake here in FL, the answer was universal (yes), and I’m super glad I did. Top down weather since December, non stop!

9. adamforpresident

May 6, 2019
    Looking at getting into a 458. Any input as to which year may be a better opportunity? Currently looking at a 2013, also have a opportunity for a 2011 and/or 2014. All within 10-15K of each other?

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    More recent cars will still have some years covered by the 7-year maintenance - you need to factor this into the price.
    Besides, just chose the car you like ;)

11. adamforpresident

May 6, 2019
    Makes sense. Only issue is that I am a solid 3.5 hours from the nearest dealer who could provide the maintenance service for the remaining contract term. Thanks again!

12. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    A number of years ago one of my medical journals looked at cars left in the sun. The question was: is there a difference in interior heat in regards to exterior color of the car.
    My recollection was that a darker color car heated up faster, but absolute max temperature was the same be it white or black.

As the owner of a spider 2013 spider, I have only used my AC a few times. Partly because I choose to only drive it when I can drop the top. Partly as I have seen too many cars at the dealer getting shrunken dashes replaced!
    Just buy the color you want and know the AC sucks!
    Best
    Randy

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    i always like to go for the earliest MY of the design I want simply because they're less expensive for the exact same car. Others will say to avoid the first MY due to any unforeseen glitches.

Ash Patel likes this.
  14. Mayrivercrab

Mayrivercrab Rookie

Jan 26, 2019
    #140 Mayrivercrab, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  15. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    asking price is one thing, sale price is quite another

some of these cars are on consignment, whereas the owner dictates the price, sometimes very inflated and after a long time on the market the owner finally lowers it to what the market dictates

Mayrivercrab and DefunctNeurons like this.
  16. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    I currently own a 458 Italia 2010, 18,000 miles. 458 Spider 2012 9,000 miles.

own two because did not want to go up to 488, or down to 430.

I just think the 458 is what a Ferrari should be . Mid engine NA V8 .

I do drive my cars at one time was averaging 800 miles a month on my Italia.

Walmart , Home Depot etc it’s a car DRIVE IT.

not bashing but so many Ferrari owners act like they are trying to get change from a penny. They can afford a 200,000$ car and worried about depreciation. Please!

o well I drive mine and drive them hard but safe. Nothing better. I also drive them in 35 degree weather, the ponies love the cold weather.

rock on

17. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA

Glad to hear this!

TomC9786 likes this.
  18. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    Just a comment ... if you store and keep your car ultra low mileage it’s possible and likely you will turn a profit as most 458’s are being used and running up mileage... this will make a small remainder valued for their preservation. However how many of you all upon your death will fondly remember your storage garages? If the answer is yes then go ahead.... remember life has no sequel, no 2.0... life passes quickly I suggest you don’t deprecate your life ... drive!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Goupy, Caeruleus11, Ianjoub and 3 others like this.
  19. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Exactly! To own and not use is not yet to truly own

20. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Seems like the 458 will stay high for a while, since the newer models are going turbo and electric hybrid.

21. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Love it! Yes and yes. 100%

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

spyder625 likes this.
  22. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    idk. if 488s drop even close to 458s it's a no brainer to go 488. the looks are awesome and the power ridiculous; just think of the hp potential by turning the boost up even slightly. I'm sure it's pretty easy to 750hp.

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id pay more for a 458 than a 488 all day, 365

24. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    wow, i love hearing this.. the 458 is amazing and the sound is perfect