My latest admirer of my 360 | FerrariChat

My latest admirer of my 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by albkid, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am getting into the Modena at my neighborhood Walgreens to leave for home. As I am settling into the seat, a 60s-ish Hispanic women approaches my open door and asks, "What car is this."
    I reply,"Its a Ferrari."
    She says, "It's very pretty."
    I thank her, of course, and she hobbles off to her car.

So, I sitting with the door still open, speechless. My thoughts drift back to the time when I solicited the opinions of my sisters about buying the Silver Bullet. Their enthusiasm, as well as my wife's hearty endorsement, provided the necessary stimulus to go forward with the purchase. I did not seek the opinion of my gearhead friends, for I felt, over confidently so, that I did not need their advice in selecting a sports car even though I was venturing into Italian land after thirty years of owning Japanese and German cars of very high capability.

That woman made my day.

If you have had a surprise admirer of your car, I would love to hear your story.

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

So im driving down the road and 2 african american older guys are next to me looking at the car. We get to a red light and the passenger , an older, seem kinda frail gentlemen about 75 maybe even 80 years old, whitish/grayish hair and beardish, waves for me to put down my window. So i put down my window and he says young man what kind of car is that. I said its a Ferrari. He said oh,,, wow,,, thats really nice. I said thank you. He looks the car over front to back and then says... Well you drive that car young man,,,, and stay safe........And i again said Thank you....When i pulled away i was like WOW that was so cool. This for some reason stuck with me. It was only 3 years ago but i ll never forget it

UrbanHero, boaz15, dhari and 2 others like this.
  3. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for sharing your story. It warms my heart.

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My wife and I came out of a Department Store to find a man, wife, and their little boy admiring the Spider. They asked if I would mind if they took some pictures. The mother told the kid to go stand by the car. I told him, "even better, get in." So he started to walk around to the passenger side, and I said, no, get in the driver seat. I got in the passenger seat, put the key in the ignition, showed him how to push the fob button, and let him start it up. When he got out his mother asked him what he thought, to which he replied, "this has been the best day of my life."

I felt exactly the same.

UrbanHero, chris0315, Oengus and 9 others like this.
  5. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am having a cheeseburger in a parking lot adjacent to a McDonalds. A young man in a CRXsi comes up to me and asks to see the Ferrari as if there existed a exclusion zone around it. I hop out and offer that he sit in the driver's seat. It was obvious that he was completely taken aback by my offer, but nevertheless, he accepted. His build was light, and I watched as he wiggled in the seat to acclimate himself to a driving position.

After he got out, he must have thanked me 3 or 4 times for allowing him the experience.

I'm old enough now that I enjoy sharing with young men my passion for automobiles.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Well last night at hooters.....

I joke. :)

Oengus and Apollo 11 like this.
  7. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    What a Great Thread!!! Love to read about those encounters! It has happened to me many times and for me this is what Ferrari ownership is all about.

8. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I live in a small town in the Suburbs of Nashville. The top was down and I was at a stoplight waiting to take a left when a woman in her 60's to my right said "that is a beautiful car. Is that a Ferrari?". I said "Thanks, yes it is a Ferrari, I'm impressed you knew that.". She asked what a Ferrari was doing in this small town and I replied "I live here, and so it lives here with me".

I ran into a co-worker at a C&C event just as I was about to get to my car to leave. He was there with his 8-year old son who he explained was really into exotics, which is why they were there. He didn't know I had a Ferrari, but when I learned his son was really into cool cars...I showed them my car...and told the little guy to jump in the drivers seat, and started the car so he could hear it running. It made the day for all of us.

As awkward as it can be sometimes...I always remember that I was "that guy" that was gawking at cars, following them on the road just to see/hear more of them. I remind myself that those people were me and what it would have meant for me for them to talk about the car or even be invited to sit in it. I did have one famous person afford me that with his newly delivered Testarossa when I was young...something I will never forget.

Mel Spillman likes this.
  9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Great thread, I always love the kids on the FOG rally. Last week I was in the hospital and today I sat in a Ferrari. Great stories like that. I was logo'd for the rally and stopped to eat a taco truck on the way out. Older hispanic guy and his adult son asked about the car and the logos. After I explained the rally and the purpose the older gentleman tear'd up saying his grandchild was a make a wish kid. She didn't make it but he really appreciated the make a wish foundation. Made my day.

dhari and Apollo 11 like this.
  10. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Love it!

11. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I could not have expressed it better.

12. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Every kid I see looking and smiling I invite to sit in it and get their photo taken, they love it.
    Kids in my neighborhood get to go for a ride on their birthday.
    I had just gotten out of my 360 and a lady walking past said "that is a gorgeous car" and so was she. I should have done something about that. Darn

MalcQV and greg328 like this.
  13. rudkinjc

rudkinjc Rookie

Apr 27, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin II
    This past Saturday my wife and I ordered take out at Texas Roadhouse. I parked right up front (handicap plate) I went in to go get the food and left my wife in the car. Now all my windows are verk dark tinted even the front so at night no one could see my wife in the car. I was inside for about 15 min waiting. She said there was about 8 people that came and took selfies with the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Apollo 11 likes this.
  14. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Sold some patio furniture on Craigslist, the couple loaded up the furniture and was about to drive away when they stopped and the women jumps back out and ask if her son could see my car. I just came back from a drive so my hood was open revealing the engine and all the nice Carbon Fiber goodies. So out comes her son from the cab in the trunk with the biggest smile, he stood in front of the engine and took pics. I let him walk around the car to check out. As they were leaving I overheard the dad tell his son, " if you study hard and get a good job you can get one of your own some day " she thanked me and said that will make her son's day.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

15. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am on my 5th exotic car and I still get just as excited when people approach me and ask about it and to take pictures. Sunday I stopped for gas on the way home from Cars and Coffee and had 2 people come up and talk to me about it, take a few pics and they commented on the color and that they had never seen a blue Ferrari before.

16. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I took my spider to the nursery recently. I was looking around and couldn’t help but look to see if anyone noticed the red Ferrari in the parking lot. A young boy with his father walked out of the nursery and the boy yelled, “Ferrari”. He was so excited. After loading their car, they walked over to check it out while another guy was looking it over. The boy asked, “Is this your car?” The guys answer, “I wish.” Then the father took pics of his son in front of the car. Glad to see that some of the younger generation are still interested in cars.

rudkinjc likes this.
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Well said. A wise F-chatter told me when I bought my F-car "We must never forget how lucky we are to own these cars." Threads like this are a good reminder to pay it forward...T

LARRYH and Beaker430 like this.
  18. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    A couple more...I stopped at the Welding shop to refill CO2 for my homebrew/kegs, and the guys noticed that "a Ferrari just drove into the parking lot". I talked with them for 15 minutes about cars and what it was like driving a car like that. Cool guys.

I stopped to fill up with gas, went inside to get a snack for my little guy, came back out to the local police checking out the car. I said "I'm not speeding...it just looks like I am". They cracked up and asked "is that the Magnum PI car?". I laughed, then talked about the models and differences. They were super cool.

19. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    I had parked at a friend’s house for just a few minutes. When I came out there was a lady and her three pre-teen kids looking at the car. When she saw me coming she exclaimed that she didn’t let them touch it. She said that all three were exotic car fans and were from a town about 50 miles away just driving around my tourist town looking for exotics. She said the kids had been run off by a Porsche and Lambo owner, but just wanted to look. I invited each kid to sit in the car. They wanted to know how I was able to get a Ferrari. Even though I didn’t graduate from high school, I gave them the stock answer – go to school and work hard. I gave each kid a 1.75” medallion coin I had made with the car embossed on it. Geez, their mom was crying when they left. When I was a kid, Corvette owners didn’t want me to get close to their car much less talk to me.

20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Well, I say lets put all those crappy lesser exotic cars to shame and show them that Ferrari really is the best...in every sense. Cheers!

Silentnoiz likes this.
  21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    What a great thread. I do like these. I have had a few like this but unfortunately it is balanced with sly remarks.
    My daily is a red Mercedes and not exactly an uncommon one but not many in red I guess. I was in Costco (basement) car park and a gent collecting trolleys commented as I opened theboot on what a great looking car it was.

I have BMW Z3 too and that has had a remarkable amount of good comments especially with the roof down. This is also red. Likewise a previous Alfa Romeo Spider (though it was IMO beautiful as Italian cars generally are). This was likened to a Ferrari on a couple of occasions too. Also.. red :D

I think it does more for us owners than the observers for sure.

Skidkid likes this.
  22. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I got a flat once and had my F430 towed to the nearest tire place which was a costco. The service guy was really excited about the car. He told me he would be real careful with it and not take any pictures. I thought this was strange that he would mention this because who cares if he takes pictures. I go inside the office and another guy starts checking me out. His phone is open and on the counter. All of a sudden he starts getting texts from the service guy who is taking selfie's in the car. It looked like he copied everyone he knew. I laughed because he made such a point to say he was not going to take pictures then ten seconds later did just that!

tomc likes this.
  23. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In any encounter I have with parents and their kids who stop to look at the Ferrari, I routinely take the opportunity to speak about the value of education. I counsel them to focus on their studies, get a trade school or college education, and avoid going into serious debt. Works all the time.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  24. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I’m at a light yesterday with my windows down... going to my band practice (I play bass guitar). My gig back is on the passenger seat...
    A lady comes next to me on my right and said. “Looks like you know how to have fun...” I reply “I sure do” and she added “I figured, you play guitar and you drive a cool car”
    Made my day

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

pilotoCS, MalcQV and Tajir Al-Ahzan like this.
  25. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    If you have a Ferrari and claim you have never gotten a compliment or photo taken I would not believe you :) What I find more amusing is when people don't notice the car especially if it is rosso corsa. The dark side to being noticed is: getting tail gated or being cut off as vehicles pull in front to get a look. Then again it par for the course.