Best exhaust for the ff | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Best exhaust for the ff

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Woppum, Feb 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

For a car of this value, just go with the tried & tested Novitec.

(I've just ordered a Novitec for my Lusso, with X-pipe. Same fit as FF.)

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why do something just to do it? I definitely agree that Novi is about as good as it gets, but if you think a manufacture like Capristo falls behind, you are dead wrong. If anyone can rival Novi and actually show an even better finish and craftsmanship than Novi, it is Capristo. Tubi does great work too, I just don't care much for the sound.

3. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    I have a Rev9 titanium system on a gen 1 R8 V10+, which has excellent build quality, welds, fitment, and sound quality with zero droning. The system has zero rust or surface corrosion on it after a few years.

By comparison, I have many Fabspeed parts including sport cats, headers, and exhaust on other vehicles, which have rusted out so badly in a few years that the pipes have completed separated into 2 separate pieces at all the weld points. I understand SS vs titanium will have different corrosion properties, but I’ve never had any SS setup disintegrate like the Fabspeed stuff. The insane amount of droning is only more salt on the wound.

If I were in the market for an exhaust for an FF, the Rev9 would be my first choice. Below is a video on the FF. I have no affiliation to them.

After trying several different exhaust brands from mid to high end, I am in the camp that believes 90% of the exhaust sound is determined by the engine setup, so all brands will sound similar. The last 10% of exhaust sound is affected by flow design, mufflers, and construction materials used. Exhaust volume can vary significantly between designs, but if comparing apples to apples of muffled vs xpipe vs straight pipe, etc. Some companies consistently make some of the best sounding exhausts for many different vehicle models that suit my ears, such as Capristo and Kline. I guess it’s up to the end user if that last 10% is worth the price difference. Good luck

chris0315, FerrariFR33458 and uberwag like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very true. Many think the sound is created in the exhaust, but fact is for these cars most of the sound comes from the design of the intake.
    There are exhausts that sound very similar, but also some that very quite a bit as they manipulate and "synthesize" the sound, such as the IPE F1. Unfortunately, that doesn't really sound like an exhaust.

The Novi and Capristo are quite similar, but still different enough to be distinguished. The Tubi is a bit of an odd one to my ears, not really a fan.

Not really versed in Fabspeed. Here in Europe most use what's local, so Crapriso, Novi and Tubi. I saw and heard the Akrapovic titanium system for the 488. Looked stellar and sounded very nice with 200 cell cats.

5. uberwag

uberwag Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Preston
    @andyrichter wow, thanks man - that is exactly the type of input that I think is really valuable for folks. I don't know that I will go the Rev9 route, but I certainly wouldn't have even considered it without your comments/feedback on the R8 system you have.

@Il Co-Pilota curious about your experience with the Tubi sound - how would you describe it? I've always liked Tubi and spent some time in a decat Tubi'd 360 that I really appreciated, but haven't heard Tubi on any V12s. Are you speaking generally, or for the FF/F12?

6. uberwag

uberwag Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Actually, one point to make: the Ferrari FF Rev9 option is 201 stainless steel and not 304, and there isn't a titanium option like on the R8. Would be corroding in no time.

7. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    My Fabspeed items are all SS 304.

8. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Here are some videos of the FF and F12 so you have an idea of what they sound like on the FF and F12.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the 360 Tubi is one of the best sounding systems for the 360, same for the 355. It's hard to describe what it is about the V12 I don't like. To me it just seems to lack some refinement somehow, but that might not even be the correct term. What we like in terms of sound is subjective, all I can say is that I prefer Capristo and Novi for the current V12 cars. To put it really crude, my ears somehow pick up a weird fart can exhaust sound I don't care for. But that's just me. Nothing against Tubi, the current V12 line of products is just not my kind of sound.

10. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I think I know what sound your talking about. If I were to further explain the difference Tubi is one of the very few aftermarket exhaust companies that aim for TUV certification because of this the delta in sound is a bit more extreme compared to other brands. To achieve this they had to sacrifice some of the top end V12 oh so sweet roar because of homologation.

11. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Does the stock exhaust with valves plugged do anything for anyone. I'm adding a FF.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What do you mean by that? Many really like the open valves.
    BTW, rather than doing a botch job on it, why not just get a controller? They are cheap and allow you to have both the stock valve operation, as well as open all the time.

13. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the vacuum powered valves are default open, so unplugging it from the valve and plugging the valve might do the trick if you want an always open system.

I agree with Co-Pilota with this one having a controller is your best safe option for what your trying to accomplish.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  14. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Guys what do I need to have a great sounding g exhaust in the car but quiet on start up so as not to wake the neighbours? Is the novitec back boxes with valves and pipes sufficient? Please can someone let me know exactly what I need so I can get it ordered? Cheers, Pete

Sent from my SM-F916B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes, a backbox and an x pipe is what you need. If you need to be considerate about neighbours, then stay far away from sport cats or test pipes. They will result in a significant increase in noise when valves are shut. You might want to look into the Tubi controller. It has a lot of cool features. Not sure if it's available for the FF. Alternatively, the Forza controller has a third mode which is fully closed. Again, check with them to see if one is available for the FF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Many thanks and this setup will sound good in the car to when valves open?
    Sent from my SM-F916B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Sean@TAG

Sean@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 25, 2015
    Yes, Novitec rear section with valves and remote (Switchtronic) as well as the X pipe would be the absolute best bet. We are are a large distributor for these items, give us a shout!

18. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33

Armytrix

-K1- likes this.
  19. uberwag

uberwag Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Been a while, just wanted to add in that I went with a Capristo rear box, with a Capristo X-pipe, and a valve controller originally. Was happy with it, but it wasn't as robust as I wanted the sound to be when wide open. I just recently added the Kline high-flow cats/downpipes, and the sound is incredible. Cold starts are loud with the valves open, but with valves closed it is pretty normal. Would not get it with un-valved exhaust or always open valves. Highly recommend the high-flow cats - if i had to do it over, might have actually started there and a valve controller. They made a world of difference. Will try to upload some videos later.

20. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the update. I’m guessing it sounds like the Kline video of the FF drifting in the snow when the valves are open? Does it get tiring on long journeys?

21. uberwag

uberwag Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Bundy likes this.
  22. dinkman

dinkman Rookie

Jul 7, 2022
    Full Name: