Fuel strainer | FerrariChat

Fuel strainer

Discussion in '308/328' started by Chrill, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    So, I was about to change my fuel filter and fuel pump when I found a black goo in the filter, so I removed the fuel pipe in the bottom of the tank out, wich the strainer should sit, and the strainer isn’t there anymore and there was a lot of goo in the bottom of the tank, took the tank out and clean it properly.
    Now to my question, the fuel strainer isn’t available any more, any one changed it and now if there is any else that would fit, I measured the fuel pipe and it is 15mm and the black plastic wich the strainer sits on the pipe is 18mm.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    "Black goo" sounds like dissolved rubber hose maybe from the filler neck or perhaps incorrect type of hose used in the links in the crossover pipe or somewhere else in the fuel system? I would be more worried about where that has come from because its not something that just appears over time.

When I took my tanks out at about 20 years old there was not a single thing in them, no dirt, no corrosion, no goo, nada.

3. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    I think it was a mixture of the old in tank filter strainer and debris, the car has sat for a long period and probably the strainer has corroded. The fuel filter has done its part, on the filter to injection side the fuel from the filter was clean, but from the other side there was a lot of black particles coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle

This is what I’m looking for:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I bought my strainer from GT Car Parts, just need to figure out best way to attach it to the brass fitting. Need some gasoline friendly epoxy.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    You just might try some flat stainless steel wire ties. They sell them at Home Depot in the electrical supply department next to the plastic ties. They have a very flat connector system. they are also excellent for exhaust and starter motor insulation wraps. Jq.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Try a search using the term "fuel sock" for some prior threads -- this issue has come up before.

8. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Not sure what has happened to the archive posts but searching for “fuel sock” on the app and through a browser results in no hits other than this current thread.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I've made a few from fine brass or stainless steel screen. Folded and soldered into a little sleeve. Tie it on with a piece of safety wire and you'll never have to look at it again.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Steve, I was searching the 308/328 forum so will expand to the whole site. Thanks, John

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    So the recommended methods for fixing the sock to the brass fitting are stainless steel wire or low profile stainless steel clamps like those used for CV boots?

13. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    One of the land rover transmission filters is close

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think there is a thread about these being in other Italian cars like Alfa etc

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I had a look on e bay uk and came up with a seller called Niche-cycle in Florida. They have a filter you might be able to use with a bit of work. Called a Petcock mesh replacement filter @$3-90. Might be worth a try

16. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    JimboMondial likes this.