Goodwood 2020 - need advice | FerrariChat

Goodwood 2020 - need advice

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by nucley, Jan 23, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    Hi,

I am planning to fly to England this year to attend FOS with couple friends. It would be our first time there so I wanted to ask for some advice.

When looking at the program and timetable, it seems to me that two day visit (Saturday, Sunday) should allow us to see pretty much everything as on the timetable the categories keep repeating. Is that correct?

What hotel / accommodation would you recommend me?
    Anything particular that is must to see when attending?

Thank you

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    If you are intending to stay near Goodwood, you may by now have little choice - most hotels in the area get booked up as soon as the dates are announced.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Be prepared to walk for miles up and down the hill and from one paddock to another and from one attraction to another

Yes the runs repeat but remember thats just a small part of the show so its better not to commit to one seating place

Its slightly quieter on the Friday so may be better than Sunday for your other day - not sure how much is on Thursday since they changed the schedule

Some manufacturers have owner hospitality eg BMW and I think Porsche - sometimes just a coffee and a viewing platform but good for a break - bring a key to be allowed in

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    are you going to the festival of speed or the revival?

either way, the location is remote in some ways so my guess is that you wont get a hotel room easily, and should look at an Air bnb.

rent a car and be prepared to walk a lot. but this is car guy nirvanna so you will be elated at all times !

if it is the revival, you should absolutely wear appropriate clothing to get the full effect.

5. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Indeed, dressing up was part of it, it was those who hadn't that stood out. I drove, parking was reasonably well sorted, but as said a lot of walking involved.

6. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    Festival of Speed

7. nucley

nucley Rookie

Dec 24, 2015
    Full Name:
    George
    Thank you for answer.
    So would you say that spending two days will be enough to see everything?

8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Mostly, although there are some things that are only on the various days. Thursday is the manufacturers day, so I usually go with ferrari that day, and the crowds are a little easier to cope with

Forza Ferrari, F1’s most successful team

nucley likes this.
  9. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    It’s a great event, but very popular. Dawn til dusk is the best rule if doing 2 days as travelling in can get very busy after 8am. Have a look around the manufacturer stands late in the day when quiet. the hillclimb is the essence of the event.

As others have said, hotel bookings already in short supply. Petworth, pullborough and the likes on the A272 are good starting point if you can find accommodation that way (hire car required)

Will you hire a car ? The routes in from north and northeast of Goodwood (through the South Downs National Park are better as there are a few country routes we can put you onto. . basically avoid the M27/A27 and the coastal towns as they feed onto the A27 and gets like a car park at times.

Only stay close for the days you are going to the event including the Sunday night. Most main roads all the way up to the M25 get bad after the hill climb finishes Saturday and Sunday

mix it up with London, Winchester or somewhere of that ilk if it’s a longer trip.

Disclaimer, we live not too far from Goodwood and leave the cars in the garage and sit outside a local pub watching the moving car show if not heading in ourselves.

nucley and daytona355 like this.
  10. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    You will never see everything. But there will be mpore than enough to keep you happy :)

nucley likes this.