No Rear Testarossa Tires Available Anymore?! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

No Rear Testarossa Tires Available Anymore?!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by sachin, Apr 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Even if someone one had a new pair (and who would sit on a pair of these and not have used them themselves by now?) they'd very likely to be too old to drive on reliably. Tires have date codes for a reason. Not to mention 1 of them would cost more than a whole set of 16" BFG's which are modern as opposed to the 80's tech TRX.
    Michelin has forced your hand. It did mine. They will never make the 280 size again. Track down a set of stock 16" wheels (ebay and fchat) and get them reconditioned if need be.
    If the rims in the link in the post above were available when I was looking I certainly would have considered those which are less costly than most of the used ones I saw that also needed reconditioning. Good luck!!

Rifledriver and Shamile like this.
  2. John frisoli

John frisoli Rookie

Jan 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    John d frisoli
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Depends -- some wheels like this are single-lug wheels and will work on a single-lug TR, but wheels like this can also be 5-lug wheels and the "single-lug" you see is just a hubcap hiding the 5 lugs.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. John frisoli

John frisoli Rookie

Jan 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    John d frisoli
    O ok so my metric wheels are only held on
    By the center locking hub not with 5 bolts
    I got it...

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    The wheel may or may not still exist. When they pull it off for you, look for a manufacturing stamp on the back of wheel....then do a google search.

Honestly, your best bet is just OEM US wheels.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. John frisoli

John frisoli Rookie

Jan 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    John d frisoli
    Yea I talked to mr fiat
    Wants $3100 for all repro wheels
    Then I need to buy tires
    O well what else can I do
    Still looking for 2 new 280/45/415 trx

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Give it up all ready. We'll cut you some slack because you're new here ;) lol

If the forum members have come to a consensus that the old tires are not readily available, take their word for it. Posting comes from a lot of hard won experience.

Take the advice and try a new solution...we all want to see you and your Testarossa back on the road in a safe fashion.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

m5shiv, Rifledriver and ago car nut like this.
  8. John frisoli

John frisoli Rookie

Jan 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    John d frisoli
    Thanks for your responses...

9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    When I bought 2 "new" TRX rears in 2014 they were 600 dollars a piece. They were also made in 2004 but Coker promised they were still good.

3100 for a full set of repros is acceptable. The tires are a little over 100ish a piece.

Jarek likes this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Doesn't sound acceptable to me.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Why not? Custom wheels can cost even more!

vincenzo likes this.
  12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Was he not talking about tires, not wheels? 512 wheels are 3500 or so but look what you are getting. Put your old wheels and tires up and modernize a little plus Mich tires so it really drives and rides much better, safer.

13. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Or spend months trying to find a set of used OEM US wheels for $2k more than repros nowadays and then quite possibly having to spend another $1k to get them reconditioned. If you want original then be prepared to spend north of $5k for wheels and tires. If spending $3.6k or so on repro wheels and tires is a point of consternation to keep a Tr on the road then a Tr is not a car for you.

14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I spent 4 years finding all four for a reasonable price. Had to repaint the fronts too.

15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I think its all part of the due diligence before purchasing. No surprises later.

Prova85 likes this.
  16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Am I missing something?

I used to see all sorts of Testarossa wheels on ebay all the time...5 lug and single bolt...cheap. Is this no longer the case?

What about ferr parts , ricambi and euro spares? This stuff used to be a dime a dozen and cheap.

Just thought I would ask for information.

Moss, he can't put the 5 lug 512 tr rims as it's a single bolt. I've never seen an adapter kit for the Testarossa...even from hill engineering.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I saw that a few posts back. Its a money undertaking to convert the single to a 5 lug so thats out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Rifledriver and Shamile like this.
  18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Reference point:
    Back in ‘99, I bought a full ebay set of perfect condition OEM 5-lug with very good tires for 800 usd.... 200 each.

That was when guys wanted to ‘update’ their car’s look for a more ‘modern’ appearance.

These days.... we’re nostalgic for Miami Vice!

Shamile likes this.
  19. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

Shamile, with Michelin no longer making the rears, those who had US OEM single bolt wheels started asking stupid money for them. 5 lugs are relatively plentiful and not as costly. When I was looking I saw a CL post for as set in LA, Cali asking $8k for a set of used single bolts. Stupid money!
    Timing is everything as they say and someone looking nowadays might get lucky and find a set easily. I doubt it though as more are getting scoffed up with time. It took me a few months and I wound up sourcing the fronts and rears from 2 different sellers.

20. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I sourced a front from Pennsylvania, another front from Redondo Beach, a rear from germany (thank god for eBay.de) and the last rear from a shop in wisconsin who sourced it from germany.

21. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    This description sums up well my search for a set. The best complete set found in good condition was $6k. One guy in Europe wanted $10k (USD). Those prices don’t include tires or installation. Unless you’re going for Classiche, they’re not worth these prices.

22. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I still want the more modern appearance. 512 wheels do the trick.

EZORED likes this.
  23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Tom Shaughnessy used to have some. I just saw him last week and he told me he had several hundred Ferrari wheels in stock. Considering he is preparing to move cross country he might make you a good deal if he has them.

EZORED and Shamile like this.
  24. vegas488

vegas488 Rookie

Aug 19, 2016
    ebay has some 18" forged testarossa wheels that look just like the metric wheels and use the center locking mechanism

you can put 18" tires on

25. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    The ebay ones look a lot like the 18" wheels I looked into a few years back which were made in South Africa. In fact, he uses a lot of the same photos. When I asked the maker in South Africa how much they weighed he stopped responding, so I took that to mean they are very heavy. I gave up and pieced together a set of 16" US wheels.

My guess is this guy on ebay living in Aspen, CO is importing some of these. Weight and quality could be risky, but admittedly they look great! Please report back if anyone gets these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FERRARI-TESTAROSSA-WHEELS-18-FORGED-1985-1986-1987-not-OEM-use-center-lock/274365393641?hash=item3fe173aae9:g:z3wAAOSw~4xevEX-