Need Help Hiring A Pro To Perform A PPI In Tri-State Area | FerrariChat

Need Help Hiring A Pro To Perform A PPI In Tri-State Area

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by FerrariBruce, Jan 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariBruce

FerrariBruce Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hi, I'm Bruce and I'm new to this forum, I have been looking for a Ferrari Mondial for sometime and think I found one that at least, looks good cosmetically. I would like to get some info on hiring a professional to do a PPI for me.
    The potential car is in the tri-state area. Any recommendations on how to find someone that can do the inspection for me in this area, what is usually checked during the PPI and what I should expect to pay for a PPI?
    I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You might also want to post in the Mondial model threads so that you well armed with info before you hire someone.

3. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Tri state can mean large area...can you narrow it down to maybe a state?

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #4 ClydeM, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    You can work with any of the standard Ferrari shops in the Area.
    If the car is from the area, consider taking it to the shop where the car has a service history.

In no particular order:
    Bradan on Long Island: https://www.bradangroup.com/
    Vinny @ Auto Elite : Tenafly http://www.auto-elite.net/Home.html
    Classic Coach: Elizabeth NJ https://www.facebook.com/ClassicCoachRepair/
    Wide World of Cars : Spring Valley NY (Just over the NJ/NY Border) https://www.wideworldferrari.com
    Ferrari of Central NJ: Edison NJ : https://www.ferrariofcentralnj.com/
    Exotic Cars: Frenchtown NJ : https://www.exoticars-usa.com/
    Ferrari of Long Island: plainview NY https://www.ferrarili.com/
    Miller Motor cars: Greenwich Conn : https://www.millermotorcars.com
    Algar Ferrari : Bryn Mawr Pa : https://algarferrari.com/
    (and others I'm sure I missed)
    You want somebody who knows Ferrari, the model, its shortfalls. The Mondial is a little older model. Search the 308/328/Mondial sections. There's recommendations there.

One person I respect here is RifleDriver. Here is a post from him on repairs, so I'd also call the shop to see about a PPI

Hi All,
    Happy thanksgiving, I was referred to Pocono Sportscar to do service on a 308.
    Any Feedback??
    Thank you
    Have a happy and healthy

Dave
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    RifleDriver: Best choice in North East.

I had one inspected at WWoC back in 2001 and one inspected by Ferrari of Long Island about 2011. I dont remember exact costs, but I recall $400-500 without a leak-down. You want a written list of what they find.
    They should inspect, have it up on a rack, test drive, and I would hope a compression check. A leak-down would probably be an extra fee.
    Call them & they'll give you a cost and tell you what's involved and what to expect. Ask them how long they need the car and if they can pick up/deliver (if required and for what fee if any)

djs308, FerrariBruce and staatsof like this.
  5. FerrariBruce

FerrariBruce Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Great advice, thank you

6. FerrariBruce

FerrariBruce Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I just spoke with he owner, New Haven, Conn.

7. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    FerrariBruce, all good info mentioned here. I'd add the following: try to find a mechanic/shop you will feel comfortable bringing the car to after purchase. There are plenty of fine authorized and independent shops to choose from, but not all will have extensive experience working on 3x8's and Mondial's. They are not difficult cars to service (relatively speaking), but best to find someone who knows them well. Ask the seller if they have service records you can look at—check for when the last engine "major" was performed (in both "time" and "mileage") and exactly what was done (ie: replacement of timing belts, bearings, pulleys, gaskets, seals, etc.) Also, specific for Mondial's: coupes and cabriolets each have some unique areas to look out for. For example, on coupes, does the sunroof (if so equipped) operate properly? On cabs, does the folding top work properly, and how about the rear windows? Yes— as recommended above, please check out the Mondial section to get up to speed on other things to look out for. Also, try to find a copy of Keith Bluemel's Ferrari V8 book as reference. Mondial's are excellent cars, in fact, highly under-rated 2+2 Ferraris! Good luck and hope it works out with the one you found!

FerrariBruce likes this.
  8. FerrariBruce

FerrariBruce Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hi All
    Thanks for all the great advice.
    I personally went to look at the car before even hiring a pro to do the pre purchase inspection for the mechanicals. Even for a novice, I found a few "fishy" things thinking I should stay away but I'm just not sure.
    - Thinking it was just a formality, I did a carfax on the car thinking nothing of it. To my surprise, It came back that it had front end damage due to a previous accident. Looking at the car, I didn't notice any front end damage but again, I'm just a novice, shade tree mechanic. I asked the owner about it and the story I was given is, the Ferrari license plates were on the guys work truck when he hit a deer causing front end damage to the guys truck but it's now reported on the carfax as damage on his Ferrari. HuH, can this be? I would think this would sound warning bells to police taking the accident report and even the guys insurance company. I never heard of such a thing. Is this possible? Even though, it sounded like stay away warning #1.
    - Next I couldn't get it started, the guy tells me it's been sitting for a number of years and the car can only be started by priming the engine, squirting gas into the engine. It runs until the primed gas is used then the engine stalls. Another scare away warning.
    - Next, the car was repainted from Ferrari maroon to Ferrari yellow. The paint looked good but with all else, I'm nervous investing any money into this exotic?
    Needless to say, when questioned, the owner was willing to sell for under 20k making this very tempting.
    Why am I even considering this???
    Any thoughts?

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  10. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    FerrariBruce, yes those are definitely red flags to be wary of. IF you are a DIY kind of owner who enjoys tinkering on the car—and doing the servicing/troubleshooting, it's one thing. However, if you aren't, it's best to buy the best example you can find and afford.

There will always be other good examples out there. Take a look here on Fchat in the classifieds, even at the ones previously sold. Some folks have actually owned several Mondial's. You never know when the next one might be put up for sale. My 3.2 was found through an Fchat thread, for a car that wasn't even officially advertised yet! If you can, try to get out to a Cars and Coffee or Ferraris and Bagels to meet with some local owners, who will be happy to give you some pointers. We have one on Sundays all year long (weather permitting), in Plainview, Long Island—organized by the FCA. It's a great, friendly group! Check out the threads for that, right here in the NY Section.

FerrariBruce likes this.
  11. FerrariBruce

FerrariBruce Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks for all the great advice
    I'll definitely be attending some of the local Long Island Ferrari events and hope to educate myself more looking for ny first dream car.
    Thanks again

12. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Bruce - Where in New York are you located?

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can spend a lot of money doing ppi's. If it were me that car would not be one I would do it on. God knows what's under the paint and I watch classic car shows and they find 60s and 70s Ferraris in barns that start. That car has too many flags and reselling it will be an issue.

Check the 348 or Mondial forum there is someone selling a nice and maintained Mondial. His name escapes me. Consider a Mondial T. That the one I would get, I love Mondials too.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. rameshsingh21

rameshsingh21 Rookie

Oct 30, 2023
    Full Name:
    Ramesh Singh
    Thanks for all the info guys. Any good places near Bedford Hills for a PPI for a 360? World Wide Ferrari quoted $1K which is more than double the other places I've have used. Is this just what to expect in New York?

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    keane's auto is right there.

rameshsingh21 likes this.
  16. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app[/QUOTE]
    Motor Classic and Competition is in that town. No clue if they do PPIs on 360s but cannot hurt to ask!

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002

Motor Classic and Competition is in that town. No clue if they do PPIs on 360s but cannot hurt to ask![/QUOTE]

Nick soprano? Def not doing a ppi for anyone unless things have drastically changed

18. rameshsingh21

rameshsingh21 Rookie

Oct 30, 2023
    Full Name:
    Ramesh Singh
    Thank you. They are actually the one selling the car.