458 - Am I looking for a unicorn? | FerrariChat

458 Am I looking for a unicorn?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Texastonka, Jan 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Does this 458 build exist?

1. Yes I've seen it

2. No way Jose!

3. It is for sale here....

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Texastonka

Texastonka Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 22, 2015
    San Antonio TX
    I've been on the hunt for a 2013 to 2015 458 coupe for the past year. It will be my first Ferrari so looking for something special getting out of the world of Vipers and Demons.
    Thought it woudl be easy but it has proven to be very difficult. Basically looking for a A+ condition 458 coupe, options I'm looking for in a perfect world are:
    Rosso corsa
    Beige tradizione OR cuoio interior (Daytona or diamond pattern electric seats)
    CF engine compartment
    CF airbox
    Scuderia shields
    CF rear diffuser
    CF rear bumper moulding
    CF sill cover
    Sport Exhaust
    Rosso Corsa or Giallo Modena calipers
    Diamond cut wheels
    Yellow Rev counter tach
    CF drivers zone + LED Steering wheel
    LED steering wheel
    Exterior sill in CF
    CF tunnel
    Dash inserts in CF
    leather or alcantara headliner (diamond style would be awesome but I've never seen it)
    Rosso stitching and/or piping
    full electric seats
    embroidered prancing horse in headrest
    red seat belts
    dedication plate
    Nav, Cruise control, electric steering column,
    Front suspension lift system
    AFS
    front & rear park sensors
    rear camera
    auto dimming mirrors and electric closing exterior mirrors
    Tire pressure and temp monitoring systems
    Hi-Fi premium sound system

Big list, a LOT of teh CF options and some strange ones like the diamond stitching but I'm sure I can't be the only one out there who would want a set up like this. This is my ideal 458. No mods, just hard loaded from factory.

Second Ferrari will be a white F12 I'm sure, but really want to start with the Red/Tan naturally aspirated V8 mid engine.

If anyone has a lead on a car like this they know is for sale let me know. If it is a unicorn pipe dream let me know too. Thanks for the comments and leads.

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    probably if you want every single one of those. my car has most of them except many of the cf options (which you can add aftermarket)

3. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Some can be added like door sill, cruise control, red seat belts. I could live without parking sensors and just have the backup camera.
    Carbon fiber bits are pricey for oem but you could use cheaper aftermarket pieces to do engine bay and the simple trim pieces.

Things I could not live without, front lifter as mine is lowered, led steering wheel, shields, and primary color. Seats are secondary some have to have race seats mine are Daytonas full electric and I have no complaints. Many long time Ferrari owners feel they are dated looking as they go back a long way and the race seat is more modern.

I think you could find a 458 with 80% on your list but you need to figure out what you can live without or can upgrade after purchase. I only had to give up stitched headrest on my list so no big concession on my part but my list wasn't as detailed as yours

Texastonka likes this.
  4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Mileage,budget?

5. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Texastonka, LightGuy, tres55 and 3 others like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    97% of what you listed is irrelevant and if that is what makes you warm and fuzzy you are missing the point of a 458, fwiw.

IloveGT, italiafan, Dewinator and 6 others like this.
  7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    The heart wants what the heart wants…
    If you feel like your wish list is non-negotiable, keep saving your ducats while you search.
    Either you will eventually find the 458-unicorn or you will have saved enough money to spec an F8 (or whatever comes next) to your wish list.
    If turbo is a dealbreaker and NA is the only way that you will go, keep looking for a red on tan example and eventually you’ll find one that checks enough boxes.
    I have diamond stitch seating in my 488 and I love it, but I have to say it’s not a common configuration.
    Good luck with the search. It’s a good problem to have.

Texastonka likes this.
  8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I agree with tt, what you want is a show piece. You are trying to build a used car (probably not going to happen), and an expensive (at sticker at least) and there is almost nothing that build has that is going to make the car a better drivers car. Have you heard Ferrari's audio systems (or ever used the nav system it stinks), CF damn I can see how it helps cars when used to build them but as decoration I don't get the attraction, serves no purpose. OP I would find a couple of dealers (I would probably call Newport Beach or the Dealer Francis from Algar went to in Florida) in places that showy cars are more common, and hopefully they can find a car that is close enough to what you are looking for. I mean no offence but you don't need almost anything on that list to enjoy driving a 458, and considering you are already thinking of your second Ferrari you don't want to pay too much for one that you are going to trade in. These are cars (machines) and what does not preform a useful function is just a waste.

tfazio likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Took me a year and a half to find the 911 I wanted. 2 years for the F-car. My list of must haves was about one-quarter of yours. If this is your dream car and they are important to you, don't compromise your dream. Alternatively, it may be useful to partition your list into must-have and would-be-nice-to-haves and then try to find a car with all the former and as many of the latter. Good luck...T

Texastonka, of2worlds and Melvok like this.
  10. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Bottom line: that car will exist in dreams only. I looked for over a year for a 458. With about a quarter of those must haves as did tomc - so there's your answer. Ended up purchasing a new Huracan last year instead. It took me a year to find the right spec'd 991.2 GT3 RS since I couldn't get an allocation. I refused to compromise as well. I've done that before and regretted it. Every time I was in the car I would be thinking about those things I wanted and didn't have. So much so, I just got rid of the car. Won't go down that road again (no pun intended).

Texastonka, rampante550 and tomc like this.
  11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I believe that the request list is unrealistic in this world. I’m sure you may find close , but no cigar. If you really want a 458 in this lifetime I would shorten the wish list. Remember tomorrow is never promised so get to driving today. Happy hunting as that’s half the fun , Kirk.

italiafan, LVP488, tomc and 2 others like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The way I see it, that's not unachievable. It might need a few changes, but other than that, it should be possible.

Look at it this way. A Rosso Corsa car with Beige interior are out there for sure, including cars with the CF LED wheels. MA Carbon can supply any and all CF trim bits the car may need. Finding what ever CF exterior parts may be missing, is not an issue either. So basically if you find a car that has the colours, the stitching, the seats and all the electrics you want, the rest can pretty easily be added. Stuff like 458 wheels are also often for sale as many change to after market wheels. In this case, why not also include 458SA diamond cut wheels.

https://www.macarbon.com/ferrari-30539/458-italia/458-interior/458-italia/458-interior

https://www.macarbon.com/ferrari-30539/458-italia/458-exterior/oya-458-7-piece-engine-bay-set-coupe-detail

https://www.macarbon.com/ferrari-30539/458-italia/458-exterior

As you can see, just about any combination is possible.

Texastonka likes this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Overall condition more important to me as long as the must haves are met such as paint, leather, seats, wheel, calipers, etc. Mileage next most important for a buyer since it drives used car price but you didn't specify miles. Keep looking and the right car will come to you when its time.

Texastonka likes this.
  14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Why limit yourself to 2013-2015 falling for the 2010-2012 BS claims? FYI the issues that the 458 suffered from was across all model years 2010-2015 you can search the forums and find that 2015's have even had DCT problems - Those problems always seem to effect low mileage cars or happen early in a cars life if they exist.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    You most probably will never find this dreamcar ! And why ? Because everybody chooses differently.

Just scan all 458's that are available and go visit the the ones most near all your wishes and drive them.

Then let your hart speak ...

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    As everyone already knows I am different. I tend to either say I'm going to buy a car and within two days (usually less) I buy the car. Or like with my 458 spider I am at a dealer (this time is was Algar) and I see a car a say hmmm I'll take it. Then again my purposes, my needs, and the way I am capable of enjoying a car is different. If like me you have died a few times (and brought back my number is 5), you tend not to waste time looking for something (though it took 52 years for me to find a woman that I liked and could tolerate my unusual ways), I'd rather enjoy it. I have watched over the years (I've been here a while), and I may have bought 100 cars while someone is still looking for one. I'm not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but you only live till your dead, so make the living part count and enjoy as much of it as possible. Personally I would walk away from a car like the one you are looking for OP, but like I said I'm different. I'd call those dealers, they are probably your best shot. Keep in mind their are a very likely other buyers looking for something similar, and the dealers I know call or send me messages about cars they think I might be interested in. I'm sure there are other customers like me at Ferrari dealers around the country. I have come to understand that people dream of things so if this is your dream than take every chance you can to make it happen.

Texastonka and Thecadster like this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Wait...brought back to life 5 times? Wow!! That deserves a separate thread entirely.

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Lets just say my life has been a bit different than most people's.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    As mentioned most of the CF interior / exterior can be added afterwards pretty easily - the only one that could be more difficult is the steering wheel with LEDs, but this one is a very common option.
    When you remove the CF requirements (apart from the steering wheel), the list is probably more or less achievable - but it may be beneficial to put some priorities (e.g. is it really worth declining the almost perfect car because it does not have red seatbelts? ... and I specified red seatbelts on my own car ;) )

20. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Took me over a year to find my perfect spec, and I had to pry it from the previous owners hands. He called me 2 weeks later asking to buy the car back.
    With patience and diligence anything is possible but yes, if you’re super picky, be prepared to wait, and to pounce when you find it.

I didn’t compromise and I’m SO glad I didn’t, I don’t have a single nit to pick with the car, ever. No “I wish I had x option”, just pure enjoyment and appreciation.

Texastonka and Thecadster like this.
  21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Compromise.
    Pick out the top four or five important things of whats important even color.

Put the word out to the top dealers.

For "normal" cars I tend not to buy colors or options.
    I buy machines.
    The one that has the best overall value ( including price ) gets the nod.

That said the special one I'm hunting for now has a certain spec that will be the best investment over time. As a small time collector I dont make the rules. Just follow them.

22. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    The longer you wait the longer you wait. Get off the bench and go drive one for an hour. 75% of your desired options will fade to nitpicky irrelevance once you can’t wipe that grin off your face.

Mileage color shields wheels led steering horse on head rest stitching and you’re good to go.

tomc likes this.
  23. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If you move the carbon fiber from mandatory to a nice-to-have, then your spec becomes quite common.

Your spec includes some carbon fiber options that were very rarely selected from factory. However, carbon fiber is easy to install aftermarket, so no reason to have that as required.

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Posts question, numerous responses, 6 days later no other posts from OP.

25. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Suffered a bout of analysis paralysis. Went back to Viper.