Recent 575 Sale | FerrariChat

Recent 575 Sale

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Auraraptor, Jan 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I keep tabs on the 575 and noted this recent BAT sale:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ferrari-575m-maranello-14/

I have also seen a shift where 550s now occupy the upper range of what used to be nominal 575 territory (~120 range for ~20k miles), with the 575 now shifted downward.

Quite a lot of car for the money.

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, a lot of car for the money. Prices for all Maranellos represent amazing value just now. 575 F1 now seems to be the entry level Maranello, 550 comes next, then 575 manual.

Tim Riley and Auraraptor like this.
  3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    There appears to be a downward trend of the special editions as well...I am starting to see 550B with asking prices just under 400 as well. I’m really curious what they actually trade for...

F456M likes this.
  4. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Very clean examples are selling in the mid 300’s.

5. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I will always have my silver rocket and just added a brembo BBK to her.

But I won’t add another.

I have all I need there.

F456M likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Seems quite logic to me. When you see Porsche 964 sell for 70.000 dollars or more both in the US and in Europe, a 12 cylinder Ferrari should be worth a lot more than that. Now when Aston Martin and Corvette offer manual transmission for the real enthusiasts, it gives a signal that it is a good thing. No modern Ferrari is availible with manual transmission. Modern Ferraris have great deprechiation and the classic style of the 550/575 as like a fine wine. You just can’t go wrong. The rare 50-ies to 70-ies V12 Ferraris seem to continue to rise in value. The amount is seriously a lot of money for a car. The 550 and 575 is in the middle of it all now. Even though the enthusiast market have gone down quite a bit, my feeling is that these cars will still continue. Look at Countach and Diablo. Even Espadas and the less known Lambos with V12 and manual fetch very good money. The Maranellos are old school but also much more drivable. Let’s hope the world will understand this.

7. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The 550 is truly “the do it all car”.

It looks the part for all occasions.

8. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    Problem is, there's way too many good cars over 100K and under 200K. If you must have a stick there's the 997 GT3, 991.2 GT3, 996 GT2, F430, 360, V12 Vantage, DBS, Corvette ZR1... and when you open u your options to sequentials there's great cars like the 458 or the F12, which is already dipping below 200k. Right now it's hard to ask 100k+ for an F1 575M when you can get a 599 for not much more or stretch the budget and get a 458, maybe soon an F12. The Maranellos are great cars but they still have the depreciation of newer cars piling up on them. As you said, they're in the middle where they're not quite a classic yet, but they're also not up to par with modern supercar performance. Eventually they will be classics and at some point more valuable than 599s, but I think we're still a few years off.

As for the air cooled 911 market, that's just ridiculous. There's deals to be had there as well in certain models but Porsche people lately seem to have shifted from drivers to collectors looking for the lowest mileage examples in the most rare color combinations just to let it sit in the garage and hopefully sell it for a profit in a few years.

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Here in Europe, it looks like most Porsche guys are driving them all the time. But the older a car become, the Harder it wlll be to maintain it as it require more work to be done every year (in most cares). I guess the is why people drive less for every year. Or they simply have too many cars to shoppe from.

At some point, these cars will be more sought after because of their elegant looks and people buy them to experience an analogue V12 manual car experience where the driver drives the car and not all the ECUs. The manual 575s + the 550s are not a lot of cars, only 6000 for 8 billion people.

someguy likes this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- Rarer than that leaving out the Barchettas and Superamericas, only 3083 plus 246 for 3 pedal Maranellos.

11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I am not entirely convinced that 8 billion people all either want a Maranello, or can afford to spend $100K+ on a car!:D

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Haha, but they can all make it If they really want. Australian bushmen for example :)

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    certainly a maximum of 3082 + 246. Unfortunately.

14. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I calculate that there are 2500 Maranellos left on the planet.
    Many got wrecked and many simply got parted out.

Is it reasonable to say that less than 20% met this fate?

I have 2. + a full spare set of running gear from at 23K mile car.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- No idea on how many got wrecked. Good numbers on how many were stolen, though.

16. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Not to start an inter-model rivalry but I far prefer the more athletic build of the 550/575 over the ponderous (if quite agile) 599

Tim Riley, F456M, Laserguru and 2 others like this.
  17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Maranello is the swan to 599's ugly duckling. I suspect it probably drives better though.

someguy and Jon Von Bon like this.
  18. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks Terry. How many were stolen?
    The 550 is the last car series that I am aware of where many were converted to parts simply because they became worth more as such.

19. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    I also prefer the 550/575 to the 599 overall, but most people go for the faster, more modern model when the cars are not yet classics. The 599 also sounds way better stock for stock. What I'm saying is that it's hard that in the next few years the 599 becomes less expensive than the F1 575

20. gstudent

gstudent Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Westlake Village
    Full Name:
    Gene
    I find all the posts quite interesting! Merit in many of them in my opinion. Owning myself a 599 HGTE and a 575 Maranello all I can say is the hell with values! Two totally different driving cars. The technology from one to the next in a few short years was amazing but the 575 driving experience just can’t be replaced and the sheer power of the 599 is amazing. I love them both and do not swear where values will go.
    Gene

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

someguy likes this.
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- None.

22. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Terry, are you saying No Marranellos were stolen? I find that hard to believe. As far as wrecked cars I know of at least a dozen, (3 of which are in Norway), (3 of members on this site) and several other that were wrecked and parted at fer parts, eurospares and Italian specialized, etc, etc... which never to return to the road.

Besides, I would say I “stole” my 550 for the price that I paid

F456M likes this.
  23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Just as a 550 is now worth more than a comparable 575F1, in due course the 550 will overtake the 599 and so too will the 575F1, but it will be some time before it happens.

F456M, dodici and someguy like this.
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- Hard to believe or not, no Maranellos were stolen in the US according to the NHTSA. What is someone going to do with a stolen Ferrari in the US? You cannot use the parts on a Chevrolet pick-up or a Honda Accord and the car is way too conspicuous.

If you have better numbers, give them to the NHTSA for their website.

Themaven likes this.
  25. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I think that threads like this are written amongst enthusiasts (inc me) who are passionate, it’s important to recall we are in a huge minority and also that ignoring values there is very limited liquidity at any price. Hence the number at auction. Slades (UK) I know well, they have had a 16,000 mile manual CDF 575 on and off the market for years at up to £225k (top of bubble period). It hasn’t sold and recently they said to me the owner is “tired of all this” what would I give for the car......

I am pretty sure £130k would secure. Nick Cartwright a stunning 355 manual, 6000 miles, for sale 2 years. £100k would secure.

No interest.

There is a very very shallow pool of demand.