Daily Driving an F12 | FerrariChat

Daily Driving an F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by hanz, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hanz

hanz Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2014
    Im thinking of getting a F12 as my primary and daily driver and wanted to know how realistic that is in terms of reliability, comfort and general hassle?

Theres one in particular im looking at which is at a great price, and to set some context (Have an SUV around but its not the intention to really use it regularly):

1.Dont regularly have passengers (and if i do not more than 1) and dont have kids (so no need for extra space)

2. Road to and from work is descent and dont really have an issue there

3. car has been pretty depreciated which is always a plus as i will put a lot of miles on it (looks like cars around have done around the 15,000 km mark)

4. Thought about Lusso but as i dont need space then though F12 is a better choice

5. The specific car im looking at has a wing that i would remove immediately, would this be a simple remove and repaint the boot procedure?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I just bought one for daily purposes as well. I will use it along with some other cars but ideally this one most often. Regarding the wing, wont it leave holes in the body? If so, I wouldn't consider it,

3. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Drive mine in a daily fashion all the time but tend to rotate cars anyway. When FF to Lusso transaction tied up those drove the F12 for three weeks.

People kept asking - why is he so happy ?

It is a great driver. Can do the town and the any errand and when the on-ramp is empty step on it. No down side. Clarkson said it and he was right.

The wing? Take it off and close the holes if any. Ask how it was done and take your offer to reflect the work needed. It’s amazing how these things can be undone.

More importantly look at the threads on the vents and check the vents for bubbling paint on the rear quarter panels. It’s amazing how it can pop up. Some believe it relates to moisture exposure as a driver might see in addition to the different materials interface. Dunno but mine was covered and it would have been 10-12k or so

While you might not need the room, a driver FF or Lusso is also helluva daily driver an I won’t dismiss outright without test driving. Amazing engine, suspension and experience.

ScottS

4. hanz

hanz Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2014
    Thanks a lot for your feeback guys, and also for the heads up on the piant bubbling issue @ScottS. Gonna check out the car within the next couple of days and hopefully will have a new stable mate soon :)

5. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    You are buying the right color for a dd. IT will be awesome. Someone will probably buy the wing off you on the forum so don’t destroy it

hanz likes this.
  6. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    The car is definitely comfortable enough to use as a daily driver, no question. My 812 is effectively my daily although I don't drive every day.

7. hanz

hanz Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2014
    Got over the mental hurdle of the daily driving part, now to find the right one :)

8. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Doing the same thing, just traded my Pista for an f12, which I will drive as my primary car.

9. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I put 5500 miles on my F12 in 2018 and about the same on my 812 in the last year. The 812 always drives amazingly in the rain. It's insane how good it is in the wet.

MB224 likes this.
  10. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly why it should be destroyed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pesto, Adamas and hanz like this.
  11. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Hanz: I daily drive my F12 and find it to be both practical and a delight. It makes my daily commute that much more enjoyable. I think you will find it to be the same.

Pis7a2020 and hanz like this.
  12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    That seems like a downward step? What was your reasoning?

13. hanz

hanz Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2014
    Im sure it does, will completely change all those mundane drives into something so much more!!

14. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I have a challenge car, as well as other race cars that are track only. The PIsta isn’t a real track car for me (no cage, fire system or slicks) and on the street it’s loud, hard and comfortable for only short drives. I’ve come to the conclusion I want a gt type car for the road. The f12 to me represents the sweet spot in terms of value (already 50% depreciated) and I intend to rack up 10k miles a year. By the time I am ready to trade it in, the 812 will probably be nicely depreciated.

the front engined v12’s are so good, but the depreciation makes them a tough choice for a daily. By staying one model behind, I get to enjoy one as a “practical” daily driver

cheers,

Ron

tekaefixe, ZF123, MDEL and 5 others like this.
  15. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    not that I would have experience to DD an F12, but I'm getting a FF for the same profile. I spoke to owners of F12, feedback was its not a GT. Of course, there are people that DD a Scud so it all depends where you come from. However, DD means for me, gym, grocery, kid in the back or even the bike. Even if you take bike and kid of the list, I would still find a F12 to impractical. If it would be more of a GT I may would go for it but in that case I would much rather DD a 458 which I believe makes more fun and is like half the costs.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Whatever you do, make sure you have the appropriate tires for your conditions. The F12 likes to go sideways and with cold tires and asphalt you better be very careful.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Very wise approach.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I put nearly 16K miles on my titanio F12. Beautiful driving car and in gray was easy to use for mundane tasks, often went unnoticed.

MDEL, WilliamB and Alexcle like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I put about 22'000 miles on my first F12 and enjoyed every single one.
    Same happens with my second F12 which I have driven so far for about 7'000 miles.
    Ferraris are meant to be driven.

Marcel Massini

MB224, -K1-, tekaefixe and 9 others like this.
  20. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Marcel, how come you didn’t just keep driving your 1st f12 and got another? Accident?

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not at all.
    I kept the first one for 3 years. It was Blu Pozzi.
    Then bought another brand new one, Verde Seabird one-off tailor made historic color (deep green), one of the very last F12's built. Got that 4 September 2017. Still have it.

Marcel Massini

MDEL, roma1280, Alexcle and 2 others like this.
  22. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA

My Goal is to put on 40-50k miles on this car in the next 3 years.....

23. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
  24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  25. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior