IMSA 2020 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

IMSA 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Keep in mind that Park Place and Compass are doing the sprint rounds only. I think there is another P2 car coming later in the year as well.

MPC has 49 cars for Daytona. I think that is more than last year but don't quote me on that.

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Raise your hand if you are surprised Rick Ware Racing isn't going to make the Daytona 24. When they announced they were going to run the Riley Multimatic P2 it never sounded like it was going to be a successful program.

3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Hard to imagine isn't it? Why anyone would even contemplate such a thing I mean.

4. #54 lorenzobandini, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    49 started last year. 41 the year before. 2017 - 38.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Apparently they didn't have any spare tail pieces for the car. So when they crashed at the Roar they couldn't fix the car, since all the spare bodywork Multimatic brought was for Mazda.

The story I saw the other day said that they may try to run an Audi R8 in GTD instead. Most teams switched from Audi to other manufacturers due to lack of support. RWR doesn't seem to be making the best decisions when it comes to choosing what cars they want to run.

6. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I know there are people here involved in racing. Are any involved in current GT3? If so can you shed some light in to the dramatic increase in costs to run a GT3 car please? If anyone reads or listens to Marshall Pruett, he has mentioned many times over the last couple of months how a full season in GTD (GT3 class in IMSA WeatherTech) have risen from approx $1m to $3m. I just can't get my head around it. I've even asked him the question on his podcast and I still don't get it.

7. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EO_c3vAWsAAQigF?format=jpg&name=large

The presidents of both IMSA and ACO will be holding a press conference at the track on Friday.

Per Sportscar (https://sportscar365.com/features/imsa-aco-set-for-convergence-announcement/)...

8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Well IMSA handed down some BOP to Ferrari and Porsche....Porsche didn’t have to change much and their Quali for the Daytona 24hrs proved it...on the other end Ferrari Risi was hit hard with BOP with adding weight, changing fuel leve in tank, and cutting power with small intake plates...thus from the Roar and latest practice Ferrari Risi 488 is last in Quali.

9. Interceptor

Interceptor Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    I hate this bop system.
    Why is Ferrari always punished? Because Ferrari is the best? Porsche lobby?

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think Risi makes it hard on themselves. IMSA only has so much data to go on for their car. It also shouldn't be that surprising they got hit by BoP. 2nd at last years Daytona 24, won Petit Le Mans, and they were fastest at the Roar.

11. Interceptor

Interceptor Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    Not fair, punish a true team. No real balance, hate this rules. :(

12. #62 lorenzobandini, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Spectators, sponsors, and Mfrs. want "real" (orchestrated close) racing and that's what we've got ('been happening in all series for years now). It's not real racing anymore, it's just a show; a mobile sponsor/car show.
    No longer competition to see who's best, just a major advertising campaign with the different series being the different advertising agencies. :(

william and Gator like this.
  13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Porsche fought BOP a few years ago...they were hit hard and were not as competitive. Took a new car and playing the game to turn it around. Porsche is full time and got to work. Risi o. The other hand is smaller, not exactly a factory team and has done well with the 488, winning Petit LeMans and running really strong at The Roar.

I’m both a big Porsche and Ferrari fan, and was super excited to see Risi Ferrari back in top and running with Porsche. As of right now I am NOT HAPPY with Ferrari qualifying last...I wanted to see them up with Porsche. However it’s a 24hr endurance race so they is plenty of time for attrition, wrecks and all. Hopefully Risi Ferrari can stay clean and move up and race up front at the end.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    With two hours to go, Risi is still on the lead lap in GTLM, so there's still a chance. I'd still like to see Ferrari provide just enough funding for two cars to run the full season, or at least two cars in all the endurance races. Risi deserves a lot of credit for going it alone but it must be frustrating.

Isobel likes this.
  15. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest
    Right rear tire blew up.... and they're out. :(

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    They end the coverage an hour before the finish?

EDIT: Ok, I found it on the big peacock. It would have been nice if they’d announced that.

jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Cadillac wins.........awesome!

Jeffg11 likes this.
  18. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The checkered flag has flown. The Corvette team crossed the IMSA Rolex 24 finish line with No. 3 at P4 and No. 4 at P7.

19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    They did ;)

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I backtracked to the last segment before they switched coverage and didn’t notice any mention of moving to nbc.

21. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If BOP means handicap racing, they should just say so.
    This obsession to make all cars equal is laughable.
    I am even surprised that manufacturers spend lots of money building and developing cars, to be punished for their effort by BOP.

Handicap racing was copied from horse racing early last century.
    It was very popular in Europe up to WWII (Brooklands, Monthlery, etc ...) allowing cars of different sizes to compete together.
    Rallying had handicap up to the 60s, based on cubic capacity; and nobody was complaining .
    An example was the Monte Carlo Rally won several years by the Austin Mini Cooper, when in fact the fastest times were set by Porsche or Ford Falcon Sprint.

22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I cannot see why both the ACO and IMSA want to go in that direction.
    Instead of creating a new generation of expensive prototypes, why not make GT the main category?
    At present, GTs, like GTLM, GTE, GTD or even GT3 are restricted and limited in power to around 450/500 bhp.
    Why not allow them to unleash all that power and let them race ?
    A Ferrari 488 could easily find another 200 to 300 bhp, and the same for other cars.
    This is the age of turbo, and a Porsche GT2 could easily reach 900 bhp.
    Lap times would go down, and racing get better without expensive prototypes that look all the same.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree.

IMO, the class structure should be:

top overall class is current P2 cars, unrestricted (so 700+ bhp)
    amateur prototype is current P3 cars
    top GT class is GT3, all pro lineups, more free BoP (700+ bhp), no TC/stability control
    amateur GT is current GT3 cars

would be (relatively) cost effective and make for some great racing.

24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I agree with you except on the LMP3 piece. There isn't a huge difference in lap times between the current P3 and GT3 cars. The other piece I would add for all pro GT3 is to have different restrictions for road car homoligation so that companies like Glickenhaus can come run as well.

25. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IIRC, LMP3 is roughly in line lap time wise with GTE/GTLM. you could add a little downforce and/or horsepower to gain a bigger gap