488 Pista Values | Page 10 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Values

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by customryder, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I have seen the black Algar Pista in person. Externally, that car looks razor sharp. Able and willing - and mean AF! :cool:

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apparently beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think that rig is gorgeous as it sits , calipers and all. Best ,Kirk.

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I figured you would like that one.

Cigarzman likes this.
  4. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    These value threads are annoying, all the same. Bunch of folks subconsciously justifying why they dont have what someone else does have. "Oh Pistas are gonna sink, good thing I didnt..." when you couldnt, or wouldnt, in the first place.

Pistas are killer cars. Fact is most people driving one couldnt care less about $10k here or $50k there, instead while you are counting their money, they are enjoying their Pistas. Of the Pista owners I know, most love the car. Those that dont arent on a messageboard arguing about values, they are back at the dealer consigning the car with 500 miles and getting a Speciale, 458, F12, or 812.

I get it, its somewhat interesting to discuss at first, but these threads going on for pages and pages with nothing but speculation and haters vs supporters...gets old. Just enjoy what you have and let others enjoy what they have.

chrixxx, D11, roma1280 and 12 others like this.
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Lol. That one is right up my alley. If I wanted a Pista that one had my name on it. I’m only a convertible guy who can’t afford or get a Pista convertible. First world problems. I’ll have to settle for a Nero F8 Spider. Oh well ......

LARRYH, of2worlds and wrs like this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    couldn’t have said it better myself. I’ll tell you as a Pista owner I don’t give a rats ass what the cars are selling for on the secondary market.

chrixxx, D11, Ash Patel and 6 others like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's interesting seeing the comments about the black Pista, and how it's perceived as a bit "dull". I think it's pretty good actually. I would say it might have been even better with Oro stripes to match gold wheels or the like, but I think it's pretty cool. When talking about uninteresting cars, I can't help but thinking why it's said about a car that looks different than many others and shows off the lines well, but everybody is praising a Rosso Corsa car with a tan interior as something special. Not trying to upset anybody, but I think it's worth thinking about what we define as dull or boring. I personally can't think of anything much more bland and regular than a Rosso Corsa/Tan car with yellow calipers. Iconic yes, but also the most common combo. That black car is a bit different, I like it:)

Ash Patel, wrs and Avia11 like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You could get stripes on it as part of a PPF if you want to spice it up a bit like the Pista etc. Would look sharp with a F430 16M style stripe on it.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    i agree with you. I like the black car. My only issue is the minor tweaks that could have been done to make it spectacular. Match the wheels to the stripe to the interior etc etc. subtle things that take a good design and make it great

Caeruleus11, Jo Sta7 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is not only the case with value,this is also sometimes the basis of debating and justifying not upgrading and keeping the outgoing model. You could easily substitute "Oh Pistas are gonna sink, good thing I didn't..." with "Oh I'll keep my (insert named of outgoing model here) because the new model is worse and not as pretty as my car". But enjoying Ferrari and the cars is what it's all about:)

11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I find them interesting. I am on my fourth Ferrari in four years and I find it helpful to follow the valuations on the different cars. I have a new 812 on order with hopes of getting a GTS so what happens with the Pista is instructive as to what will happen with the GTS. It may well not be worth it to me to take the allocation if it's offered (and I have been told it will be). There are people that simply don't care how much they drop on these cars but some of us want them and do care how much we drop on them so these threads are helpful to us.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    ... or "I'm the smartest guy on earth because I bought a Pista - and all the market evidences showing my Pista is not the investment that will make Warren Buffett sorry for being such a lousy investor compared to me are because these Pista are crap spec :D "

13. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #238 soulsea, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    I mean it sounds good to say it on a forum and get lots of folks to agree with you, but that's actually a fallacious premise ... not only 'most' can mean anything greater 50.00000001%, but it's just an assumption, likely extrapolated from one's own circumstances or from a random presumption that people of means aren't value conscious, as if the way they got those means (other than lottery, inheritance, or gift) is by taking loses on every transaction. My assumption would be that actually most people don't have actually have FU money, do care to varying degrees about making sound financial decisions even when it comes to their toys, and quite frankly like myself, would prefer not to set money on fire if they can avoid even if they have enough of it.

Personally I'm happy to concede that as I rotate cars very frequently, and although I have the means to buy a Pista (didn't because reasons that I don't feel I need to justify, but by all means feel free to presume them), one of the things that most assuredly would compromise those means is completely disregarding prices. So I apologize for being that poor and after this post I'll try to stop expressing myself. But for now, and until one of you ballers adopt me, I like to have a grasp of where high priced car values are for models that I am considering that way I can make a relatively informed decision on whether my desire for x car is higher than the likely hit I am going to take on it. So it's not like I'm treating them as investments, I just want to understand if the loss is worth it to me and proceed accordingly.

Truth is that most people filter opinions through their personal bias, in this case one side of the coin because they want to justify their purchase, the other side to justify their lack of purchase. Some as you said express an opinion on things they themselves can't afford, but that doesn't mean their opinion is wrong, on a forum no one knows what and who is truly behind every post. One thing is for sure, when people question other people's motives over the the substance of the argument, then they are as, if not more guilty of false/disingenuous reasoning as those they accuse.

I too dislike value threads, not because I don't care about value but mostly because at the end of the day the market will do what it will do no matter what anyone wishes it to do for whatever the reason they wish it, and my dislike is based that they always biased opinions and distorted data. But there are people who for a multitude of reasons like to follow the market, to marginalize them through false generalizations says more about the person who's doing the generalizing than those they marginalize. If there's an opposing argument to be made let it be made and let it stand on its merits, another person's motivation then becomes moot.

One last thing (not directed at the above poster), the opposite of caring is indifference, someone taking the time to tell strangers that they don't care isn't indifference and a sure indication that they do care ... not saying they care a lot, but they care enough to declare to others that they don't, and to assume that others care about whether they care or not lol. :)

-------------------------------------------------

On topic ... I predicted long ago that the Pista market would go the same way of the GT2RS market. That isn't terrible by the way as with the correct spec and low mileage they were trading close to msrp for quite some time and still dribbling down, so only those who paid a premium suffered bit at msrp you're probably still fine. It looks like they are building as many if not more Pistas and that's why they will likely go in the same value arc. That said it is now well documented that there is too many models in this segment, this at a time that people are pulling back in the modern supercar purchase market. And Porsche didn't introduce a 2RS light five minutes later. Again, none of this is that significant unless one paid a premium for their car or lost $100k on a Lusso to get the Pista hoping that they could make some of it back

If you have one of these epic cars and were in it for the flip, that ship has sailed, If you bought one and thought you could drive it for free for a while then sell it, that door is closing fast and it's about to get super crowded. Either way, at this point you might as well enjoy it and get some satisfaction that at least you didn't buy a 720S at sticker. :)

anishka, Reiziger, BarryK and 6 others like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think anybody who bought a Pista as an investment bought that car for the wrong reason. I doubt very much that most here did so. I haven't met a single Pista owner who thought he made a clever financial decision. Will the Pista retain better value than a regular 488? Of course, and so what? Drive it and enjoy it. Is is smart to buy a Pista? Hell yes, because it would be dumb turning down such an awesome machine given the chance:D

LARRYH, D11, dmark1 and 6 others like this.
  15. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    It all boils down to what makes you happy. If driving a certain make/model ie Pista makes you feel good then do it. Who the F*ck cares! We are all big boys and can do what we want with our money. Everyone who bought a Pista knew what were getting and for the most part, we're all happy we get to drive it irrespective of depreciation or appreciation of the car.

I just returned from picking up my Pista from the detailer and had an awesome 40 min drive back with my son and enjoying the car which is priceless.

I drive my Ferraris and Bentley to work daily and after we merged with another group, one of the other group's partner came up to me and said "you know Tom (junior partner from the other group) doesn't like you driving your cars and he makes alot of comments to the rest of us about it." I replied by saying. "That's okay, he'll get over it. I'm not here to make him happy. As long as I take care of my family and we're happy with whatever we do is our concern, not his."

To each his own.

LARRYH, D11, Glenn Quagmire and 8 others like this.
  16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Tom has some balls, huh.....

D11, junc and Thecadster like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Personally, I will never pay above MSRP for any new car. That’s just me.

Akram, D11 and Boomhauer like this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and yet the same dealer had a low mileage grigio titanio F12 tdF with a solid black leather interior for sale previously. It to was criticized here for being 'bland' but maybe that what goes in that market compared to say Miami or LA.

black with gold wheels and gold stripes has that 'Lotus' connotation...:D

jim g and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #244 IloveGT, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    I would tell Tom to shut up and put the time from gossiping like a little woman to work harder. Then one day he could drive the same car you do. I will just park the Pista next to Tom, and rotate cars everyday in the same spot.

By the way, who is that dumb to buy Ferrari for investment in 2020? Don't have the time to go through 10 pages of mumbo jumbo.

On the other hand, since Ferrari is following the business of McL pumping so many cars in short period of time, these kinds of valuation threads may actually be helpful to those wanting to buy a car. I can see how that could be potentially helpful to some new buyers. Not for investment though. God no.

I say just buy the car at the price you can afford to without worrying about the resale, and balance it with how much joy from driving you can have in life. Or like me, just hypnotize myself whenever new itch comes, look into the mirror and say no you don't need another car in 6 months.

Xrayv8 and jim g like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm actually interested in why Tom is upset in the first place. Weird people are interesting to study.

D11 and tomc like this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    That’s crazy. What kind of group is it?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Oh boy. The amount of jokes you just liked up right there...:D

23. You have lots of people to study on this forum.

LVP488 and jim g like this.
  24. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Saw a black Pista with no stripe and no exterior CF. It was ordered by the owner of a black Enzo. The Pista definitely would not catch your eye unless you knew what you were looking at. The Enzo...it’s amazing. Both cars awaiting transport to their home.

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Kirk, let me know when you're ready to pull the trigger, we can do a two-fer. Since the white 458, I've seen so many different color F-cars, many of which I'd never considered until seeing them in person. A nicely spec'ed black on cuoio F8 spider - now we're talking!

I've promised jokingly (at least that's how it started) my brother-in-law my 458 for his years of service working my businesses. Unfortunately, he wants early delivery.......