2012 458 Spider Arrived | FerrariChat

2012 458 Spider Arrived

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Live2win, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Car arrived yesterday from Chicago covered transport. Certainly has a different rear end appearance compared to my Italia.

only issue it has a soft feeling brake pedal. You apply the brake the pedal goes soft , push a second time very firm.

CPO on car , of course dealer said check out fine. So from loading it in truck to unloading it it developed a soft brake pedal!

o well I guess that it why you own two. In the shop it goes.

any thoughts appreciated
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    First, congrats.
    Second, having had an Italia and a spider, never had a soft brake pedal.
    Hope it is something simple.
    Best

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Sounds like air in the brake lines, an easy fix. I have had that happen on a lot of my cars especially the ones not driven often. Dealers tend not to look for stuff like that. Enjoy it

4. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Yes it does but how did air enter the system. Car was just CPO, and delivered in an enclosed carrier.

Possible leak master brake cylinder.

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Beautiful. The sound with the top down is incredible.

6. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Previous owner had exhaust baffles wire tied open. For a daily driver to loud.

Need to access exhaust and cut wire tie.

7. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I highly recommend putting in a valve controller instead.
    The stock set up is actually annoying in race or "higher" mode. Meaning you get an on/off "WAH-ERR-WAH-ERR sound above 3000 RPM. With the valve switch you can eliminate this by keeping it open when driving in a spirited fashion. Or you can revert to the stock function - that you want at other times - with the push of a button.
    I highly recommend the Forza controller over the Capristo unit for several reasons. First, It costs 1/2 as much. More importantly, it can be programmed from the manufacturer (Steve Bissel at Forza) to have the default position open OR closed. Capristo requires you to activate switch on every start up.

Best

8. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I have the Capristo and you do not have to activate it every time, if you hold down 2 buttons it will remember the position you are in (open or closed) and start up in that mode every time until you change it.

cole328 likes this.
  9. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Mine does the same thing with the brake pedal but I wouldn't call it soft just normal. If I press the brake pedal twice one will be normal the second will feel stiff and a short push, it only happens when I'm stopped not while driving.

10. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Interesting my Italia has a very short brake distance, spider kind of soft Then firm second time around.

will have Ferrari pick up let them verify no air as fluids were just changed

11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Not true-With Capristo if you push Sport & Cruise Simultaneously prior to shut down the selection you selected will remain for the next startup. Personally I do not like starting in Sport on startup & do not use it until I've driven a few miles. The Forza unit is a bit bigger & cheaper. Not an expert on quality, but Capristo is quality esp. for exhaust related items.

12. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Congrats! Two 458, nice!

13. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Not a tech guy, but reattached the vacuum lines to the exhaust today , so the baffles are now working.

removed diffuser, and found the two black vacuum lines, that the previous owner had put screws in so the vacuum lines were disabled. Which meant baffles were wide open . Again not a tech guy.

I reattached vacuum lines, wired tied , now the sound is IMO, so much better. If I want a screaming 458 just run engine around 4000 rpms .

total time 20 minutes.

14. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
  15. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I bet it sounds amazing with the top down.