212 MPH IN A PISTA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

212 MPH IN A PISTA

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I’ve never been able to hit that in my 2RS. I guess I need a longer straight ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Borrow’d Mine likes this.
  2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Most awesome review...I read every word, just ask my wife who kept trying to talk to me...lol

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    From the Ferrari website, top speed for Pista is greater than 211. Spoken differently, a stock Pista all out should exceed 211 mph.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  4. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words. I suppose that if my post has relieved the boredom of another day at the office, or maybe even inspired enthusiasm for the great hobby we all enjoy, I’m happy to hear it.

To answer a few questions:

Q: What timing system was used?

A: Tag Heuer Professional (Olympic Skiing, Indy 500, etc.)

Q: Could the Pista have gone faster than 212.6 mph?

A: Yes, I think so. Launch (PS) would almost certainly have improved my time. Letting the computer do the shifting may have helped also. However, if you run the math on final gear ratio and max rpm of the Pista, it appears the rev limited top speed is 215 mph. So, one experimental run at 2.7 miles with a rounded result of 213 mph is not too shabby.

Q: How did it feel at 212?
    A: Stable and safe. I certainly did not detect any aeodynamic lift, which is a no-brainer, given that the S-duct and the pronounced rear spoiler increase downforce signifantly. In my mind, this makes the Pista all the more special: its not really designed for all out, straight line speed; lower speed track use is its forte. That the incredible Turbo Ferrari V8 can push it to these speeds is all the more testament to its engineering. I’ m sure that a derivation of the Pista, using the stock Pista engine, would run a much higher speed if Ferrari wanted to design a body and gear ratio for that purpose.

Q: Would folding in the mirrors make the car go faster?
    A: Unkonwn. Aero stuff is a black art. Lots of the guys will remove mirrors for all out speed attempts. Folding them in may or may not have helped.

• One other observation: Top speed runs are impacted quite profoundly by ambient conditons; air temp, altitude, wind speed, wind direction, air density, etc. Some days are super helpful to big speeds, some are not. Thus, its quite difficult to makes valid comparisons from car to car as to top speed. I’ve seen wind speed and direction take 10mph off a run were all other conditons were about equal. My take-away from the event was that Ferrari built a gem of car in the Pista, and its top speed, on that particular day, with this particular driver, was cause for some very nerdy celebration. Just call me Walter Mitty :)

5. Ced357

Ced357 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Parkland FL
    I was there and believe the owner said the car had a tune and down pipes. Still an amazing feat with that giant wing.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    oh I didn’t know that. Thank you for the info.

7. redsled

redsled Rookie

Jan 6, 2013
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very cool, and even well-written!

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thank you for this write up.
    made my day

9. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    Have you been to Bonneville Speed Week yet?

10. Leko

Leko Rookie

May 19, 2018
    Frederick, MD
    Full Name:
    Craig Bare
    Nice post mate. Cheers!

11. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My wife and I were in a new NSX one morning, on a ruler straight road on the NC Outer Banks. The macadam was utterly smooth. A NC trooper in the opposite lane approached and passed us without incident. After he was a dot in the rear view mirror, I said, "Here we go," and the accelerator went to the floor. As the vehicle increased in speed, we both felt the car hunker down as the effects of the aerodynamics came into play. Cool, very cool.

At about 140 mph, I gave in to sanity and lifted, even though we were not at the vehicle limit.

It's a story I love to tell, generally over some beers at a backyard event. Most folks don 't believe we got to that speed, but my wife and I know the truth.

I would not risk such a thing today, but I have the memory and its PRICELESS.

Congratulations to the OP on breaking 200mph.

12. Frank Bellrose

Aug 3, 2019
    Ouray CO
    Full Name:
    Frank Bellrose

13. Frank Bellrose

Aug 3, 2019
    Ouray CO
    Full Name:
    Frank Bellrose
    Sometimes you can reach top end and not know it, believe it or not. In 1976, after rebuilding the engine (timing chain issue) in my Dino 206 (s/n 00364), I took the car out for a test drive. It was lightly raining at the time, but I was enjoying the performance of nicely tuned Webers, when I noticed that the wiper blade arms had lifted off the windscreen. That is when I looked at the speedometer and multiplied the kmh reading by 0.6. I was at top speed, over 140 mph, and did not realize it. The Dino was one fine, well balanced car.

14. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Amazing post, and congrats on the result! Let us know when the adrenaline wears off... ;)

15. SamRo

SamRo Rookie

Dec 17, 2018
    Enjoyed this, thank you. Not sure I am brave enough but very cool to hear about it!

16. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Great story, thank you! ;)

17. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    What a fun story! Thanks for sharing it.

How much did the event cost and how do I register for the next one? If you don’t wanna make that public you can pm me.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just curious what tire pressures you were running and what were they after the run.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You need more room than your driveway. :)

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  20. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Top Notch writeup.

21. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow, awesome write up!

22. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    tekaefixe, Boomhauer and Jo Sta7 like this.
  23. PT-Aus

PT-Aus Rookie

Jan 18, 2019
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul Tee
    A great achievement and terrific write up, thanks for sharing.

24. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Never mind found the info.

25. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Hahahahahahahah!