Smoke test headers. | FerrariChat

Smoke test headers.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Danedingerson, Jan 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I am told you can do a smoke test on the headers by taping a shop vac in reverse to the tail pipe. You light a piece of cardboard ,blow it out ,and hold it by the air inlet of the vac . Definite test for header cracks, easy to do every few months. Anyone tried this?

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    May have to block the intake snorkel if you have intake and exhaust valves open on the same cylinder (not sure if there is overlap on these motors). I don't know if the cardboard will make thick enough smoke. I own a smoke machine.

3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    The smoke machine is the way to go. Finding leaks....especially small leaks takes time and you do need the type of smoke that smoke machines generate which is easy to see. That said....I would like to see a YouTube video of someone trying to use a shopvac and burning cardboard.o_O

one4torque likes this.
  4. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Lets say 98% dont have a smoke machine ,like the two ferrari dealers I had do PPI s. who couldnt smoke it for me. Should owners just skip this and settle for looking at the headers instead?

5. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Depends on the age of the car and how many miles are on it. It would seem that the Ferrari dealers you are talking about are choosing not to test the headers. Hard to imagine that a Ferrari dealer doesn't have one. The one I bought cost $500 but I use it for HVAC work as well.

You can buy this version which will work for checking headers ($114):

https://www.amazon.com/AutoLine-Pro-Automotive-Detector-Diagnostic/dp/B07JVT1NG2/ref=pd_sbs_263_t_0/130-5599383-3809825?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07JVT1NG2&pd_rd_r=a9300cf2-d038-40b6-a87e-db8a759ab995&pd_rd_w=29MEq&pd_rd_wg=N2P01&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=2QDKB9QTA66MS2CWPHX3&psc=1&refRID=2QDKB9QTA66MS2CWPHX3

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    A smoke test is part of the annual service that I do for my customers. It's probably one of the more important tests to perform when evaluating a car with known header problems. Even using a smoke machine it isn't always easy to see leaks.

Attached Files: