FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I guess the point of putting a warranty on their own ex-track cars is that Ferrari did ‘the damage’ and they bear ‘the cost’ so it’s a wash. If you do ‘the damage’ by tracking it then they want you to bear ‘the cost’ as well so it remains a wash...
    The logic is consistent.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Lots of folks track their non PTU Ferraris hard and regularly and don't have transmission or other major system failures. Now that we know about the reasons for the warranty cancellation (slimy, but common with many brands) let's not get OT.

3. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Thankfully I had the dealer throw in the warranty when I purchased the car last October. Problem is the car has been at the dealer too many times in the 3 months I have owned it. Seat switch 3 weeks, engine misfire a week. Catalytic lights plus check engine, week. I can't imagine this will be a week so we will probably hit 50% downtime after this service. Very Frustrated

4. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Well I must be #4 at miller. Jac

Guilhermerossi1990 likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ask them how many theyve seen

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i gave up on the seat switch if ur referring to when it says the ventilation is on even though its not. engine misfire seems odd - fouled plug? cat lights ive never had. i have 34k miles. how many do you have? there are def periods where it gets hung up

7. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    I’m sorry to hear that. I haven’t had any other real issue other than the PTU. The catalyst light will come on if any of the sensors for the air filter box is unplugged or not plugged correctly, so you should not have a big issue there. The check engine might be on due the misfire. Haven’t had a misfire yet.

8. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Nope my issue was under medium acceleration plus the drivers seat base would move all the way back by itself. Plus the missed diagnosis on the seat probably cost me the 1 week with the cat / check engine as the switch was draining the battery 24/7. I love the car hopefully they can sort it out. Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Ok forgot 17k

10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The cat temp not plausible warning could be anything. I had that error and it turned out that the cause was a blown ECU for the fuel pumps.

Guilhermerossi1990 likes this.
  11. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Yeah, that’s a general error for multiple things.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what were your symptoms for ptu? did you ask them how many theyve had to replace?

13. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    It essentially died in the middle of the road 2x. Engine running no forward movement. Or 3mph max. After x2 I said pick it up they did. I didnt speak to Miller beyond their diagnosis last week.

14. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I spoke to Miller again. Absolutely more than 4. The gist of the conversation was don't panic. Not prevalent but.... not uncommon either. Get the power warranty. By the way in my case parts are being replaced not the whole ptu. This is good as replacing sensors etc is way cheaper for the future instead of a new ptu 20k hand it over.

15. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Would you be able to post the work order after you pick up the car? I wonder if Ferrari finally found out what was causing my the issues instead of replacing the whole PTU. It will be great and exciting news for all of us here.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

otakki and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cool. so are you saying in the past the only solution was to replace the entire PTU but now the sensors are available?

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Did u ever find out why cars like urs with more miles and maybe a tougher climate than others have no issues and some do?
    Specially was any guidance ever shared on driving patterns that could damage the car or is it just bad luck at this stage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    well nothing concrete other than a couple were from impact. my car has been through all the elements but ive never bumped the front or anything. of the 2300 FFs produced how many do we think have need a ptu replacement? i really dont know what that number is and how does that number change if the sensors were available back then?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Good point. 2300 isn’t that many, I would guess a couple 100’s total might have had issues world wide?
    Really a puzzling issue to pin point. Was hoping patterns had been identified but seems like nothing concrete as you mentioned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've been thinking about this same thing. It seems ttforcefed is an original owner who takes care of the car and knows how it has been driven. A number of folks who have had problems are not the original owner, so who knows how the car was cared for or driven.

I recently bought a 2015 FF with 13K miles. I have the service records and it was regularly maintained. There is one entry for "PTU gears oil change". There were no issues. How it was driven I have no idea. Although one of the trip meters shows a top speed of 122 mph, but that's OK, I'll be topping that once the weather gets better here!

21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    "Go to dealer slowly"...Is it correct to assume that means no hard acceleration and speed <55-60mph-ish?

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im doing ptu oil every other year going forward

23. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    I've had my FF for 3 years, no warranty so I'm almost break even if my PTU decides to die (just jinxed myself).

24. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
  25. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Intense work. Did you end up sourcing a new one instead of repairing?